Shorts for thick thighs

Options
Hey! I have thick thighs and I work out. I want to wear shorts however all that I seem to buy ride up and make my thighs rub together and it is not pleasant and it is annoying. Any recommendations for some shorts that don't ride up? My workouts consist of boot camp and running (aka: walking/jogging)

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have chunky thighs and I’ve tried the longer cycling-style shorts, but I’ve gone for booty shorts (in private) or knee length leggings. 9for9 do good shorts 👍
  • lorimoster
    lorimoster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I buy capri or shorter leggings and cut them to the length that I prefer. I walk outdoors a lot, so I do like them above the knee.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I walk for exercise and wear Capri pants or bike shorts to avoid the shorts riding up. My chub rub won’t allow me to wear “normal” cotton shorts for an exercise speed walk or everything rides up and I stop to pull them out every 3.73648 steps.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don’t wear workout shorts much outside of my house for the same reason. I have found if I wear a pair that feels a little too snug on the legs and give them 10 minutes, they stretch to provide comfort but also can’t roll up because my leg taper won’t allow the narrow opening to come up further.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Constantly Varied Gear makes shorts that are pretty generous in the thigh and also have a lining around the leg opening to help keep them in place. I have pretty good luck with those. I get the 5” length.

I have a few other pairs from random places that are 5-9” lengths and without the lining that CVG uses, I find that the slightly longer lengths help keep them in place on my legs.

I am primarily a runner, but also lift and do some gym workouts which I guess would be best described as circuit training (but probably like your boot camp).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Wear spandex shorts under your shorts. Problem solved.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I wear knee length spandexy type shorts (Gaiam (sp?) brand from Kohls).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Agree with @MaltedTea

I prefer the leggings she describes.

The higher the better- they have the added benefit of roping in the wierd leftover extra belly skin. Urkel has nothing on me.

Besides which, I hate shaving my legs. It used to be because there was acres of ground to cover, now it’s because they’re so damn boney and angular it’s hard to do without butchery.

Sometimes, when I listen to my blood and guts true crime podcasts, I feel sorry for my husband. If they ever came in our bathroom and did luminol tests, he’d be hauled off in cuffs fer shure.
  • MiNinaLisa
    MiNinaLisa Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Agree with @MaltedTea

I prefer the leggings she describes.

The higher the better- they have the added benefit of roping in the wierd leftover extra belly skin. Urkel has nothing on me.

Besides which, I hate shaving my legs. It used to be because there was acres of ground to cover, now it’s because they’re so damn boney and angular it’s hard to do without butchery.

Sometimes, when I listen to my blood and guts true crime podcasts, I feel sorry for my husband. If they ever came in our bathroom and did luminol tests, he’d be hauled off in cuffs fer shure.

i died laughing reading about the butchery... because i just showered and shaved my legs which now look like the texas chainsaw massacre :D
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Arc'teryx Aptin shorts.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    @Skmellyg i have thick thighs too and I HATE wearing shorts bc of it. For fun days out where I’m not exercising but I want to stay cool I opt for 100% cotton denim shorts. Think Levi’s or something with NO STRETCH. I know it sounds counter intuitive to have less stretch but Levi’s style cut offs are rigid and when you buy a larger size than you normally wear the thigh holes are very roomy and give off a laid back boho festival vibe. For exercise I always run in capris so nothing rides up and it has the added benefit of making you look leaner! I buy my denim cutoffs at thrift stores and cut them to the length I like. Don’t need to spend a lot of money. I hope this info helps🤗