My results after 2 weeks of eating clean

Hello,

49 year old male, 5'5", current weight 195.2
I'm looking to create muscle and reduce my bodyfat.

I've been lifting weights 5 days a week for about 11 weeks now, I took 2 weeks off in between to rest and recover. I think I only missed 3 days over all.

I was eating well during the week but trashing it all on the weekends. Not too bad but bad enough.

In the last 2 weeks I've stopped doing that and stayed clean on the weekends.

Here are my results.
I put my calories at 2577 per tdeecalculator

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=49&g=male&lbs=192&in=65&act=1.55&bf=&f=1

(my weight was 192 when I created this months ago)

The first week I consumed 10163 calories and was under my target by 4088 (for the week) and that resulted in a loss of 2.2 pounds. That week was missing calories on the first day though so +2k there, I don't think I ate that clean on that Sunday so it might have been 3k.

The second week I consumed 13997 calories and lost .8 pounds

Sunday to Sunday I'm -2.4 pounds which I realize is alot of water weight.

I've attached a picture of my spreadsheet.

I'm not sure what I want to do next but considering not making any changes for 2 more weeks and see what my results will be then. Things might just be great as they are and this is my body transforming fat to muscle ( I can see that visually) and the weight only shifts slightly. I'm guessing 2 weeks is not enough time to really measure overall.

I'm also considering some of the carb cycling I read about in the Wolverine Workout

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Glad to hear you are working to better yourself and also gain benefits of training.

If by "eating clean" you mean consuming under caloric goal, then things get will get easier the more consistent you are.

One thing I like to bring up as weight loss isn't linear and sometimes people might be disappointed in results on random weeks...

Is you note you were in a caloric deficit of just over 4k and logged a loss of over 2lbs. We shouldn't expect that result consistently with the idea it takes roughly 3500 calories to lose one pound on average.

I also might add that taking 2 weeks off of training within 11 week period to rest and recover might indicate that that program isn't necessarily ideal for you. Something that you can adhere to on a weekly basis without the need of breaking off weeks away from training would be more suitable to your current fitness.

I wouldn't suggest carb cycling for someone who is novel to training. I advice keeping it as simple as possible and maybe think adhearance for long term goals
  • WehttamThims
    WehttamThims Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the input.
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Glad to hear you are working to better yourself and also gain benefits of training.

If by "eating clean" you mean consuming under caloric goal, then things get will get easier the more consistent you are.

I meant I wasn't getting take out and over eating on weekends. I'd stick to the same home made food and portions as I do Mon-Fri.

One thing I like to bring up as weight loss isn't linear and sometimes people might be disappointed in results on random weeks...

Is you note you were in a caloric deficit of just over 4k and logged a loss of over 2lbs. We shouldn't expect that result consistently with the idea it takes roughly 3500 calories to lose one pound on average.

Yes I'm familiar with that. For a while I ignored my scale (at the suggestion of someone) but my mindset wasn't great during that time either because I was overeating thinking 'well I'm lifting weights, I'll either burn this off or it'll turn to muscle'. When I decided to get back on the scale I was up +5 and close to 200 so that freaked me out.
    I also might add that taking 2 weeks off of training within 11 week period to rest and recover might indicate that that program isn't necessarily ideal for you. Something that you can adhere to on a weekly basis without the need of breaking off weeks away from training would be more suitable to your current fitness.

The weeks off were a mixture of work requirement, mental break and physical break which may have been more perceived mentally.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Yes I'm familiar with that. For a while I ignored my scale (at the suggestion of someone) but my mindset wasn't great during that time either because I was overeating thinking 'well I'm lifting weights, I'll either burn this off or it'll turn to muscle'. When I decided to get back on the scale I was up +5 and close to 200 so that freaked me out.
    Fat doesn't turn to muscle. They are two entirely different things.
    The weeks off were a mixture of work requirement, mental break and physical break which may have been more perceived mentally.
    Exactly what I'm talking about. Your load management is more than likely in poor shgape within your program if you can't find the time to train, feel the need for a physical and/or mental break.
  • WehttamThims
    Fat doesn't turn to muscle. They are two entirely different things.

I meant the extra food I was eating would go to building muscle. I allowed myself in indulge in larger portions for example with the thought that it'll go towards building muscle.
    Exactly what I'm talking about. Your load management is more than likely in poor shgape within your program if you can't find the time to train, feel the need for a physical and/or mental break.
    I see your point. There is also an element of thought management as well particularly when it comes to time.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    The base of the pyramid is establishing direction. Appropriate eating goals that don't result in too large or too small a deficit / surplus as the case may be for each person. Appropriate level of exercise stimulus as hinted at above. Appropriate level of involvement as perhaps hinted at by your need to take a breather.

You have a lot of optimization left at the base of the pyramid before introducing top of the pyramid optimizations that come with excess mental and perceptual issues. Carb cycling will offer relatively small benefits at your current level and will result in large water weight variations which are guaranteed to mess with your brain.

Find a way you can eat long term that is still compatible with your goals.

You're not (yet) in the Olympics and willing to sacrifice everything in life to reach your fitness goals. Carb cycling and totally ignoring social needs may be... a step towards long term unsustainability. Reviewing what you consume on the weekends and tweaking it towards something that sets you back a little bit while still enjoying yourself vs your previous habit of going all out and setting yourself back a lot... maybe worth it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I'm going to be that guy..

Im sorry to tell you that you cannot transform fatty adipose tissue into contractile tissue such as skeletal muscle.

I personally believe you are reading far too much into this. Pick a deficit. Run it till your weight loss begins to slow over several weeks. At that point reduce or reevaluate.
  • WehttamThims
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The base of the pyramid is establishing direction. Appropriate eating goals that don't result in too large or too small a deficit / surplus as the case may be for each person. Appropriate level of exercise stimulus as hinted at above. Appropriate level of involvement as perhaps hinted at by your need to take a breather.

You have a lot of optimization left at the base of the pyramid before introducing top of the pyramid optimizations that come with excess mental and perceptual issues.

Carb cycling will offer relatively small benefits at your current level and will result in large water weight variations which are guaranteed to mess with your brain.

thanks for that analogy, the pyramid, that's helpful. Thanks
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Find a way you can eat long term that is still compatible with your goals.

You're not (yet) in the Olympics and willing to sacrifice everything in life to reach your fitness goals. Carb cycling and totally ignoring social needs may be... a step towards long term unsustainability. Reviewing what you consume on the weekends and tweaking it towards something that sets you back a little bit while still enjoying yourself vs your previous habit of going all out and setting yourself back a lot... maybe worth it.

I'm finding that balance now. I've been good the last 3 weekends and feel great about it. Today I ate out because I chose too but the portions were small and I'm not concerned about it.