Walking or Cardio Workout

Options
So I have finally started working out/walking again. I have really been enjoying my daily walks after work with the hubby and baby. But a few times since it has been too hot to go for a walk I have done my cardio workout video in place of the walking. When I walk I usually do about 2 to 3 miles on a trail. So it got me thinking which is better for loosing weight? I have read that walking is great for loosing weight but I also feel doing the videos workout every part of my body. So what are you opinion? :)

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than you expend is great for losing weight. Exercise is for health and fitness and may help you acheive/maintain a caloric deficit (I love my 1,000 calorie breakfasts after a long run). Without knowing what your cardio workout is (duration / intensity) it's impossible to guess which burn more calories but my advice would be to mix them up. Walking is something that you could, if you wished, do 365 days a year. More intense workouts often require recovery time in between (even after running for more than a decade I only run on consecutive days on the weekend - easy shorter run Sat & long run Sunday) so go ahead and mix them up!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Eating in a deficit is best for losing weight.

But for heart and body reasons, you'd probably want a mixture of cardio and strength traing.

Or whatever exercise you enjoy so you'll do it. :)
  • cvdub16
    cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry, the video I use is from the Firm Series, but its such an old series I don't know if anyone would know it. Its basically three sections of cardio and 2 sections of cardio with weights for a total of 48min. And yes I have also been eating better and tracking my calories. I just noticed in the past I tend to loose more if I combine the eating with the exercise.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Your past effect of losing more was because you caused yourself to burn more daily but you did not eat more.

Eating better does not mean eating less than you burn. So good job on tracking calories - hopefully accurately by weight.

Many have gained weight eating "healthy" or "clean" or whatever that means to them.

I'll say this about walking while losing weight - most only walk so fast or can only increase so much.

At some point you will be moving less weight around - making it an easier workout then it even was.

So no longer progressing in the workout, not even maintaining frankly, if there is no way to increase intensity like carrying extra weight or going faster.
    And if it's a family stroll - that's good for other reasons and maybe a tad more calorie burn so you can eat more and perhaps adhere better to diet.

But those Firm workouts (I recall taking my mom's videos probably 30 years ago to use them during the winter) you can increase the intensity on, besides working the whole body.

If you only have time for 1 though ....
  • angelfoodcakee
    angelfoodcakee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Honestly which ever you are more willing to do often and for long periods of time is what I would say is best.
    If you're enjoying going on long walks then keep up with that! Walking is so often overlooked as a great way to loose weight.
    Doing cardio workout is also going to be good for you in ways walking isn't - such as targeting your upper body too.
    Personally I'd way mixing them both together would be the best option. eg. walk 3 days, cardio work out 2 days, one days rest. Or something like that :)