Sleep and Calories Question

DixieCup
DixieCup Posts: 16
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, everyone. I have a question about sleeping and calories. I am a huge insomniac. Runs in the family...tried everything under the sun, including prescription sleeping pills (which only work sometimes) and not exercising in the evening, and not drinking caffeine and everything else imaginable. I know that getting enough sleep is important for losing weight, so sometimes if I don't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning, I sleep late to get at least 6-8 hours. My question is...If I sleep until 10 am, then go to bed at 11 pm. I am only awake 13 hours. Should I eat less calories because I am awake for a shorter amount of time, or stay with the same calorie goals for the day (1400)? I still try to exercise at least 30 minutes everyday. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• DixieCup
    DixieCup Posts: 16
    Hey, everyone. I have a question about sleeping and calories. I am a huge insomniac. Runs in the family...tried everything under the sun, including prescription sleeping pills (which only work sometimes) and not exercising in the evening, and not drinking caffeine and everything else imaginable. I know that getting enough sleep is important for losing weight, so sometimes if I don't get to bed until the wee hours of the morning, I sleep late to get at least 6-8 hours. My question is...If I sleep until 10 am, then go to bed at 11 pm. I am only awake 13 hours. Should I eat less calories because I am awake for a shorter amount of time, or stay with the same calorie goals for the day (1400)? I still try to exercise at least 30 minutes everyday. Sorry if this is confusing. Thanks for the help!
  • Hey DixieCup, sorry to hear about your sleeping patterns - I know that must be frustrating. I do have an answer that may be just as confusing as your question though! :) I once read somewhere that your body burns more calories while you're sleeping than it does if you're just sitting there. At first thought your rational seems to make sense: you're awake less so eat less. What I'm saying, though, is that if you were awake for an extra hour what would you be doing? If it would be time spent sitting at a computer or watching TV then you're better off asleep. Does that make sense at all?

I guess your real answer will come in time. If you're struggling to lose weight then this may be the issue. Also, if you feel you're not needing the full 1400 calories then it couldn't hurt to cut back to see how your body repsonds. Don't starve yourself but don't eat more than you need (easier said than done)!
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    I was kind of wondering the same type of question myself...I don't have trouble sleeping, but on Wednesdays (today!) I have to get up very early (4:15 am), and my day does not end until 9 pm. I wondered - since I am up more hours and am EXHAUSTED - does this mean I am burning more calories than on normal days? I certainly FEEL more hungry, but I didn't know if it was really my exhausted brain telling me I need sleep but it feels like hunger instead.
This discussion has been closed.