anniversary tattoos!?!?

Options
godroxmysox
godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
For our 2 year anniversary, the husband and I have decided that rather than going away, we want to get tattoos. He's known for a while what he wants, but I have no idea. It's next weekend and I don't want to rush into a decision (after all, it is permanent). Looking for suggestions! What do you have? Where is it? Do you regret it? If you have a photo, I'd love to see it =)

*edit: I do already have "strength" on my right wrist*

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Don't have one yet, want one too. But, can't decide what I want, until then I wait.
  • nessajk
    Options
    Love mine! It's a cover up, too, which speaks to how you should be careful. Find an artist you can connect with.
  • kdelost630
    Options
    I have one tattoo. I got it when I moved to CO for graduate school. It's on my left forearm and I NEVER regret it. I think it's a cute idea for you two to get something together---have you thought about getting the same thing? That would be cute. My tattoo is a heart shaped design with the word "Andiamo" written in script across the top; it means "Let's go somewhere" in Italian. Everyday I see it and it reminds me that we have to go and explore the world to understand its beauty and discover ourselves. :D

Good luck deciding!
  • debbinks
    Options
    I have 3 and love them all. I have the symbol of OM on my lower back, grace written in cursive on my inner forearm, and believe written in cursive on my foot - that one is my most very favorite. I brought in pics to each one to the artists so he could ink them on.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I have a few tattoos, and they're in my pictures. I love them so much. It took me months before I decided on them, so I would honestly not recommend getting a tattoo at all. If it's next weekend, you don't want to rush to a decision. You want to make sure that you've had enough time to full consider it and talk to the right tattoo artist for it. If it's on your body permanently, you deserve the best and something that you really want.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have 3, first one is a unicorn which was a tester and 14 years on I'd like to cover it up to make it bigger and more exciting to be honest, nothing to do with the tattoo itself more to do with my nerves over having one! lol
    I have a pentacle / celtic knot on my lower back which my nephew did so has sentimental meaning and across the base of my neck I have a floral band which I love. :) This is the one that is hardest to 'hide' when I don't want to show it so not a good place if you do ever want to look tattoo free. lol

What I would say is to trawl google images and see what you like, what you don't and get someone arty to adapt a tattoo especially for you. :)

My next tattoo will be on my hand / wrist and it'll be the same colour as a henna / mendi tatto I have had a couple of them but they're temporary and I love them! they're so elegant. So I'm having flowers for my children and it'll have a lot of meaning as my husband helped draw it. It was meant for my anniversary but I'll be getting it before my 40th so it'll have a mixed meaning.

Congratulations on your anniversary. Hope you find a good tattoo - has to be totally personal to you and love it for life.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have 6, if you are on FB, look for Lindsay Wikel, Cudahy, WI, i have pics their. Right hip is a smurf with Angel wngs, also Jimminy the cricket. left hip is a Martini glass with two olives on either side of it "FOF" right ankle outside is a sun/moon. right ankle inside, Celtic cross with a claddagh in the center. left ankle is a harlequin geat dane, rose under his front paws, Bubba under that. All my tattoos have meaning.
  • MamaLizMartinez
    Options
    Since you're asking about anniversary tats, I'll share our idea! My hubby and I, on our year wedding anniversary in November, are getting the infinity symbol (looks like a sideways 8), but instead of using a black line, we're using our little phrase we say to each other to shape it ! :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Since you're asking about anniversary tats, I'll share our idea! My hubby and I, on our year wedding anniversary in November, are getting the infinity symbol (looks like a sideways 8), but instead of using a black line, we're using our little phrase we say to each other to shape it ! :)

That is so cute!!!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have 11. Hubby and I are both going to get our starting weights (467/408) in red circles with lines through them at some point. :bigsmile:

Pick a genre. I like rockabilly, skulls, cherries, etc. Do you like animals? Tribal? Go to google, type in tattoo and IMAGES and sit back and be overwhelmed.

How about a sexy tramp stamp???

Congrats!
  • porffor
    Options
    I have 11. Hubby and I are both going to get our starting weights (467/408) in red circles with lines through them at some point. :bigsmile:

Pick a genre. I like rockabilly, skulls, cherries, etc. Do you like animals? Tribal? Go to google, type in tattoo and IMAGES and sit back and be overwhelmed.

How about a sexy tramp stamp???

Congrats!
    I love rockerbilly cothing, can't wait to look hot enough to carry it off!
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have one on my right hip, a butterfly memorial for my grandmother. I can't wait to get another, I'd love to get a pinup mermaid.

My sister has a heart with wings on her forearm that says Alis volat propriis (she flies with her own wings). Its simple and is homage to our friend who was beaten into a coma with a baseball bat by her adoptive parents (one of which was her maternal aunt) long, ugly story, but the tattoo has personal elements for my sister as well as blue detailing for anti-child abuse. When you find what you want, you'll know. The internet has 1903482034902830 ideas, and looking up symbolism of certain animals and such is fun, my college roommate has a phoenix. :) I can't wait to hear what you decide on, Ashley!
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    I already told him I wouldn't have a decision made by the weekend, but I still plan to accompany him while he gets his. I haven't found anything that really jumps out at me yet. I would really like to get some kind of memorial in honor of my dad (he passed a year ago), but I am still checking into this for religious reasons. Thanks for all your help!
  • muskiemama
    Options
    I have Kokopelli (he's a southwestern Native American fertility symbol) on my left breast and a hummingbird on my hip.
  • jonesz922
    jonesz922 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    #1 - Tribal Turtle on my hip matches the one on my best friend from high school's.... no longer best friends, but represents a meaningful time in my life...

#2 - American Indian symbol on my back with my cousin.... I will never forget our cross country trip together from it

#3 - Celtic Love Knot on my ankle with my ex husband. We were together for A LONG time.... neither one of us has covered it up.

Guess my point is, tattoos can be like photos of a time in your life, and even though things change, they remind you of the moment they took place. Make sure you pick something you will always cherish the memory of, even if things change :flowerforyou:
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    I'm going to have my artist draw it up, but this is what I'm thinking....

I would like to get a tattoo in memory of my father (he passed a year ago today). My idea is a rose with one wilting petal. There will be tears dripping off the flower and into a puddle, which will have a tear splashing and coming out as a dove (to represent me moving on and becoming at peace). Then, around the outside, it will say "The love of a father runs deep....I loved her first", which is lyrics from the song we danced to at my wedding. Thoughts?
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love that Idea!! It sounds beautiful!
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    Anyone have thoughts on placement? I originally planned to get it over my heart, but that was before I knew what I actually wanted and I fear it will be too big for that area...
  • porffor
    Options
    Aww that sounds truly lovely and very special to you which will lead you to love it forever.

placement I'd look at the size, get the artist to draw up a sketch and hold it / stick it in different areas on your body to see how you like it, depending on the detail / shading etc which will determine the size of it.

Don't forget tattoo artists are THE best artists to draw up your tattoo as they'll know how the colours / fonts / images will work on flesh and also if they can draw it to your satisfaction then they can tattoo it to your satisfaction!! :wink:
  • godroxmysox
    Options
    I got it and I love it (profile pic)....thanks for all the help!