Polar FT4 - Not Burning Many Calories

Options
I generally exercise 45-60 minutes a day on the elliptical. I change up the incline and workout the whole time at 4.5mph, and I'm usually "in the zone" throughout the whole time. In an hour, my HRM says I've only burned about 350 calories. A lot of people have been wondering if this is correct since it does seem kind of low. I suppose it's because I see people burn up to 600 calories in an hour, and I'm thinking, "Dude, that would take me two hours!" Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Replies

• crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    The HRM is calculating based on your heart rate. The "zone" is ok for fat burning. You can burn more calories and increase your stamina with a higher pace. if you like

"The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the fat burning zone or at lower intensities. However, at higher intensities (70-90% of your maximum heart rate), you burn a greater number of overall calories, which is what matters when it comes to losing weight. The chart below details the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:"

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 also. To give you an idea of calories burned for me: on Monday I ran/walked (brisk) for 52 minutes and burned over 500 calories. I really worked up a sweat, I run outside and it's quite hill-y.

Last night I got on the elliptical, did it for 44 minutes and only burned 200 calories.

I've learned the lower the impact, the less calories burned.

ETA: Whenever I run, I'm way over the "zone" number for pretty much the entire workout; on the ellliptical I was barely over the zone threshold.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I think your HRM is probably more accurate --- when I see poeple burn 900 calories on it in an hour I pretty much know they are using MFP or guessing.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I think your HRM is probably more accurate --- when I see poeple burn 900 calories on it in an hour I pretty much know they are using MFP or guessing.

Or they have a cheap (aka Timex) HRM!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That seems really, really low if I'm reading your ticker right in your profile (since part of the calorie burn equation is weight). 4.5 MPH walking is kicking butt - my little legs won't take me that fast, I have to jog it. So you have to be getting your heart rate up.

Just to give you a benchmark - at my current weight - 185 - I burn about 450-500 calories walking at 4.0 for 1 hour (with 10 of those minutes being lower for warm up and cool down).

Are you sure your chest strap is snug? Do you check your heart rate on your wrist occasionally during the workout to be sure its reading your HR? Did you program the watch with your height and weight?
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    are you using resistance? For me to burn 900 cal. an hour (a 240 lb. male) I would have to have it set on the highest resistance available... at the gym. If you are using one at home, those aren't as good... so you may not be getting a serious workout and just "going through the motions"
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    I'd say your HRM is more accurate. I have a Polar FT7 and I find I burn less than what MFP for some things, I'd trust my HRM over MFP calcualtions any day.
  • fitstrong82
    Options
    The reason why some people can burn up to 600 calories is because of the rate of speed at which they are moving. At 4.5 mph you appear to be on first level of the elliptical (depending on the machine). Try increasing your level to 2 and then 3 as you are able to sustain it. I work out on the elliptical for 20 min at a level 4 and burn about 230 calories. If we do the math that means for the hour I would burn 690 calories. Try it and let me know if you see any improvement.

Thanks!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I have a really hard time getting my hr up on an elliptical or bike. I have to do some real running to do 600 in an hour.

A keep in mind that people who weigh more will burn more with the same amount of exercise.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 also and I think it is more accurate than other methods of calculating (i.e. treadmills or ellipticals). When I started counting on the HRM over the treadmill- the numbers were significantly off. I find that if I work harder I burn more- as soon as I start to get " the hang of something" my HR goes down and so does my calorie burn.
  • Mungertj
    Options
    Hi there,
    Not sure how that can be but I have a question: When you are doing your cardio, are you varying the "intensities" of your workout? What I mean is are you oscillating between the higher-end and lower-end of your zone? I find that helps bump-up my caloric burn. Also, does your HRM need to be adjusted/calibrated to your specifications? I hope that helps. Keep up the great work!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Oops - I read treadmill, not elliptical. I'm with the others - unless the resistance is set high, I don't burn as many on the elliptical as MFP says. I don't use it enough to give you a ball park though - I tend to stick to the treadmill since I burn more calories there.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Hi there,
    Not sure how that can be but I have a question: When you are doing your cardio, are you varying the "intensities" of your workout? What I mean is are you oscillating between the higher-end and lower-end of your zone? I find that helps bump-up my caloric burn. Also, does your HRM need to be adjusted/calibrated to your specifications? I hope that helps. Keep up the great work!

Yes, I've been doing a lot of interval training and making sure that my heart rate goes up and down throughout my hour of exercise. I generally have it on the most intensive program which lowers and increases the incline/resistance throughout the workout. At my highest, my heart rate will be at 180, and I try not to go under 125 while I'm exercising. I sweat more on there than I do during Bikram yoga! I'm sure I need to adjust the weight since I've lost about twenty pounds since using it as well. Thanks for your help!

I'm just kind of iffy about it, because I weigh about 300 pounds, and I can tell that I'm definitely getting stronger and faster. Unfortunately, MFP would say that five minutes on the elliptical was 100 calories, so I wanted to get an HRM to make sure and to really get into my own cardio "groove." I realized when I first received it, I was pushing myself way too hard, so it's really been helping. I really don't mind if it's under, but it just seems very much under.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    Something sounds way off if at 300lbs you are only burning that many in a hour. Is your meter maintaining an accurate pulse throughout?
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Something sounds way off if at 300lbs you are only burning that many in a hour. Is your meter maintaining an accurate pulse throughout?

I've tested it out quite a few times, and I'm constantly checking it as my pulse increases throughout the exercise. It's very accurate. I went through the settings again and made sure that my age, weight, etc. were correct. I've also tested it out with other exercises. If I walk at a leisurely pace for about 30 minutes, I only burn about 110 calories. Bikram yoga for 90 minutes is only 450-470.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    that is about what my numbers look like too but it does sound low when you weight that much.

MAybe you are just in really good cardio vascular health for your weight - I have a friend like that. I weighed 150 and he weighed 280 and I'd be out of breath walking around with him while he was totally fine.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    Well maybe I a living in a dream world. LOL.

I do 30 mins on the elliptical @ 6-7mph and I usually get credited with about 470cals using mfp, while the machine itself says 350. A 30min walk @ 3mph gives me about 166cals.

I will have to get myself a hrm. Its the only way to be sure I guess. But yours does seem off to me.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7M and it is WAY lower than what MFP says. I did a 25 minute 15mph exercise bike ride this morning and was squarely in my target range and it said I burned 233 calories. MFP wanted to give me credit for 500 or so. I go with the HRM over MFP.
  • crazyeaCHANGED
    Options
    I guess I have some adjustments to make. :sad:
  • Glos1976
    Options
    I have an FT4 that I'm very happy with. Generally I find my HRM cals burned are about 40% less than what MFP estimates it to be.

Your cals burned do seem rather low though.