Going to lose 52 lbs in the next 12 months

Options
If you have any tips, please let me know!
I've been obsessively binge eating, and ended up going from 120lbs to 172 at 5' 7". My goal is to lose the weight to feel better about my body.

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    what are you binge eating? is there a way to eat the lower calorie versions - low fat vs full fat ice cream, light vs full fat cheese, sugar free pudding made with low or nonfat milk vs full fat pudding and so on - or to get single serving packages? btw, hunt's sugar free snack pack gel is my new favorite snack - 5 calories per cup, i eat 2 cups and voila!

why are you binge eating? for me, i binge when i'm tired and pushing past that to work or whatever i need to do, probably because i feel like i need energy. i've been trying to get more sleep, and i almost completely stopped binging.

i also binge when i'm very sad and depressed. i'm learning to treat myself better when i'm sad and depressed, and to do things that make me feel good without food or to eat a pre-portioned amount of food so my binge is controlled.

one other reason i have binged is working out very hard when eating at a deficit. sometimes that doesn't work for me, as i apparently burn more calories that i need to replace. when i don't just eat a serving of a protein food i like and a little carbs, that leads to binging - and i don't put on weight, so even though MFP gives me a calorie goal, it's not always enough on intense workout days.

good luck figuring this out for yourself!
  • BobaFettSlave1
    BobaFettSlave1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do it ec!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was struggling with binge eating earlier this year due to stress with the Covid stuff. I kept trying to reign it in, but I seriously felt out of control. I reached out to a friend and asked her to help hold me accountable each day-- especially after work. So we made a plan that I would Marco Polo her each night to tell her how I did. My only goal was to quit gaining and stop bingeing at that point.

It helped me a ton and now it's been a while since I've had a binge-- but I know in those moments, I felt so out of control. Maybe find someone that you respect (not like a bff that also binges lol) and check in with them until you can get it under control.

After that was stabilized, I felt like I could actually begin losing weight again and I'm almost back down to where I was before Covid. You got this!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    7ku5sp6bc21z.jpg

Also.. I found this helpful. Often, binges happen because we are trying so hard to restrict that we feel deprived and obsessed with food.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss progress is unlikely to be that scripted. For one thing when you get down to the last 15 or so pounds you may or may not be able to lose 1 pound per week. You may need to drop to a .5lb per week which is 30 weeks by itself.

For another you are not giving yourself room in your goal for mistakes, weak days, holidays, special occasions, and vacations. For the last 2.5 years I have lost weight about 46 weeks out of 52.

Also, if your binge eating is stress induced at all it may be unhelpful to have a date specific weight loss goal out there.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Your weight loss progress is unlikely to be that scripted. For one thing when you get down to the last 15 or so pounds you may or may not be able to lose 1 pound per week. You may need to drop to a .5lb per week which is 30 weeks by itself.

For another you are not giving yourself room in your goal for mistakes, weak days, holidays, special occasions, and vacations. For the last 2.5 years I have lost weight about 46 weeks out of 52.

Also, if your binge eating is stress induced at all it may be unhelpful to have a date specific weight loss goal out there.

Considering OP is only 20 pounds from a healthy weight, 1 pound a week is likely going to be overly ambitious sooner than the last 15 pounds. OP is aiming for the bottom of healthy weight range.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Considering OP is only 20 pounds from a healthy weight, 1 pound a week is likely going to be overly ambitious sooner than the last 15 pounds. OP is aiming for the bottom of healthy weight range.

I am really bad at catching when a person is aiming for the bottom rung of the ladder.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ec3561 wrote: »
    If you have any tips, please let me know!
    I've been obsessively binge eating, and ended up going from 120lbs to 172 at 5' 7". My goal is to lose the weight to feel better about my body.

My tip would be to not set such an aggressive goal. Over restricting can in fact cause more bingeing. Set your goal now to lose 1 lb per week, and when you get to around 150 lbs switch to half a lb per week.

And try not to tie how you feel about your body to the number on the scale. Think about all the amazing things your body does every day. Get more active. Focus on finding foods you love that fit in your calorie goal. Be patient :smile:

Check out the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each sub-forum, lots of great info there!
  • marygracemeneses
    marygracemeneses Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I have struggling to lose weight consistently also... lets get through it together!