Motivation for working out

Options
Hope everyone is well! Any tips for getting motivated to workout?especially after being at work all day. Any advice will be appreciated 🙂

Replies

• Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I shouldn’t even respond because i haven’t worked out in so long But when i was working i found it was better to do it first thing in the morning. Setting the alarm even 15 minutes earlier than necessary is horrible however i got into a routine and once i was done i was done for the day and i didn’t have to rest is the day to talk myself out of working out. I hope to get back to that soon!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    If I have to go to the gym after work (I prefer going in the mornings before work), I change into my gym clothes at work and go straight to the gym. For some reason, that helps a lot. I cannot go home from work and then try to go to the gym, I just won't leave the house again.

It is much easier for me to go to the gym in the morning, before I'm tired and stressed from a long day at work.
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yes, straight after work is best for me as well. Once I sit down on that sofa after dinner I won't get up anymore.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Another vote for first thing in the morning. Regardless of how good it's looked on paper to workout in the evenings something would invariably interfere more often than not.
  • carla7328
    carla7328 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I’m not a gym person just yet too many judgemental people live near me haha, during lockdown when my work had to close I was working out twice a day and on a roll then I had to go back to work and the excuses started coming how I’m tired etc, I will work my way back to doing twice a day and I might just get straight in my workout gear when I get home see if that gets me motivated 🙂
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have not been going to the gym due to the quarantine. I have some favorite workout videos on You Tube that I do. I motivate myself by choosing an activity that I want to do and saying I can do it after I workout. Sometimes if I am really unmotivated I will choose a short video and at least do that- generally I will add another short one in when I finish but if I don't I have at least done something. I also remind myself of my whys and for me it is to lower my blood sugar and just be healthier. Good luck!
  • carla7328
    carla7328 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did it! 30mins and 168 calories lighter better than nothing 🙂 progress will get better and longer 💪🏼
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My standard advice lately has been that if you struggle with motivation/compliance/whatever to initially treat the formation of an exercise habit more important than the actual exercise.

First you need to decide on a time and place for exercise and make it firm. Choose both with the idea that an outside interference would be a rare situation. This is why many of us exercise at early o'clock in the morning. Only taking someone to an early flight would normally interfere and that is even less likely in a covid world.

Second would be to reduce the total number of steps to start exercising. This might include laying out your workout clothes, prepacking a gym bag, filling the water bottle, etc. Do this before your scheduled time. The more steps you have the more likely it is you might talk yourself out of it. Also, when you invest your time into an activity in advance you are making a nonverbal contract with yourself that will make you feel more compelled to do it. Lastly, you place things like your clothes in your path it is like visually nagging yourself to do it.

Third would be to set limits on how much you do for the first week or so. You mentioned 30 minutes of an activity. If that felt like you were really pushing yourself then only allow yourself to do 20 minutes or 15. If it feels too easy or almost irritating that you could do more then good. You can push yourself all you want a little later. Get into the habit first. Your brain is associating how all this feels with the activity. If you make it really hard then you will be more internally resistant to doing it more. If you make it easy then that is the association that will form.

Fourth is to make sure you are fueling yourself enough. The amount I love to exercise is regulated by how good I feel when I do it. I have made the mistake of not eating enough a few times and the exercise I normally love is the exercise I absolutely hated.