David Goggins

Options
Does anyone follow David Goggins? I am addicted to hearing his story and following him on YouTube. I guess he's not for the faint of heart and still he gets to the heart of the matter.

Replies

• jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Love me some Goggins!!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    He's an acquired taste but his book is quite inspiring. Try his podcast (David Goggins Getting Interviewed) too if you're into it. 🗣️GO HARD!
  • jdh419
    jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    He's an acquired taste but his book is quite inspiring. Try his podcast (David Goggins Getting Interviewed) too if you're into it. 🗣️GO HARD!

and... "stay hard!" After you listen to him you might feel that about yourself but that give you more inspiration. LOL!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Never heard of him. Curious how he frames those two instances of rapid weight loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Goggins

David Goggins (born February 17, 1975) is an American ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete, motivational speaker, and author. He is a retired United States Navy SEAL and former United States Air Force Tactical Air Control Party member who served in the Iraq War. He is the former world record holder for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours. His self-help memoir, Can't Hurt Me, was released in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Goggins#Health_problems

Obesity

In the late 1990s, after spending four years in the Air Force, Goggins, who weighed almost 300 pounds, was told that he was too heavy to make it through SEAL training. In less than three months, he returned weighing 190 pounds.

In 2005, when he decided to run an ultramarathon to raise money for charity, he "weighed 280 pounds from years of power lifting...Eight months later, when I ran Kiehl's Badwater Ultramarathon, I weighed 177 pounds.
  • jdh419
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Never heard of him. Curious how he frames those two instances of rapid weight loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Goggins

David Goggins (born February 17, 1975) is an American ultramarathon runner, ultra-distance cyclist, triathlete, motivational speaker, and author. He is a retired United States Navy SEAL and former United States Air Force Tactical Air Control Party member who served in the Iraq War. He is the former world record holder for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours. His self-help memoir, Can't Hurt Me, was released in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Goggins#Health_problems

Obesity

In the late 1990s, after spending four years in the Air Force, Goggins, who weighed almost 300 pounds, was told that he was too heavy to make it through SEAL training. In less than three months, he returned weighing 190 pounds.

In 2005, when he decided to run an ultramarathon to raise money for charity, he "weighed 280 pounds from years of power lifting...Eight months later, when I ran Kiehl's Badwater Ultramarathon, I weighed 177 pounds.

Kshama.

I don't think he promotes rapid weight loss. That's just what he needed to do for him. He's more of a you can do anything you set you mind to kinda dude. He cusses a lot but he's a phenomenal person.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    He is INSANE! Great book but I think he is in the top 0.0005% of the population. It really makes you realise that you can push yourself to do so much more than you think, you just need to reframe your thoughts.

However, I imagine a lot of people may read his book, try unsustainable routines, burn out or get injured then give up.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I like to listen to David Goggins daily. His motivation no nonsense style works for me, as he doesn't give room to tolerate "a self pity parade." I set my own benchmarks and create my own hurdles ... Getting things done is an easier solution.
  • jdh419
    Options
    I like to listen to David Goggins daily. His motivation no nonsense style works for me, as he doesn't give room to tolerate "a self pity parade." I set my own benchmarks and create my own hurdles ... Getting things done is an easier solution.

I do too! He keeps me motivated.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Me and a buddy did the "Goggins Challenge" back in June (run 4 miles every 4 hours for 48 hours). I'm not a huge fan of him personally but I do like some of the stuff he comes up with. Really hard core.
  • jdh419
    Options
    Wow you actually did that? That's amazing! I know one this for sure he's very unapologetic for who he is but I think a lot of it is a persona.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    First time I heard of him was when he threw a tantrum after getting lost on an ultra-marathon (Moab 240, IIRC) and had to DNF.

So definitely not impressed at all.
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    #intensity
    I recognize/remember some of what he is bringing from my time in the military. That kind of stuff was highly motivating and attractive to a younger me and still reaches me on a certain level.

I found it difficult to like what Goggins is bringing and love people at the same time. But that's just me.