Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eye opening article in Jy 25 2020 New Scientist about undocumented micronutrients

HeidiCooksSupper
HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
I know we know little about nutrition compared to what there is to know, but a recent article in New Scientist talked about efforts to identify and quantify some of the thousands of undocumented chemicals in what we eat. They describe a database building effort that lists 70,000 nutritional compounds in some foods, more than 400 times what the USDA database analyzes. Example: USDA lists 67 compounds in raw garlic, FooDB has 2306.

Scientists are only beginning to assess what happens to some of these chemicals when we eat them and what effects result. The article suggests that this is why so many of our statements about the benefits of a particular food don't end up being reliable or explicable; there are things going on with chemicals we don't presently pay attention to.

Wow.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Sorry, Heidi...I digress...

It is interesting, your point.

At one time or another I've added all kinds of foods because the Google told me it had _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ nutrient that I could only get in a limited number of foods. Then I forget to eat that food, negating all my Googling and all my shopping lists and probably killing me. :(
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    I think if these micronutrients have already been in the food for a long time and quietly providing nutrition in the background, they should be allowed to stay.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    There are things that they are discovering everyday. I take a Vit K2 every day. Scientists figured out over 10 years ago that it was the missing piece in healthy bones/hearts for many years, but most Americans have no idea about it.

I read about ancient yeasts used in brewing a few years ago. One yeast used in old beers had incredible health properties to it. Even the changes in yeast over time have had negative affects on our health.

Much like the seed storage bank (that one where they keep the seeds so plants don't go extinct), they are finding, over time, our microbiomes are getting less and less diverse. Bugs inside of us are going extinct in many people in modern civilization. Who knows why. Maybe it's all the diverse, wild food our ancestors ate. Maybe it was the not so sterile methods of food storage and fermentation.

I know of one company for instance that is identifying all the species in the ocean. Only 10%, up till now, have been identified. And the human gut has like a 78% crossover similarity to the ocean life. All tied together. One big universe that is dependent on everything else. So marvelous and so fragile.