Exercise following abdominal surgery

Options
Hi I'm looking for advice from people who have had abdominal hernia repair with mesh.

My surgeon has told me that after my post op checks I'll be able to begin abdominal exercises again.
Have any of you been in similar situation? What were your experiences? What type of exercise are you able to do? Have you had any after affects? Good or bad? I have 4 mesh repairs but still have weight to lose.
Thank you

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have about a 10" vertical scar and also a 2" diagonal scar. Both have mesh as my and abdominal wall was separated to perform a co.plicated surgery.

The mesh felt "tight" at first and took some getting use to.

I began squats, deadlifts, and some ab wheel for training my abs.

Really nothing to be concerned about. Just train within your doctors guideline which hopefully your doctor understand the current evidence showing the benefits.

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I had major ab surgery but no mesh - only advice I would give is to go steady and listen to your body. I went too hard and fast and hurt myself. My surgeon was a bit clueless as to longer-term recovery tbh but I saw a sports physio after a while who set me on the right track and managed my expectations.
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I am only 2wks post op so still having to wear binder. Four hernias were repaired and a full abdominal wall reconstruction performed. (basically I had everything taken out & was repacked with 4 individual mesh repairs. Then the excess skin that had stretched after 12 years was removed. All this left me with one horizontal scar the width of my hips.
    I am still getting a tight feeling inside & every so often it feels like I'm being cut. I'm hoping this will pass but I haven't been given any kind of "timeline" for healing.
    I have heard so many horror stories of mesh I'm grateful to hear of success.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thank you both. I am only 2wks post op so still having to wear binder. Four hernias were repaired and a full abdominal wall reconstruction performed. (basically I had everything taken out & was repacked with 4 individual mesh repairs. Then the excess skin that had stretched after 12 years was removed. All this left me with one horizontal scar the width of my hips.
    I am still getting a tight feeling inside & every so often it feels like I'm being cut. I'm hoping this will pass but I haven't been given any kind of "timeline" for healing.
    I have heard so many horror stories of mesh I'm grateful to hear of success.

Yes I was completely emptied as well and inspected, resectioned, and prepared for planned treatments for the next year.

Surgeons/doctors really don't have much science to pull from and is more just a preference. There really isn't solid evidence and we are individuals and will heal differently and different speeds for many reasons.

Tightness could be partly scar tissues as well I assume as the S
    One scar is pretty "bumpy". My abs rarely feel tightness if at all.

I suggest to practice proper load management and wish you the best.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I had a double hernia surgery w/mesh many yrs ago.

As I recall, I didn't do any exercises for 3,-4 months to allow sufficient time for healing and then started lifting progressively heavier wt starting ftom a very low level.

Did not and have not had any problems in that area ever dince.
  • Chris144mph
    Options

Chieflrg wrote: »
    Tightness could be partly scar tissues
    One scar is pretty "bumpy". My abs rarely feel tightness if at all.

I suggest to practice proper load management and wish you the best.

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'm just impatient. I like to have targets to aim for. I understand avoiding lifting but I'll talk to Dr again about walking targets. So far I'm only at 10 minutes.
  • Chris144mph
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I had a double hernia surgery w/mesh many yrs ago.

As I recall, I didn't do any exercises for 3,-4 months to allow sufficient time for healing and then started lifting progressively heavier wt starting ftom a very low level.

Did not and have not had any problems in that area ever dince.

Thanks. That's good to hear.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I would just add that whilst my surgery was not for hernias (and no mesh), once I had recovered and stopped being stupid, my abs healed absolutely fine. I do have a residual weakness on my right side, which manifests as QL overuse, but I do Olympic weightlifting and throw weights overhead so it doesn’t affect me. I have a good strong core, so you will recover and get strong again. Just try and be patient (advice from the most impatient person ever.)
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Hello, fellow rebuild.

I had a double mesh laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair done. Immediately before it I was on a power lifting program.

My surgeon directed me that yes, I can get back under the bar as soon as I feel I'm physically able with the caveat, "if it hurts, STOP."

I was back to overhead pressing in a week and back on my full routine - including squatting - in two weeks. It was that fast and with the cutter's blessing.
  • Chris144mph
    Options
    "fellow rebuild"... I like that!
    I had hoped my surgery could be done keyhole but was too complex over a large area.
    Glad to hear that your recovery is going well though. So many stories of bad mesh outcomes it's always reassuring to hear about the good.