Can't control sugary items

Options
I'm completely helpless. Everyday i want something sweet. I can quit everything but sugar is hard. I want to lose weight like 3 to 4 kgs but i am unable to control this habbit. I want to ask if anyone lost weight without giving up on biscuits cakes etc? I'm doing cardio and strength like 4 to 5 days a week.

Replies

• stephnstars
    stephnstars Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs since the 20th of April and not given up my treats. Its all about moderation. Choosing something small that can fit in your calories. I eat back most of my exercise calories as I do not want to undereat or starve myself, which is very important to me.

You can't restrict yourself as this is a lifestyle change so you need to be able to know this is something you can continue to do. Have a healthy lunch and treat yourself to a biscuit with a cup of tea. Have a slice of cake at the weekend as a treat day (I have one treat day a week).

Have it, enjoy it and move on. Just pick one small item a day if you need something daily.

Good luck!
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My loss is 35 pounds since Christmas, 2019. Not impressive, but I'm getting where I want to be. I eat sugary items, although I have cut way back on it. Example - I just had a breakfast of oatmeal with milk and brown sugar. Then there are the foods I eat with added sugar at the factory.

Thing is, if you burn more calories than you eat - no matter what color, shape, or form those calories come in - you will lose weight. Yes, we all know too much sugar is a bad thing, but sugar, alone, won't stop weight loss if CALORIES OUT ARE GREATER THAN CALORIES IN.

Eat Less
    Eat Better
    Move More
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a long term process, if you cut out all of your favorites and are miserable it will be very difficult for you to stick with it. For many people, myself included, completely eliminating certain foods is a sure fire way that you crave it so much that you eventually binge, then you feel like you failed and ruined everything and then rinse and repeat the same cycle.

Most days I save calories so I can have a serving of cookies, some M&Ms, or ice cream. I eat Doritos and potato chips... The key is that I weigh out one serving size (or whatever portion fits my calories on that day) and move on without guilt.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to handle this. One is, as suggested above, to moderate your portions of sweet things. There’s nothing magical about calories in cake which makes you gain weight more than the same number calories in broccoli.

The other is to abstain from sweets completely. Some people aren’t able to moderate certain foods and find it’s easier just to cut them out completely. I fall into this category. I am a type 2 diabetic so sugary treats aren’t good for me in any case, and it’s almost painful to have the small amount allowed to me, so I cut them out completely. In my experience, and I have heard the same from others, the sugar craving goes away after about two weeks. After that, your tastebuds reset, natural sugars taste much sweeter, and added sugar tastes almost nasty. I haven’t had any trouble doing without added sugar for four years now.

It’s up to you which approach to take. Can you eat one biscuit and then stop, or do you feel a need to eat all of them? If it’s all or nothing, you might try nothing, give it a couple of weeks, and see if it gets easier for you. If, on the other hand, you can eat one and then stop within your calorie goal, then rest assured it won’t magically stop you from losing weight.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    For me, I was physically addicted to sugar (as most of us were when we started out). As I began changing my diet over to more protein and healthier carbs - but still with some sugary snacks- a miraculous thing happened. I didn't crave sugar anymore! I couldn't believe it! Since the nature of sugar is the more you have, the more you want, my advice would be to seriously cut back on the sweets for just a little while. So your body can withdraw from its sugar addiction. Then, reintroduced some sweets into your diet. If you start feeling like you're losing control, you may want to back off again. Eventually you will find the level of sugar, and the types of items you can eat without becoming a slave to the sugar beast. Like for me, I can enjoy many kinds of sweets (candy, cookies, etc.)but I know if I have a regular soda, the rest of my day is going to be a struggle to control that sugar beast inside me! Hang in there...it DOES get better!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    This is not precisely the question you asked, but I found that it reduced my cravings for calorie-dense sweets when I started making it a point to eat a minimum of 3 servings of fruit daily. After doing that for a while, many cookies, cakes, candy, etc., started seeming too simple, not very satisfying, not worth their calories.

I still eat some sweeter foods now and then, but I don't have the cravings for them that I once did. This doesn't help everyone, but I've seen others here say it helped them, too, so it's not *just* me. Might be worth a try.

That said, I did and do still eat the occasional cookie, chocolate, ice cream or other treat/dessert within my calorie goal, and loss weight just fine (and have maintained afterward for over 4 years now). I tend to want something a little more extra special now, because things like the routine grocery store bakery stuff just isn't very appealing - not worth the calories. Something like a good homemade cookie with tasty flavors, richness, good texture, though? Yes, please. 😋
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I still eat some sweets. Some things trigger me to eat more and more of them (like homemade cookies) and so I am just not going to have them in the house while I'm losing weight. (I'm the baker of the family, so I can do this easily.) Some things don't trigger that, and satisfy the desire to eat a sweet thing. Right now, it being summer, little miniature candy bars, kept in the freezer in the garage (so they aren't handy) is working for me. This winter it will probably be hot chocolate with whipped cream again.

What tends to work for me are things that come premeasured and portioned. For me having to fetch it and unwrap it is enough to keep me from just mindlessly eating it, and I usually make sure to have that little tiny piece of candy bar at the close of a meal so that I'm eating it when I'm already fed.