Meal prep help

Options
shabaity
shabaity Posts: 792 Member
I would like to start meal prepping basic stuff like chicken, broccoli, and a grain likely rice or quinoa and maybe a sauce to put some over to change up the flavor. The problem I'm running into is I work in a restaurant which 1) doesn't have much in the way of veggies and 2) we don't have a microwave for reheating. I have a grill top a burner and a few pots I can use to heat various parts. So my question is would I be better off cooking them and using steam to get it back to hot or just putting the individual ingredients in bags stored in my freezer uncooked and just flat out cook the meal when I get there?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Well, you would know best which way would work for your situation...

I mean, broccoli or other fresh vegetables cook quickly in a steamer or boiling water. Chicken, rice/quinoa/pasta (and conceivably a sauce) could be stored in portions and then reheated in an oven-safe casserole dish or something similar. I do a lot of one-pot meals. Much easier on the cleanup. Just takes a little practice. For instance I precook the rice or pasta and chicken, then use a small frying pan to saute the vegetables, then pour in the sauce, chicken and pasta and let it heat in the skillet.
  • sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The easier you make it on yourself, the more likely you are to follow through. Maybe put together meals that don't have to be heated? I often carry tupperware with a meal of rice, veggies and chicken with some kind of spices/sauce to work and don't even bother to heat it up.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of hassle and work. Can you eat off the menu at work? Or pack something that doesn’t require being reheated? A “lunchable” style meal of crackers, meat, cheese, raw veggies and nuts (or whatever floats your boat) can be way easier and very filling.