Frozen chicken breast and added water

Options
Quick question, if you were to log your frozen chicken breast that has lets say 8% water, do you adjust your log for the fact that 8% of the weight is water? Should the nutrition facts already include this in its numbers?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Is it sold frozen, or did you freeze it?
    The nutritional data on the package usually applies to the product as sold (unless explicitly mentioned otherwise).
  • tequierosince06
    tequierosince06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Is it sold frozen, or did you freeze it?

Sold frozen
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    I would just use the data mentioned on the package and log the full weight (unless the package specifies 'thawed' or a specific preparation method.
  • tequierosince06
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I would just use the data mentioned on the package and log the full weight (unless the package specifies 'thawed' or a specific preparation method.

Thanks! I thought so But was double checking.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Could use some cooking types on frozen chicken. I have a 10 lb bag that I must not be cooking right. It ends up dry and chewy! Give me all your secrets!!!
  • BahstenB10
    Options
    Sorry won’t let me edit my comment. Cooking tips ** autocorrect
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    andybing11 wrote: »
    Could use some cooking types on frozen chicken. I have a 10 lb bag that I must not be cooking right. It ends up dry and chewy! Give me all your secrets!!!

Chicken breasts? Yep, almost impossible to get right. Chicken thighs are better.
  • BahstenB10
    Options

Chicken breasts? Yep, almost impossible to get right. Chicken thighs are better.

Figures. Wish I could afford the thighs macro wise. Not willing to give up my other fats.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like chicken breast in the crock pot with a dry rub of spices. Gets nice and juicy, and shreds up real easy. Makes meal prep really easy.
  • tequierosince06
    edited August 2020
    Options

Figures. Wish I could afford the thighs macro wise. Not willing to give up my other fats.

I cant exactly give any advice for how to keep the chicken moist without being to dry. For me its hit or miss, sometimes its like oops outside is seared nice but inside is kinda dry. Other times it’s perfect.

I tend to use a few diff flavor profiles. Lemon chicken (lawrys season salt + lemon pepper) is my go to, then sometimes I do a pesto/italian seasoning (pesto, lawrys season salt + grill mates “montreal chicken” or if not use italian seasoning) And other times I make a rosemary herb type chicken (creole seasoning +garlic salt+ rosemary. This one is great for drumsticks too + paprika)
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If you're cooking frozen chicken breasts, defrost them first. Then use a meat hammer or rolling pin to flatten them out, so the entire breast cooks evenly. Regardless of the cooking method, a meat thermometer is a must. I take my chicken breasts out of the oven or out of the pan when the temperature hits 160 F. Then let it sit a few minutes before chowing down.
  • mwalker_
    mwalker_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I bought an Instant Pot, my best investment into healthier eating. I throw frozen chicken breast in the pot, let it do it's thing, and it's been much better than using A Foreman grill.