Diabetes and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis

Greetings - I have just been diagnosed as diabetic. Gotta lose the weight to get feeling better. MFP has had positive reviews with several coworkers. So, I’ve decided to try it out for myself.
Any advice would be helpful.
I have to be very careful what I eat with the hashimotos. No gluten, soy, dairy, nightshades or seeds/nuts.
You’d think it would be easy to lose weight. Now, I have to count carbs also. Ugh! The stress of it all.
I love sweet potatoes! Too many carbs...no more coconut oil or sweet potato chips.
I definitely need some help to lose weight without sacrificing variety in meals.
Would love to hear from others who have traveled this path already.
Oh, I have about 80 lbs to lose.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I agree with the above poster. I was misdiagnosed as type 2 because no test was run and lost my right eye and kidneys along with most feeling in my extremities. Because they weren't certain which kind of diabetic that I was, I almost didn't receive a kidney/pancreas transplant. After the transplant, one of the doctors told me to prepare to have the pancreas removed because I was probably insulin resistant. I wasn't. The transplants are still going along after 11 years.
    Do your research. Take the medication, exercise,and diet to control sugars and keep scrupulous records of your blood sugars. These factors help in maintaining your health, and God forbid, if you need a transplant in the future.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes when I was admitted into the hospital with the flu/pneumonia for 9 days last year .... I was on insulin (off of that) ... I was put on victoza and metformin ( I took myself off both of those due to migranes ) ... I am a keto'er/low carber my BS #'s run anywhere from 140 to 120's ... I hope you find something you can do for the rest of your life ...Wishing you the very best :) Feel free to add me if you would like
  • violetrose2
    violetrose2 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for the responses. There is so much to learn and I appreciate all the information given.
    I was diagnosed as a type 2. Unfortunately it is a family gift handed down for many generations on both sides of the family. I consider myself lucky that I made it to 58 before showing signs & symptoms.
    On a side note: how do you “add” someone?
    Thanks again!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    Thank you for the responses. There is so much to learn and I appreciate all the information given.
    I was diagnosed as a type 2. Unfortunately it is a family gift handed down for many generations on both sides of the family. I consider myself lucky that I made it to 58 before showing signs & symptoms.
    Thanks again!

To add ...left click the person's picture/avatar...left click again and it will take you to the person's profile where you will see an add button

Type 2 is reversible with diet and exercise ...you got this :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Thanks again!

I still suggest getting a c-peptide to be sure. As mentioned, adult-onset type 1 is often misdiagnosed as type 2 when the diagnosis is based on symptoms alone. Since you have hashimoto's, we can say for certain that you have the genes for type 1. It is a good idea to verify with a blood test.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    What worked for me is called eating to the meter. Get an inexpensive meter with inexpensive strips so you won’t be afraid to use them often, and test after every meal until you learn how many carbs of which foods you can safely eat without spikes.

Different diabetics have different responses to the same foods, so you may be surprised. For example I can eat a ton of sweet potato with no problems, but even half a flour tortilla will spike me. You never know unless you test.
  • rheddmobile
    edited August 2020
    So... can anyone find me a reliable peer-reviewed study having to do with nightshades, etc., and Hashimoto’s? I wasn’t familiar with this restrictive diet so I looked it up and can’t find anything in the way of actual evidence by actual scientists, just a lot of claims with no evidence. One even claimed all autoimmune disease was caused by leaky gut, which is not a thing.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    So... can anyone find me a reliable peer-reviewed study having to do with nightshades, etc., and Hashimoto’s? I wasn’t familiar with this restrictive diet so I looked it up and can’t find anything in the way of actual evidence by actual scientists, just a lot of claims with no evidence. One even claimed all autoimmune disease was caused by leaky gut, which is not a thing.

Me neither. Same with gluten and other things. Some people think not eating these will stop the autoimmune response, but there's not really a lot actual scientific evidence for that. Now, reducing carbs, and especially the quick ones with diabetes is of course a different story.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member

Have you tried looking at a site called Pub Med. They have really good articles about hashimoto's thyroiditis and food (using those search words). There are a lot of free articles you can read there.

On a side note Diabetes is what got me going again here. I was diagnosed recently and my BGL's are creeping up so it's time to get jiggy with it and get healthy.
  • rheddmobile
    Kell2912 wrote: »

Have you tried looking at a site called Pub Med. They have really good articles about hashimoto's thyroiditis and food (using those search words). There are a lot of free articles you can read there.

On a side note Diabetes is what got me going again here. I was diagnosed recently and my BGL's are creeping up so it's time to get jiggy with it and get healthy.

Yes, I’m not interested in “articles” but in actual studies. The internet is sure full of articles making claims about this, but I found zero actual evidence.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited August 2020
    I was diagnosed with Type II in February 2019. I lost 40 pounds over 5 or 6 months, which has stayed off. The diabetes has been in remission since June 2019 - my 1AC is now in the normal range, below the pre-diabetic threshold.

I didn't follow any particular diet or strategy other than always logging. I started with a crash diet of 1,200 calories a day for a couple of months, using 40/30/30 macro split. I slowly increased from there, and I'm now on 2,600 a day (which is probably a little bit low for maintenance). Research by the University of Newcastle shows very low calorie diets are potentially effective in treating Type II.

More info on the low calorie diets is here:
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    ... One even claimed all autoimmune disease was caused by leaky gut, which is not a thing.

It is not a thing the way "diet people" describe it. It is something that can happen as an end-stage condition leading to death. My mother had it. Her guts wore out and were leaking into her abdomen. She died. As she took to saying in her mid-90s, "I had a good run."
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Diabetes does not suddenly show up on the doorstep. It could have been brewing for at least a decade before one receives the official diagnosis. The precursors are usually there. Heidi, wish I could have met your mother but the apples don't fall too far from the tree.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Kell2912 wrote: »

Yes, I’m not interested in “articles” but in actual studies. The internet is sure full of articles making claims about this, but I found zero actual evidence.

PubMed usually has medical journal papers.

Another source for papers / articles from peer reviewed journals is Google Scholar.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Google Hashimoto's diet studies. NIH has a few small studies
  • CFFT2002
    CFFT2002 Posts: 37 Member
    Also, why would you care about studies? Sure they are interesting, but by necessity would have to be epidemiology studies. There are no random control studies (too expensive and no one makes money from food suggestions) and still it would not guarantee it applies to you. You have to experiment on yourself
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Some insurance companies will cover consultation with a registered dietician after a TD2 diagnosis. Even if they don't, it would be worth while to talk to one if you can.

As stated above, different people respond differently to various foods. My husband is type 2 and can eat pizza without spiking, but not Chinese food. Test yourself after various meals to work out which foods are more likely to trigger sugar spikes.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I'm diabetic and on an anti-inflammatory diet, it's not easy but it's possible to manage. With diabetes my main advice is to test to your meter. I don't eat grains but am able to eat a decent amount of fruit without problems. Corn was horrible for my blood sugar, I could eat a piece of cake one night and corn a different night and the corn is worse for my blood sugar than cake. I'm also on the hypoglycemic end of the scale after weight loss, daily workouts, and going off Metformin.

Total I lost 100lbs, I started losing before I was diagnosed with diabetes by cutting back then eventually landed here and changed my diet. The anti-inflammatory part came a little over a month ago due to severe pain flares making walking difficult. I'm on the medical waiting-list for a bunch of referrals that are taking forever so I did genetic testing and came up with Celiacs on each side of the family, gluten intolerance, and some other issues as well as being vitamin-deficient in a few things. I haven't ditched nightshades yet as I grow tomatoes but am seeing a pain improvement after the last month so the anti-inflammatory part's staying the same which is basically gluten-free, sweetener-free, lactose-free, no potatoes, no corn, no beans/legumes, and no nuts. Eggs, nightshades, alliums, and caffeine are on the possible elimination list but I'd prefer to have a doctor verify things before I give up my only processed foods which are salsa and pasta sauce! How the heck do you make things taste good without tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and onions?! I need to start eating better quality lean meat too, since it's my only protein and I need a decent amount it's been expensive to deal with.