Spinning?

Options
So my gym has a studio cycle (spinning) class and I've been told by many friends that it's a great workout and really fun, but I'm kind of apprehensive about going in by myself my first time. Any tips or suggestions would be really welcome :)

Replies

• Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just started spinning in June of this year.

I would suggest you go a little early and let the instructor know that it is your first time. The instructor will show you how to set up your bike and give you some guidelines.

Have fun!

K
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    Don't be nervous! Going with a friend is pointless...you won't be able to talk in the class anyway. Just go! But get there about ten minutes early so that that instructor can help you properly set up your bike. You will get an amazing burn and your booty will hurt like you've never known...but it won't hurt after your second class, I promise!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    I'm trying it next week, however a friend of mine went and said it put her back out. Is it harsh on the back and knees?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I just did it last saturday - next time I go I am purchasing a padded seat. looking forward to go this saturday - fingers crossed!!
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    I'm trying it next week, however a friend of mine went and said it put her back out. Is it harsh on the back and knees?

I have arthritis in both knees so can't jog or run. I started spinning because of a recommendation from my Joint Surgeon. It is VERY easy on my knees but your legs get very tired.

I have never had an issue with my back hurting though but do not have a bad back. Maybe the bike was not set up properly? If the bike is set up correctly, you actually keep a straight back and are not supposed to slouch or anything.

I COMPLETELY agree with the sore behind! It takes a class or two to get used to the seat but after that, I have not had any problems at all.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

No it is NOT harsh on the back and knees. Spin (and cycling in general) are actually very easy on the knees and joints. I suspect your friend did not get her bike set up properly. It is very important that the seat is in the right position, as well as the handlebars.

I have had degenerative chondromalacia in my knees since the age of 11, so I have no cartilege left. I have bone on bone grinding so I will not do anything painful--no running, stair-climbers, step classes, etc. I have been spinning for 8 years and it's perfect. I'm a spin instructor, so I wouldn't lie to you :)

Make sure you arrive 10 min early so the instructor can set you up. Bring a LARGE water bottle. Remember it is YOUR class, so do what you can. It will be hard the first time, and you will be sore in the saddle if you are not used to riding. However, if you go 3x in 2 weeks, you will be able to do everything in the class and your bum will no longer hurt.

Spin is the best bang for the buck, so to speak, as far as burning a large amount of calories in a short period of time. It is fantastic for building cardio endurance, and it is FUN!

Obviously different instructors have different styles so check out a few different classes (tell the 2nd and 3rd instructors that you are new too, so you can get the best advice from each on bike set-up). Find an instructor whose music and style motivate you and you'll love it!

BTW, unless you plan on road or mountain bike riding, there is no need to buy padded bike shorts or seats for spin. Your bum will be used to the saddle after a few classes.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    I just did it last saturday - next time I go I am purchasing a padded seat. looking forward to go this saturday - fingers crossed!!

DON'T BUY A PADDED SEAT! Trust me this is a waste of your money. After 3 times, your booty will be used to the saddle.

blessings.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Spinning is an awesome calorie burn. I am a beginner and sometimes I can't keep up with the levels of the class but I just push myself more each time. I do have padded shorts and I do not regret the purchase. ($25 at Big 5). But they are unnecessary and like everyone says, you will get used to the seat.

Spinning is so easy on the joints. Running is what hurts me. If I have hip pain from other exercising, it will be completely gone after spin class. Try it! It's great!
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I love spinning class!!! It's a fabulous workout! I agree... don't buy the padded seat!!!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :) I may have to check out a class at my gym. lol Was wondering about the seat especially since i have a little extra junk in the truck... Glad to hear it's easy on the joints and back...
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Great thread! Thanks everyone. I've been thinking of a spinning class at the Uni gym that runs at lunchtime - I'm hoping to be able to go at least once a week along with gym workouts twice a week.

Will be sure to turn up ealy.
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way when I first tried spinning. Now, I love it so much, I'm an instructor. The one thing you must do, is go to the instructor and ask for help setting up your bike. You want to make sure you're positioned correctly so that you don't injur youself. Then, take the first class at your own pace, and have fun! Get lost in the music...that's the best part.

You're going to be sore for the next week or so, but it will get better, I promise!! HAVE FUN!!!
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way when I first tried spinning. Now, I love it so much, I'm an instructor. The one thing you must do, is go to the instructor and ask for help setting up your bike. You want to make sure you're positioned correctly so that you don't injur youself. Then, take the first class at your own pace, and have fun! Get lost in the music...that's the best part.

You're going to be sore for the next week or so, but it will get better, I promise!! HAVE FUN!!!
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

No it is NOT harsh on the back and knees. Spin (and cycling in general) are actually very easy on the knees and joints. I suspect your friend did not get her bike set up properly. It is very important that the seat is in the right position, as well as the handlebars.

I have had degenerative chondromalacia in my knees since the age of 11, so I have no cartilege left. I have bone on bone grinding so I will not do anything painful--no running, stair-climbers, step classes, etc. I have been spinning for 8 years and it's perfect. I'm a spin instructor, so I wouldn't lie to you :)

Make sure you arrive 10 min early so the instructor can set you up. Bring a LARGE water bottle. Remember it is YOUR class, so do what you can. It will be hard the first time, and you will be sore in the saddle if you are not used to riding. However, if you go 3x in 2 weeks, you will be able to do everything in the class and your bum will no longer hurt.

Spin is the best bang for the buck, so to speak, as far as burning a large amount of calories in a short period of time. It is fantastic for building cardio endurance, and it is FUN!

Obviously different instructors have different styles so check out a few different classes (tell the 2nd and 3rd instructors that you are new too, so you can get the best advice from each on bike set-up). Find an instructor whose music and style motivate you and you'll love it!

BTW, unless you plan on road or mountain bike riding, there is no need to buy padded bike shorts or seats for spin. Your bum will be used to the saddle after a few classes.

blessings.

I agree 100% Great advice!
  • Essexgirly
    Options
    I'm also a seasoned spinner, have been doing it for about 2 years now and i still love it!

I always push myself as hard as i can, especially for the climbs, i always tell myself 'is this the best you can do' when the going gets tough, and that thought always helps me to push just that bit harder!

Enjoy the class and i agree with everyone else, the extra padding isnt required once your bum gets used to it, lol
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I see a noon hour spin class locally that I'd like to try, but it seems so intimidating. I think I'll print out the gym schedule again and fit a class in thanks to the encouraging words from everyone. Thanks again for posting this!
  • Essexgirly
    Options
    Sara, i can see why you find it intimidating but it really isnt like that! As the others have said, get there early and get the instructor to show you how to set up your bike, then once the class starts everyone will be watching the instructor and working themselves too hard to notice what you are doing!

The newbies in my classes tend to choose the bikes at the back, which is fine if you feel a bit self conscious, but maybe you would benefit from being nearer the front (depending on how your spin studio is set out) so you can see what the instructor is doing so you build a good technique from the start.

But most of all, just enjoy it and go with the flow, after the class you will feel fantastic, if a bit sore underneath! :wink:
  • SaraEWrig
    SaraEWrig Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! You're right - I likely would tend to gravitate towards the back, but know that being near the front would be best for me! I just looked at the schedule, the next class that I could make work is next Monday. I put it on my calendar!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

DON'T BUY A PADDED SEAT! Trust me this is a waste of your money. After 3 times, your booty will be used to the saddle.

blessings.

Thanks, But why not but the padded seat? I am 319lbs, Thats alot of weight on that seat. After my first class I wasn't able to exercise all week until I went back last saturday for my 2nd spinning class. I am going to workout more this week b/c I just have too... I appreciate you all your imput.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    well you can buy it if you want to, but the point is you don't need to. you will be used to the saddle if you spin 3 times in 2 weeks.

Just trying to save you money and laundry.

blessings.