Any deer hunters out there?

Options
I just wondered if there are any deer hunters out there. Venison is the perfect diet food for all of us carnivores. I just started bow hunting last season. I spent last Mon. evening in a tree with 15-20 mph winds. I got a workout just trying to hang on. I didn't see anything but it was great being out there.

Replies

• 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I hunted with my dad. I grew up in CA so venison always tasted gamey and like the trees and rocks and whatever else the deer had to eat. When I married my hubby, I married a hunter, but stopped hunting. I do not like getting up early in the morning. Our oldest daughter never showed any interest in it, but our youngest daughter loves to go hunting. I don't know what they love more, the actual hunting or the ritual of getting ready for the season. They are such buddies. I don't see them for 2 weeks.

Oh and even though the venison here is pretty much corn, soy, and clover fed, I still can't eat it. It's all because of the gamey stuff I had when I was a kid.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I take a rifle out for fresh air in November and once in a while am successful.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am not hunting deer this year, but I am hunting elk and antelope. Normally we go for buffalo (on a ranch) as well, but there was a drought at the farm and we can't do that one this year. I love the fact that the animals aren't pumped full of hormones and antibiotics! I also buy my beef from a farm and not the grocery store.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    hunt with an old fashioned film camera and a zoom lens....................Yesh!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am a deer hunter, I only take certain size bucks, but will take a doe and donate it to hunters for the hungry.
    Nothing better than sitting in that tree, as the suns coming up, the woods come to life around you,sense of serenity watching everything, great time to think about your life and all you have been blessed with, then the adrenaline rush as you see deer coming into you. I actually shoot more with my camera out of the stand than I do with my rifle or bow...
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i hunt but i dont eat it :)

bow hunting is SO much fun!!!
  • muskiemama
    Options
    I did that too up until I got my bow and decided to see if I could kill one. I haven't shot one yet, but maybe this year.
  • muskiemama
    Options
    hunt with an old fashioned film camera and a zoom lens....................Yesh!

I did that too up until I got my bow and decided to see if I could kill one. I haven't shot one yet, but maybe this year.
    ( I forgot my quote. I'm still kind of new to this. :) )
  • muskiemama
    Options
    [/quote]
    bow hunting is SO much fun!!!
    [/quote]

I agree. I didn't know what I was missing until my sister-in-law got me into shooting the bow. My husband has always been a hunter. He's thrilled that he now has a hunting partner.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I live in Montana, grew up here. I started hunting when I was 12. Back then, it was mostly about saving money. We would tally up the costs, including cost of permits/tags, fuel for the pickup and ammunition for the rifles. For most of my life, the only meat I've eaten is wild game. Both of my daughters learned to hunt with me.

Now, I don't think so much about the cost, but then again I only hunt locally. I only hunt for deer and elk. Most of my friends' principle recreation is hunting (and fishing); I'm more of a cyclist and skier.

I supplement this with a quarter beef I buy annually from a friend that raises them. They are grass fed a 3 miles from my house, and finished with barley (an acquired taste different from corn finished).

I have half a deer still in my freezer right now. I don't cook it in the summer, because I grill outside then. Rather, I cook it indoors, allowing the cooking heat to help heat the house.

I butcher it myself, trimming the meat from the fat, sinew, and bones. When I actually use it, I course grind it and make chili with beans out of it in a crock pot. The chili seasoning works well with the wild taste of the meat. Another way is to take the course grind and season it and make tacos with it.
  • BigMike915
    BigMike915 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hunt all kind of game, deer included. My favorite game to hunt is rabbits. I grew up in the woods of Georgia, hunting from the time I was 3 years old. I can remember being curled up in a sleeping bag on cold mornings sitting next to my dad. Killed my first deer at 8. For me there is hardly no better pass time then being outdoors on a cool fall/winter morning. I love sitting in a stand at sun up watching the woods come alive and, nothing gets my blood pumping more then dropping the tailgate and hearing a pack of hounds light up on a rabbit trail. Little over a month before the season opens!!
  • muskiemama
    Options
    We grind all of our deer up and use it in chili, tacos, soup, spaghetti...anything that I use ground beef for, I use the ground deer in. We also like to mix it with ground chuck to grill out burgers with. It's so low in fat that if you don't mix it, your burgers won't hold together. I also find that when you brown it for use in recipes, if you'll rinse it in cold water, it takes alot of the gamey taste out of it.