Low carb

Options
What are people’s thoughts on a low carb diet. I’ve just over 1 stone to lose and thinking about trying this to give me an extra boost.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have done the likes of really low carb like Atkins before, and it's not enjoyable or sustainable. However, a reduced carb diet works really well for me, as it is a means of keeping my calories down without making my life a misery. Essentially I won't eat white bread, pasta etc. I eat a bit of brown bread maybe once a week, wholemeal pasta maybe once every two weeks and a bit of rice or other grains maybe once every two weeks. However fruit and veg I will eat in unrestricted quantities.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I am keto-ish/low carb ...I love it ...my diary is open if you would like to take a look ....wishing you the very best
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of benefits to it in my own life, but it isn't for everyone. Depending on how low you want your carbs to be, it can be difficult socially because of eating out or other people cooking/sharing food. For me that's balanced by improved health (I have medical reasons for going low carb) and lowered cravings, which helps a lot with sticking to my calorie goal.

If you find fat and/or protein to be satiating, give it a whirl! Try it out for a few weeks and see if you like it, just be mindful of keeping your salt intake up, or your electrolytes in general, so you can avoid the dreaded low carb flu.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight on low carb diets. It isn't sustainable for me long term though, since I like fruit and bread and sweets and am not willing to give them up on more than a very temporary basis. That meant I regained the weight soon after ending my diets when I went back to 'normal' eating. It works better to find a way of eating that you can sustain for the rest of your life, with adjustments. It is possible to limit your carbs without stopping them entirely and then gradually add them back in as you get closer to your goal weight so that you learn how to eat in a way that doesn't lead to quick regain that you can continue for the rest of your life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am mostly keto (some days i creep to low carb) and love it. I lost my first 50 lbs a decade ago (and kept it off since) with high protein high carb with MFP but never had the ability to get off the vanity weight. When i dropped to keto, it has made getting the vanity weight off a bit easier. It tends to fill me up more (most days). I come off the diet when i vacation and for special occasions. For me, keto is a method to get leaner.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Keto has one big problem, the drop off rate is huge. Anyone who tries it for a day or a week don't feel bad that it didn't stick. Also I'd suggest that people have an end date, when they go back to carbs. That way you can do it properly knowing that the end is in sight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    Keto has one big problem, the drop off rate is huge. Anyone who tries it for a day or a week don't feel bad that it didn't stick. Also I'd suggest that people have an end date, when they go back to carbs. That way you can do it properly knowing that the end is in sight.

Hate it break it to you, the drop out rate for almost all diets is very high.