Can I lose weight without doing any exercise?

Options
The title basically

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    CICO is all that matters.

I usually go over my calories though without exercise, so exercising is necessary for me to remain in a deficit. Plus, as has already been said, it’s fantastic for purely health benefits.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can even do it eating nothing but junk food (google "Twinkie Diet") as long as you're consuming fewer calories than you expend (I really don't recommend this though as it's not very healthy).|

• blue_eyed_fi
    blue_eyed_fi Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can but its harder. I find exercise is good for mental as well as physical health so its just part of my daily life.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! Exercise has a lot of benefits (mental health, heart health, burning more calories, etc.) but it isn’t necessary to lose weight.

And exercise can be just going for a walk after dinner, it doesn’t have to be some super strenuous sweat inducing torture if exercise isn’t your thing.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You can but its harder. I find exercise is good for mental as well as physical health so its just part of my daily life.

It’s only harder if you can’t stay within a calorie deficit. It is good for physical/mental health though
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started my weight loss journey without doing exercise. I just wanted to get a handle on my eating habits before adding even more into my lifestyle change.

I did eventually take up running and I’m really glad I did. I do think it makes things easier for me as I get more calories to work with on run days. It’s also great for your mental and physical health.

But if you’re not ready to add in exercise you can definitely lose weight without it.
  • closedhisaccount
    closedhisaccount Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise, but even a little exercise goes a long ways. Many positive attributes to exercise besides weight loss #justathought.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Cals consumed determine wt loss or gain.

Exercise is for fitness and can allow you to eat a bit more w/o gaining weight but not as much as some ppl think.

Totally possible to become "skinny fat" and develop certsin health problems w/o gaining wt, if you eat "junk" and do not exercise.

On the other hand, ppl who eat "well" w/in their cal gosls andwho exercise will be more likely to be healthy and fit.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Yes. Disabled individuals unable to run or walk can lose weight, too. My BFF is paralyzed. Rodeo accident. They do not use a motorized chair, doing all they can to maintain upper body strength. Drives their own vehicle and maneuvers that chair into the backseat without any help. Moderates their food portions to maintain weight.