Can anyone share a stuffed green pepper with chicken recipe

Options
I would like to make stuffed green peppers with chicken tonight but I'm not quite sure how to make them, I've looked at some recipes online and they don't look exactly appealing, how do you guys make them? Any tips you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• erican09
    Options
    I've never tried these, but they look good! And most of Gina's stuff is amazing.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/chicken-and-white-bean-stuffed-peppers.html
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Funny! I love stuffed peppers but I can never make them right. Looking forward to seeing others opinions :-)
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I dont really have an actual recipe...I have altered something my mom used to do growing up. Remove tops/insides from pepper and cook. I usually steam until tender (NOT mush). I stuff mine with shredded chicken breast, stewed/diced tomatoes, brown rice, black beans, (sometimes white corn) and top with a small portion of skim mozarella cheese....YUMMY.... ( and of course some seasonings thrown in!! )

If this sounds like something you would like. Let me know I will give more details :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use wolfgang puck's recipe on foodnetwork and sub 50/50 extra lean ground beef and 99% lean ground turkey for the suggested proteins in the recipe and long grain brown rice or another better grain.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Hi :) I dont really have an actual recipe...I have altered something my mom used to do growing up. Remove tops/insides from pepper and cook. I usually steam until tender (NOT mush). I stuff mine with shredded chicken breast, stewed/diced tomatoes, brown rice, black beans, (sometimes white corn) and top with a small portion of skim mozarella cheese....YUMMY....

If this sounds like something you would like. Let me know I will give more details :)

I don't care for black beans but the other stuff sounds YUMMMMMMMMMMY
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm actually pretty lazy, and sometimes I steam them, sometimes I leave them raw, but I make chicken salad with laughing cow spreadable swiss and various veggies like tomato and onion, then throw it in there and eat that.
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No problem...just leave them out :) I have to if the kids are going to be eating them...they dont like them either, but my husband loves them...lol...

I cook the chicken and shred, cook rice and set it aside. Add meat, tomatoes, corn to skillet. Add your seasonings to taste...pepper, garlic, chili powder. (Mine are never the same twice...I like to experiment with flavor). Bring to boil, reduce heat, add cooked rice...as little or much as you like..then simmer. I usually cook peppers while its simmering. Then stuff, top with cheese and then I put in the oven and broil til the cheese is melted.

Hope this helps....Good Luck!!!!!
  • wendibartel
    Options
    My stuffed pepper reciepe is fairly simple. Not sure exactly how many calories would be in it because I havent made it since I started calculated. Anyways.

Cut off the top of the pepper (color of your choice I live green) remove the seeds. (6 decent sized peppers)

I boil mine in water until soft (but not mushy or falling apart) just to give them a head start cooking.

Mix together:
    Browned ground turkey or chicken (1.5lbs) with 1 clove minced garlic
    boil in bag brown rice (2 bags) Could use quina
    Green pepper and mushroom tomato sauce (1 jar) Reserve 2 Tablespoons to use as topping
    Mrs Dash extra spicy. (add to taste)
    Parmasean cheese ( 1 Tablespoon)

Remove peppers from water and place in 13x9 baking dish
    Fill peppers with mixture and top with shredded motzeralla cheese and remaning sauce mixed with 1/2cup water
    Bake for 30 minutes.

ENJOY!
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Oh I'm getting so much great advice you guys are awesome! Keep it comming! :love:
  • Dianaka
    Dianaka Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I make stuffed bell peepers all the time. I like to use red/yellow or orange peppers better if they are available-they are more "meaty"... Anyway, but green should work just fine too.
    Here is what you need.
    Ground chicken-1.5-2 lbs
    Bell peppers-usually-13-15. If you run out of peppers and still have chicken, you can make little meatballs and make it at the same time-they turn out yummy...
    onion-med-lg-1/2 raw and 1/2 saute w some oil in a pan until brownish
    1 egg
    spices-salt, pepper, and whatever else you like/usually use...
    rice cooked-brown or white, whatever you normally use
    vinegar
    carrot
    hunts tomato sauce(4 oz can?)

Before you start you boil some water with some vinegar.
    First you prep the chicken. Mix it with egg, grated raw onion, sauteed onion when it cooled, rice.
    Next you take peppers, cut off the top, wash inside and out and put them in the boiling water w vinegar for a few minutes-it will make peppers softer. Save the water for later use
    Take out peppers, let them cool and stuff them with chicken they you prepared.
    In the big pot cut up some onions and put it on the bottom. You can also put carrots, zucchini and whatever else you like
    Put the peppers on top. For me they usually fill up the whole pot. You can add some water w vinegar that you saved.
    Start cooking on medium.

In a separate pan put grated carrot and saute it then add the tomato sauce. You can also add some sour cream.

When the sauce is done put it in the big pot with your peppers and let everything cook for 1.5-2 hours..
    I also baked the peppers, maybe 1-1.5 hours, they turn out really good too.

It seems like a lot of work, but the whole family loves it . I generally have leftovers for 2 days, They are about 250 cal each...
    Good luck!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    In base mine off of the Biggest Loser recipe

Brown rice
    one egg
    Ground turkey (sometimes I cheat and use our homemade sausage)
    diced chiles
    Shredded cheese

You obviously don't need the chiles but I pretty much make everything spicy.

Combine all the precooked ingredients and stuff in pepper halves. Bake to your preference (I like my peppers to stay crisp) with about 1 inch of water in the bottom of the pan.
  • nkrueger1
    nkrueger1 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    New Orleans Style Stuffed Peppers

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:6 hr 30 min
    makes:4 Servings

8 ounces ground chicken breast
    1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
    1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice
    1 medium fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped* (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 large red sweet peppers or you can use green peppers too

1. In a large skillet cook chicken and celery in hot oil over medium heat until chicken is brown, stirring to break up chicken as it cooks. Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Add half of the tomatoes, the cooked brown rice, chile pepper, Cajun seasoning, and salt to chicken mixture. Remove tops, membranes, and seeds from peppers. Spoon chicken mixture into peppers. Pour reserved tomato liquid and the remaining tomatoes into the bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place peppers, filled sides up, on top of tomatoes in cooker.
    2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Transfer peppers to a serving plate. Serve with tomatoes from slow cooker.

*Note: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap

1 Serving: Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 25); Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium 590mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 6g, Sugars 14g); Protein 17g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 110%; Vitamin C 350%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Very Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2