What do you struggle with the most......

catmama256
catmama256 Posts: 38 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
1. Diet or
2. exercise?
For me I'd say diet is much more of a struggle than exercise.

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Absolutely diet. I really do think I'm addicted to food, so it's hard not to see sweets in the pantry and the fridge (which my family eats and loves) and not want to eat everything in site. Because once I start, I can't stop.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    My biggest struggle by far is waking up in the middle of the night and hitting the fridge. Bread is my weakness. As much as I tell myself I won't do it, it still happens almost nightly. I do great during the day, but then middle of the night comes and the urge is intense. It's a work in progress.
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Both. I go through phases. It’s hard for me to stick to an exercise “plan”. I can usually stay on track with my diet (maybe 5 “cheat” days per month now, but I’m close to my goal so I’ve been a lot hungrier lately which makes it harder). I’ve been going on short walks around my neighborhood everyday for about a week, which I’m super proud of. I have hip joint issues, so I really don’t want to run. I’m going to get into biking one day (when I want to spend 2k for bikes for the family, lol). I know I definitely need to incorporate strength training.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Gym for me
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Energy management. I keep trying to coordinate my diet/deficit breaks with life events which delays them and it is not working out that well for me. I am overdue for one now and I am trying to hold on for 2 more weeks.

• Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Definitely diet for me. At night I fight the snack demons! I leave calories for snacks but it’s a daily battle and has lasted for two plus years!! Sometimes the demons win the battle but I’m winning the war lol!
    I enjoy my gym time and my walks so they’re not so much of a battle. This wasn’t the case in the beginning when getting motivated for exercise was harder.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Time management lol. My gym is in the basement, yet I still struggle with having enough time to do both weights and cardio.
  • Dollypollylolly
    Dollypollylolly Posts: 16 Member
    It’s diet for me too as there is so much food out there
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    For me, it is definitely eating in the evening hours. I find I can do pretty well during the day, but the evenings I struggle.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Diet. I honestly dont know if I know what feeling full is like. I just eat to complete discomfort or pain, or I'm hungry.
  • siyeonsimpp
    siyeonsimpp Posts: 211 Member
    Honestly exercise is harder for me, since I find it relatively easy to not overeat too much, but exercise is a bit difficult since I only have access to an at-home workout routine, so it's not like I can do cardio or anything..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    I'm lazy and undisciplined, with strong self-indulgence and hedonistic tendencies. IF it's a struggle, odds are good I'll fail out of it.

On the plus side, I'm very analytic. While becoming active, I tried many things, and was lucky to fall into forms of exercise that I genuinely enjoy. Those became reasons to do other forms of exercise that aren't as fun, to get better at the fun things. On the eating side, I used that analytic bent to figure out how to eat in ways that were mostly calorie appropriate on average, but still enjoyable and pretty easy for me.

I work kind of hard at *not* struggling, truthfully, because that's a better way to game my individual personality and inclinations. That's not intended as braggy: We all have strengths and weaknesses to work within, to accomplish goals, y'know? I consider myself sort of bad at being a grown-up. I'm crap at doing things because they're good for me, so I need to find alternatives.

If anything is a struggle, it's keeping up a decent exercise schedule in my rowing off season. Rowing machines are just not as fun as boats, so I get tired of machines. This year, because of the pandemic, that has dragged on longer, so I had to trot out my poorly-performing "motivation" and "discipline". Ugh. And strength training is always a struggle, because I like the results but don't enjoy the process. I won't generalize "struggle" to workouts, or to being active in general, though. That's mostly pretty fun. Even the rowing machine is kinda fun . . . for a while. 🙄

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I don't know. I don't like exercising, but without it, I struggle to stay within my allotted calories. So food maybe?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Honestly exercise is harder for me, since I find it relatively easy to not overeat too much, but exercise is a bit difficult since I only have access to an at-home workout routine, so it's not like I can do cardio or anything..

You can absolutely do cardio at home. There are literally thousands of free videos on YouTube dedicated to at home cardio.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    I don't know. I don't like exercising, but without it, I struggle to stay within my allotted calories. So food maybe?

Exactly this. I like the extra ~200 calories I can get by taking a walk, but do I enjoy the walk for its own sake? Most days, no.
  • Kitessa87
    Kitessa87 Posts: 18 Member
    Defenitely a diet. I can exercise and surly will even overdo it but when comes to a diet I just struggle so much. I tired so many different diets which made me finally believe that diets doesn’t work at all. I wasted about 12 years of my life trying diet and loose weight which resulted in being obese today. Pretty sad it is I suppose. You need your own, personal approach and balanced meals which will hit your target and will be tasty and satisfying, otherwise it won’t work.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Being OCD about weighing, counting, planning, logging, exercising, visiting MFP, body image, and feeling like I’m constantly talking or thinking about all of it.

But, otoh, I did plan this as a campaign of attack. I just need to declare armistice. It’ll never be victory.

This is why I am currently not allowed to count calories by my therapist. Being actually diagnosed OCD plus anxiety and depression leads to some real problems when it comes to dieting. Nothing like standing in the grocery store wanting to cry because the item you really want has "too many" calories...
  • anacline
    anacline Posts: 13 Member
    That I won't be able to reach my goals and be healthy. That all of this effort is like last time and will result in being in the worst health I've been in in my life and doctors will dismiss my concerns about fainting randomly.

I've gone from 200 lbs to 130 lbs before. It's not the easiest thing, but it's not the hardest thing. Hardest thing when it comes to dieting and my health is getting the stupid arrogant doctors to do anything about my getting faint, blind, and passing out randomly once my weight gets below 150 lbs which just so happens to be the threshold of overweight and normal weight is. Otherwise I would set my goal to between overweight and when I start collapsing randomly - those are the same weight unfortunately.

Allegedly being 250 lbs is not great for my health so I'm going to get down to 170 lbs. But that will still put me at 20 lbs overweight and I'll still be told I'm unhealthy by those ugly arrogant lazy doctors. But I'm afraid that, like last time, I'll put myself in a situation where driving to work, taking a shower on my own, standing up on the buss, and just generally trying to live my life like a normal person will be a dangerous risk to my health. All so people I don't even trust with my health anymore will approve of my body weight and these same doctors won't even care about immediate health risks I don't even face at 250 lbs.

Biggest obstacle is feeling objectively healthier while obese than at normal weight and finding no doctor on earth to tell me why or even show the least bit of concern.

Doctors, doctors are what make losing weight and keeping it off hard for me.