Help with calorie counting diets.

Options
I just started trying to lose weight. I started last week at 234 and I am a 5ft 3 in female. I was in the Army but have been out for 10 years. I steadily gained weight until I got to where I am now.

I bought low calorie foods and have been keeping track. My problem is this. Even though I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, I cant seem to go above 800 calories. Is this ok? I dont eat bread or pasta because I have celiac disease. Im mainly eating chicken and tuna and a ton of veggies. Ive lost 8 pounds in 4 days. I think I have gone from one extreme to the other but I dont know how to fix it.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    When you entered your stats in MFP, what was the calorie goal that was given? You shouldn't be trying to lose more than 1% of your weight each week, so no more than 2 lbs a week. Most people don't find that much of a limit very sustainable over the long term. Feeling deprived leads to binges or just quitting the weight loss effort entirely. Find a way of eating that you can sustain over the long haul, not just for a few days.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any carbs? If not, try adding in a potato, gluten free rice, quinoa etc
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others are recommending. 1,200 calories a day should be the minimum. Less than that over an extended period of time can lead to serious health issues that you don't want or need. As others have mentioned, try to add some higher calorie foods to your diet. Salmon is a good meat source of healthy calories if you like it.