Help with FISH recipes

Options
I need to incorporate fish into my weekly suppers...but every time I try it...it's not good...and it's not cheap either! Do you guys know of any frozen packs of fish that are actually good...and affordable...and have easy recipes that are tasty??? PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco close, try Morey’s Marinated Wild Alaskan Salmon (Frozen). One Filet is 245 cal, 30g protein, 70g cholesterol, 14g fat, 1g carb, and 270 mg sodium. It takes 17 minutes to coke at 375 and is absolutely delicious.
  • kpatt2011
    Options
    Yes, I shop at Costco! Thank you so much:-) Salmon is my favorite fish too!!!
  • dvarrassi12
    Options
    I love fish so I'm partial to most kinds, but I've come up with a way to cook it that seems to please everyone I've made it for. You can really use it for any type of fish because they all go well with lemon, but my favorites are tilapia and orange roughy.

Cut a lemon into slices, doesn't really matter how big. Place the slices on a piece of foil, then put the fish on top of the lemons. Brush the fish with a small amount of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. You can also squeeze a little extra lemon juice on the top and add some chopped garlic. Fold up the foil so that it makes a pouch and grill or bake.

The pouch helps steam the fish and keep it nice and moist. Enjoy!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    For salmon I buy the frozen filets. To make four I use 4tbsp of light cream cheese, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of dill. spread it on the fish and bake according to the directions. serve with asparagus and rice if you need the cals. :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen cod fillets from Walmart. The key is to defrost them and make sure you pat them as dry as you can get them. Otherwise they cook up too watery.

Spray a baking dish with olive oil. Place dry, thawed cod in dish and put the juice from one lemon over the fish. Then top with salt, pepper, and dill weed. Cook for about 20 minutes at 350-400 degrees until flaky.

Cook yourself some brown rice in the meantime.

I put 1/2 cup brown rice on a plate, place 3 -5 oz fish over top of the rice and drizzle with a mixture of melted butter like (ICBINB) and dill.

Very good dish.
    I also like to have roasted asparagus on the side. I just chop the ends off fresh asparagus. Place on a sheet tray and cover with a little salt, pepper and olive oil. Roast in the oven until tender-crisp.
  • kpatt2011
    Options
    THanks for all if the ideas you guys!!!!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, but my family is not and they eat fish a lot. Salmon and tilapia are favorites. Salmon we usually bake, but sometimes I'll do it in the grill pan. I have a Pampered Chef citrus basil rub that is absolutely delicious on fish. I bake it at 400 and check it frequently - it doesn't take long to cook.

Tilapia I will do in a grill pan or regular skillet with just a spritz of olive oil. I'll season with all sorts of things - Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, blackened redfish seasoning, lemon/pepper, the above mentioned citrus basil rub, or I'll season it well with the Pampered Chef southwest seasoning (I love that stuff) and then after the fish is cooked, will break it apart and we'll do fish tacos. My family loves that!

They also love a spicy fish chowder made with tilapia or any white fleshed fish. It's basically a potato soup spiced up and has chunks of the fish added in the last 3-5 minutes to cook through.
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is not exactly a recipe, but... sardines! The ones in the can. Easy and healthy, they are loaded with omega-3 :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Costco also has individually frozen tilapia and ono (wahoo). Ono is my absolute favorite fish and I'm not a fish lover (probably because of it, since it's so firm and mild). I like it simply baked or grilled in a foil pouch with some butter and lemon or a little garlic and onion.

I've also made fish tacos with both of these. 2 ounces of fish in a corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, diced tomatoes and a white sauce made of Greek yogurt thinned with lime juice. Heavenly!

Oh, when I was in Kauai last year, and first had ono, I had it one place as fish and chips. You can make your own healthier version using your favorite breading (panko crumbs, etc.) and bake it in the oven.