Spinning

Options
I’m wanting to start spinning to lose some weight and gain some fitness.
During the last year I swapped jobs to be a bus driver so my daily movement is so low and I’ve managed to rocket my weight up to 17 stone. I’m feeling out of breath just walking up stairs at home.
Now I’m wondering if it’s a good idea to go from this and straight into 3 spinning classes a week.
Would this be recommended? Apart from weight gain I feel in good health and have no heart or breathing conditions (apart from getting out of breath from been fatter than I was)

Also I was wanting to know what a good protein shake would be to have after the class to help my body mend.
Years ago maximuscle did a 𝑫𝒊𝒆𝒕 one but I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

Thanks for your help

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    You might be better starting off with one or two sessions a week, walking and stairs and build up.

You should also be disciplined in not trying to keep up with people in the classes that have been doing it longer and are fitter than you. For instance if the standing intervals are too hard there's no shame in staying seated and spinning moderately instead.
    One of the good things with all forms of cycling is that you can moderate your effort - if you aren't capable of turning the reistance up without suffering then don't. Remember fitness is built from the base upwards rather than trying to hit the peaks straight off, it doesn't have to feel like you are killing yourself to be beneficial.

Very unlikely you need a protein shake for recovery from a spinning class but if you find it helps you meet a sensible daily protein goal then I've found the naked range from The Protein Works to be good - sweetened with Stevia rather than sucralose (which I find unpleasant).
  • jameshubbard37
    jameshubbard37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    I agree that if I couldn’t keep up with the “pros” I would go at my own pace. But kind of hoping that the class environment would push me.
    I can see me lasting 5 mins at first before I feel like I want to die 😂😂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    I agree that if I couldn’t keep up with the “pros” I would go at my own pace. But kind of hoping that the class environment would push me.
    I can see me lasting 5 mins at first before I feel like I want to die 😂😂

Those two things are all interrelated. Probably the class environment will push you, but if you go at your own pace, you need not feel like you want to die after 5 minutes, y'know?

I started spinning while obese, and at a lower level of fitness than currently. At my classes, when we have true beginners (never took spin, and often not high-level fit from similar modalities), the instructor almost always encourages the new person to set the goal of keeping pedaling for the whole class - just that. Sure, if they feel great, they can increase the resistance, do the standing bits, whatever. But if it starts being Much, they should just sit and pedal and finish the whole class. When they do, a lot of the old-timers are telling them how well they did, patting them on the back, and saying "see you next class".

If I saw a class where beginners were told they need to do all the things day 1, and not encouraged in any other way, I'd not think well of that class. (Go early, BTW, introduce yourself, and ask the instructor how to set up the bike.)

Simplistically, cardiovascular fitness improvement starts with building a base. Pedaling through the whole class (along with any other parts that seem manageable/safe) is the way to start that, even from a purely theoretical standpoint. By contrast, giving up part way through, or toughing it out being miserable but never coming back, build nothing, theoretically or in practical terms.

You can do this. It's really not a scary as it might seem. Take a towel (if they don't supply them), take a full water bottle that will fit a bike bottle cage, dress like you're going to sweat, keep pedaling and have fun. You'll do great.

P.S. I'd start with the one class a week, see how it goes, maybe two. Can add more later, eh? And as far as protein shakes, if you're getting plenty of protein in your day as a whole, there's minimal need to get a big jolt of it right after class, unless you really enjoy it. Chocolate milk is actually a decent recovery drink, if you like it, and are getting generally adequate protein elsewhere. (It was one of the post-workout snacks encouraged by the coaches of a successful Div I NCAA rowing program I was associated with for a while.)

Best wishes!
  • PenfoldSmith
    PenfoldSmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im no expert but if you get out of breath going up stairs then I really think 3 spin classes a week is very ambitious.
    My advice would be this.
    Go to your gym 3 times a week. On each visit walk on the treadmill for 30 mins then get on thecstatic bike for 10 mins. Build on these times as fitness/ wieght improve. Perhaps after a couple of months slip a cheeky spin class in and see how you go.
    Good luck in whatever you do.
  • gareth_bland
    gareth_bland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im no expert either but id say go for it, you might get some muscle soreness but just push through it (unless your injured of course) and itl recover faster each time. Stick to three a week but regulate yourself in the classes until you can increase intensity each time. As for the shakes id stay off them, recovery will come in time and remember, soreness doesnt mean injury.
    Good luck :)
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love spin, I teach it. Go with the goal of pedaling the whole time. As others have said, go early to get set up, take a towel, water and if you wind up loving it, you may want to invest is some cycle shoes so you can clip in and get a better pedal stroke. There are different types of spin classes (HIIT, Heart Rate based) I would go with a group ride initially. You will love it.
  • jameshubbard37
    jameshubbard37 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I’m really looking forward to starting. I’m on annual leave next week so going to go to my first class on Monday.
    I will go with the goal of cycling the whole class.

I only ask about the protein shakes as been told that protein helps you recover.
    My diet is pretty poor at the moment but is something I’m looking at. The main problem with my diet is I’m a bus driver and do long shift, normally 11 hours a day, I live alone so I’ve got into the habit of quick rubbish meals or takeaways.
    I’m also thinking of joining a slimming world group just for added motivation and encouragement.