What MEALS do YOU PREP? Meal prep pics/ideas!

2»

Replies

• kcox269
    kcox269 Posts: 38 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with spring rolls for a friend who wants to do them but is coeliac. Vietnamese spring rolls were traditionally made with rice papers and I actually think I prefer their crispier texture. I rolled, brushed with oil and froze. Will try them out in the air fryer with a SE asian salad for dinner tomorrow. Experimental rolls went for 10 minutes at the highest temperature in the air fryer. A convection oven would have worked as well.
    They look delicious , is it possible to have the recipe, I love spring rolls and I'm gluten free
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    kcox269 wrote: »
    I've been experimenting with spring rolls for a friend who wants to do them but is coeliac. Vietnamese spring rolls were traditionally made with rice papers and I actually think I prefer their crispier texture. I rolled, brushed with oil and froze. Will try them out in the air fryer with a SE asian salad for dinner tomorrow. Experimental rolls went for 10 minutes at the highest temperature in the air fryer. A convection oven would have worked as well.
    They look delicious , is it possible to have the recipe, I love spring rolls and I'm gluten free

Can't find the recipe I actually used but these will give you general guidelines:
    https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/baked-rice-paper-spring-rolls-gluten-free/
    https://rasamalaysia.com/vietnamese-spring-rolls-cha-gio-recipe/

I set up a work station with a large shallow bowl of hot water for dipping the rice papers. You can use hot or cold water to soften the rice paper but they soften more quickly with hot or warm water. I recommend not buying the smallest size of rice paper because that is very fiddly. I work on dry plates, and place finished spring rolls on an oiled cookie sheet. Be careful not to let finished rice paper rolls touch until you have rolled them around in the oil or brushed them with oil asother wise they stick together.

The two recipes above don't demonstrate rolling in much detail. Put a modest quantity of filling centred left to right and one third the way up from the edge closest to your body. Fold left and right sides so edges just meet in the centre of the sheet with folds parallel. Then fold bottom edge over the filling perpendicular to the first folds, then roll upward away from your body.

I use a simple filling of half and half grated carrot and chopped cooked bean vermicelli (which is gluten free). If I have quorn mince, leftover cooked mince or chopped up leftover cooked meat I will throw that in. For me the filling just gives body and texture because they real flavourings are the dipping sauces. Google Vietnamese nuoc cham for the classic dipping sauce. Another common sauce mixes a tablespoon each of hoisin and peanut butter. Then thin to taste with a combination of soy sauce (salts and thins) and water (just thins).

I air fry for 10 minutes but 10 minutes in hot oven should work too. If you can spare the calories you can shallow fry them, if you don't want the big cleanup from deep frying. I freeze raw spring rolls on the cookie trays and then transfer to ziplock bags once frozen (to prevent them from sticking together). To serve, air fry for 12 minutes from frozen.
  • acpgee
    Actually 10 minutes is what I do for wheat wrappers. To get the rice wrappers crisp I let them go 15-20 minutes.
  • acpgee
    0psm91docbvy.jpg
  • I do a lot of pre-cooking prep. I make meatballs up in advance (both Italian-style and lamb meatballs) and bake them on a rack above a pan to drain some of the fat. I bake bacon on a rack and then chop it and freeze the chopped bacon. I cook minced beef in advance with seasonings and freeze that in portions.

If I want to do a simple meal of lamb curry, I can just open a jar of curry sauce, put it in a pan, and put the right amount of meatballs for the number of people eating in the curry sauce to warm through.

I also freeze the different sorts of cooked rice I eat. I am trying to limit my nightshades due to arthritis, so I eat rice where a lot of people would put potatoes. So, rice pilaf, white rice, jasmine rice, Mexican rice, all in bags, all waiting to be reheated in the microwave.

When my partners are working, I make their lunches up for the week. They have heated lunch boxes that they put them in to reheat them while they're working, and then they bring me home the empty containers and I repack their lunch boxes for tomorrow with silverware and condiments, and add the refrigerated lunch in the morning. With the quarantine, we just all eat lunch together.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I meal prep breakfasts and snacks for my kiddos every Sunday. Today it was banana bread, hard boiled eggs, eggbake oatmeal bake, french toast, and energy balls
    For me I made coconut flour pancakes, sprouted french toast, and energy cookies.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,365 Member
    No pictures but I work 12 hrs shifts. I work MTW this week. I have prepped:

Beef, broccoli and mushroom stir fry with spring onions
    Ham and cheese egg "muffins"

3 servings of each, I'll eat 1 of each the next 3 days. Fill the gaps with coffee and half and half, beef jerky, string cheese, sugar free lime Jello and raspberries.

• kcox269
    kcox269 Posts: 38 Member
    kcox269 wrote: »

Can't find the recipe I actually used but these will give you general guidelines:
    https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/baked-rice-paper-spring-rolls-gluten-free/
    https://rasamalaysia.com/vietnamese-spring-rolls-cha-gio-recipe/

I set up a work station with a large shallow bowl of hot water for dipping the rice papers. You can use hot or cold water to soften the rice paper but they soften more quickly with hot or warm water. I recommend not buying the smallest size of rice paper because that is very fiddly. I work on dry plates, and place finished spring rolls on an oiled cookie sheet. Be careful not to let finished rice paper rolls touch until you have rolled them around in the oil or brushed them with oil asother wise they stick together.

The two recipes above don't demonstrate rolling in much detail. Put a modest quantity of filling centred left to right and one third the way up from the edge closest to your body. Fold left and right sides so edges just meet in the centre of the sheet with folds parallel. Then fold bottom edge over the filling perpendicular to the first folds, then roll upward away from your body.

I use a simple filling of half and half grated carrot and chopped cooked bean vermicelli (which is gluten free). If I have quorn mince, leftover cooked mince or chopped up leftover cooked meat I will throw that in. For me the filling just gives body and texture because they real flavourings are the dipping sauces. Google Vietnamese nuoc cham for the classic dipping sauce. Another common sauce mixes a tablespoon each of hoisin and peanut butter. Then thin to taste with a combination of soy sauce (salts and thins) and water (just thins).

I air fry for 10 minutes but 10 minutes in hot oven should work too. If you can spare the calories you can shallow fry them, if you don't want the big cleanup from deep frying. I freeze raw spring rolls on the cookie trays and then transfer to ziplock bags once frozen (to prevent them from sticking together). To serve, air fry for 12 minutes from frozen.

Thanks😁😁😁
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I am new to meal prepping but plan to make it a regular from now on. Cooking on Sundays only, 3-4 meals that I can then eat for lunch/dinner over the week to come. (My adult daughter does cook a few times each week for the rest of the family, who are not watching their calories...)

My menu - still looking to expand:

Chili made w/ 85/15 ground beef or turkey, crumbled drained & rinsed
    Sloppy Joes made w/ 85/15 ground beef crumbled drained & rinsed, green peppers, white onions (I eat w/ a fork)
    Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup
    Egg Rolls in a Bowl (cabbage, pork sausage, soy sauce, etc. - comes out tasting like the filling in an egg roll)
    Baked penne pasta w/ Jennie-O hot turkey sausage
    Bluecheese meatloaf (or meatballs) made w/ 85/15 ground turkey (add quick sides later like steam in microwave frozen veggies)
    Shrimp 'Fried' Rice made in a rice cooker
    Black Beans & Rice w/ Andoille Sausage
  • acpgee
    My normal gift for new parents is an afternoon of batch cooking a bunch of freezer meals. One couple who was new to batch cooking keeps asking me to come back to help out with their batch cooking. My hubby plays with their kid while the rest of us cook. Saturday we filled up their freezer with meat loaf and gratin dauphinoise. Afterwards, the four of us ate the large square container of dauphinoise, one of the meat loaves and some veggie sides of tomato salad and green beans with hollandaise.
    sy7uvelfm0xr.jpeg
    m76s7ehzfxrk.jpeg
    967ubyozmxco.jpeg
  • petegurd
    petegurd Posts: 4 Member
    no photo but night shift dinner was a mixed salad with olives, low fat dressing and sardines in brine....good mix of sweet, savoury and fairly clean/low carb
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Actually 10 minutes is what I do for wheat wrappers. To get the rice wrappers crisp I let them go 15-20 minutes.
    Thank you so much. I occasionally buy insanely expensive frozen gf spring rolls, but I'd much rather make them.