fat loss from specific areas ?

Options
I'm just wondering if the kind of exercise you do determines where on your body fat loss occurs. Anybody know ?

For example, do more situps/crunches cause fat in your mid-section to burn off faster ?

Does anything burn visceral fat (around your internal organs) faster than subcutaneous fat (just under your skin) ?

Mainly I'm just curious.

Replies

• jlowensby
    Options
    Nope can't lose weight from one specific area..but with hardwork and dedication you will see changes :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No and no. Sorry :( Primary determinant of those are gender and genetics. Me - lose weight in boobs first, stomach last. Sucks. Cardio is the way to go for total fat loss. Add strength training and toning exercises to make your body burn more calories in any given day and look better once you lose the fat.
  • Kristy144
    Options
    I've heard from people that situps don't specifically tone your stomach, but I don't know! Walking is the best toner you can do it works your entire body.. along with swimming!
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Sadly, you cannot spot reduce =[
  • leilani♥
    Options
    no can do....

You lose fat all over your body. Can't spot train...
  • rn299
    Options
    On the whole no, but there is some research to say you can slightly increase the proportion of the fat lost in certain areas you are training, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_reduction
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Wow ! Thanks for the responses ! Quick and unequivocal !

Like I said, I was mainly just curious. I plan to lose it all (all the excess, that is.)

Yeah, I'm a super big fan of brisk walking (just did 30 min at 5 MPH after lunch). I *would* love swimming, if it didn't have to be in a pool (during limited hours with other people in the same lane...)