Modifying exercises for seniors

Options
Hello! I started a food and exercise journal due to the need to lose inches and weight. Many years ago I was active as a marathon runner-having done many shorter races as well for years. Due to the beginning of knee and hip issues running so many miles, I resorted to walking instead. I was also active in the gym to keep both upper and lower body strength. Now that I am over 60 and having gained excess inches and weight, I found that most of the exercises on your website videos I cannot do (eg planks, crunches, squats). Do you have videos or links that I can do these exercises but are modified for those with ankle, foot, or shoulder issues yet help build up strength and muscles in the body as well?

Sincerely,
Kimi

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Squats are a great exercise and worth persisting with. If you need help with supporting some of your body weight to make them do-able then try standing next to a kitchen counter and holding on. Or if you have a stout stair banister and a long piece of fabric or rope (or even a resistance band) then use that as if it were a suspension trainer.

Look up the bird dog exercise - that will suffice instead of planks for now. Also look up quadruped glute exercises.

Crunches are pretty grim in my humble opinion and I never bother with them. Bird dogs done properly and slowly target the abs. Glute bridges target the glutes (obviously) but also engage abs. Look up hollow holds (on your back) but don't lower legs down too far at first and keep arms forward by your sides rather than putting them behind your head. Supermans are also good.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    Do you live where there are aquafit type classes offerred? My main form of exercise for the first couple of years I was losing weight was a deep water running class three or four times a week. You can make the workout as intense as you like and there were people in the class because they had hip, back, or knee injuries that prevented them from enjoying regular cardio. Now that I've lost weight I do a variety of different things (run, ski, paddle, bike, etc) but I still enjoy the deep water running class a couple of times a month for the ab work (at least I did before everything was shut down for covid-19!).

Is yoga do-able for you? I know that some kneeling poses (cat/cow, for example) are too uncomfortable for some types of knee damage, but may be okay for you? In the fall I did a 30 day yoga challenge and it aggravated an old shoulder injury so for me, as much as I love yoga, I can only do it once or twice a week. Maybe check out some yoga videos on youtube and see what you think? I enjoy Yoga With Adrienn, but there are lots out there.

Can you bike? A friend of mine had knee surgery and biking was part of her rehab. It would definitely depend on your injury, of course.

You don't say how much weight you have to lose, but my hope is that every pound lost will ease some of your joint pain. BTW, I'm over 60 too, but don't consider myself "a senior" LOL
  • kimicrescenzo
    kimicrescenzo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions. Will start trying them out.
  • TickleAnn
    TickleAnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've found a bunch of great videos by searching on "low-impact". Maybe that's what you need? The best of luck!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I went searching for "exercise" and "seniors" and found this thread. It's very discouraging when you go to a video and it says, "If a little old lady can do 10 reps of this, it isn't good enough for you." I am almost 72 myself and do what I can. I found many of the videos above - Leslie Sansone and also Jenny McClendon's channel for beginners and seniors. But it's hard to know what (and how much) we should do as we age when we read through the posts on this message board. I would hope this renews this thread and I can hear from more of you.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    it seems like the issue in the first post isn't from being a senior - it's from having injuries and needing to work around them. that can happen at literally any age. i had injuries in my 40s that i've had to find workarounds for every since (i'm 63).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are a gazillion youtube videos of exercises, both seated and standing, for seniors. Just add the word seniors to your search and they will pop up.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    There are a gazillion youtube videos of exercises, both seated and standing, for seniors. Just add the word seniors to your search and they will pop up.

With that said, probably should keep away from seated exercises as much as possible. A senior wants to maintain/build balance and core stability. Sitting takes most of that benefit away from the exercise.

Obviously if one can't exercise standing seated is better than none.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Here is one I do with my mom. It has a seated senior and a standing one.

https://youtu.be/OgqVzTWNWCs
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As far as planks are concerned, the same modifications used for pushups will work for planks - try “planking” against a higher surface such as a chair seat, a counter, or even a wall. Move downward as you become stronger. Stairs are also a good way of gradually working your way down an incline.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Not sure if she is back to the gym yet after her recent health issues, but inspirational octogenarian Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been serious about strength training for over 20 years. I do a modified version of her workout at home (I add some and drop some, have a bench, and a set of dumbbells from 3 - 25 pounds.)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/20/ruth-bader-ginsburg-bodyweight-strength-training-exercises.html

https://www.amazon.com/RBG-Workout-How-Stays-Strong/dp/1328919129/

I'm not a beginner, but found several programs supposedly suitable for beginners actually weren't. I'd purchased "Strong Curves" and "Strong" and also found all the flipping around extremely annoying. I settled on RBG's little workout book a few years back and am very happy with it.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Jessica Smith workout DVD's (She also is on youtube). I can't imagine going to an exercise class-there's no pause button! Plus I don't do well in groups.
    I am not a talented athlete and have health issues too but I'm still able to do a whole lot of stuff: swim, hike, backpack, kayak, and bike. And none of it at a level that would or should impress anybody. (Although I know seniors who do that stuff at a level that is impressive) The triathlon days are behind me as is skiing.
    The only thing I have going for me is endurance, I'm definitely a tortoise and not a hare.
    About 10 years ago I had gotten rather inactive. I dropped something on the floor and it was a struggle to get back up after I retrieved it. To do that today is no problem.
    I'm all about functionality and enjoying what I can for as long as I can.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm a SENIOR; 70 in 1 month.

Don't believe in any program supposedly designed just for seniors. Everyone is different, based on age, sex, genetics, strength, prior training and medical/physical condition.

So, each program should be targeted specifically 2 the person involved andnot just to some arbitrary group.
  • catmama256
    catmama256 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Check out oxycise! 15 minutes a day zero impact. Oxycise.com