micros? Yay or nay

Options
jbboom23
jbboom23 Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Have you found it more beneficial to count micros?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jbboom23 wrote: »

Generally speaking people count calories, some count macros, but micros are really only something you monitor either because you need to or because you enjoy it for some reason.

Unless a doctor tells me I am low on something I just eat a variety of food and my micros take care of themselves.

For macros I maintain a decently high protein level and I make sure to get a minimum of fat.

Fiber is the other things I watch and I usually get from 45 to 90 most days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jbboom23 wrote: »

Not required for me at all, I have a varied and large diet so micros take care of themselves and I don't have any medical conditions that make specific micro-nutrients a priority or needing monitoring.
  • jbboom23
    jbboom23 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not a person to count micros either but I do see the benefits in it tho...maybe I'm too lazy.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I track fiber and calcium since MFP gives you five things you can look at, but I think trying to make your macros and micros perfect for every single day would be utterly exhausting. I do use the MFP report function to look mine over on occasion to make sure there are no glaring holes. Also, if I feel a bit off, I'll check them - my iron might be low. But for the most part, if you're eating a balanced diet, they'll average out.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like keeping up with my potassium only because it is hard for me to get enough. Also, potassium-rich foods include a lot of the foods I want to increase anyway--like greens, fruit, veggies, oily seafood, dairy, etc.

But I do *not* need to track micros to manage my weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    I do spot-checks occasionally to see if I'm on track with any I'm particularly concerned about (calcium, potassium, iron, B12, sometimes others). Every once in a while, my doctor will test for B12 (I'm vegetarian), D (I live in the North), iron (just because). I supplement some of those per doctor recommendations, too (B12, D, calcium).

Mostly, I rely on eating really lots of varied, colorful fruits and veggies. That's how I most enjoy eating anyway, and it tends to cover the micronutrient bases pretty well, as a bonus.