CBD and weight-loss

Options
Anyone have any experience or information on CBD used not only for general health but also for weight loss? I can't seem to find anything negative about it.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How do you believe CBD would help you with weight loss?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I don't understand how it could generate weight loss. I guess you could make the somewhat convoluted argument that if your overeating is related to anxiety and taking CBD helps reduce or manage that anxiety, it might be easier to consistently be in a calorie deficit. By that same logic, you could argue that things like meditation or journaling could also create weight loss. But, in and of themselves, they aren't going to make you lose weight. You're still going to need a calorie deficit.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I call it Charlie Brown Dog. I've used some on my knees and maybe, maybe I can tell. I think you would be throwing your hard earned money down another rathole for weight loss purposes.
  • SerendipityFive
    SerendipityFive Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily believe it does, just wondered what the argument was for it. Or honest opinions against it, maybe from someone who has used it and noticed or not noticed a difference.

• SerendipityFive
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I call it Charlie Brown Dog. I've used some on my knees and maybe, maybe I can tell. I think you would be throwing your hard earned money down another rathole for weight loss purposes.

I used it topically on my elbow and felt no difference whatsoever. I mainly curious about taking drops orally.

Maybe it would be good for anxiety thus treating stress-eating like someone mentioned above which would be the main benefit for me.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options

I don't necessarily believe it does, just wondered what the argument was for it. Or honest opinions against it, maybe from someone who has used it and noticed or not noticed a difference.

I took an oral liquid form routinely for at least a couple of months, at doses recommended by the vendor. I was trying to see if it reduced arthritis/torn meniscus/general crappy knees symptoms. I took a supposedly-good brand that friends had found helpful; one of those friends was recommended this particular brand by her daughter, an alt-health practitioner. (I know, I know, folks: I'm just reporting what I know about the brand and how, since it's an unregulated category here.)

I was maintaining rather than losing weight at the time, but logging carefully because that's how I do maintenance. Personally, I saw absolutely no effect on my calorie needs, appetite, or anything like that.

I've never seen any research suggesting it was helpful for weight loss. Examine.com, a generally well-regarded evidence-based site that summarizes research on supplements, does not list weight loss as relevant to CBD, FWIW.

https://examine.com/supplements/cbd/

I didn't find it effective for pain management either, and I'm not especially anxious by nature so wasn't testing that. There does seem to be some research about pain and anxiety, per the Examine folks.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    My wife likes CBD oil and we have a pretty huge supply of it laying around. I've tried it probably 5 or 6 times. Don't really like it much. A normal dose gives me around 20-30 % of the high I remember getting from weed back in my college days - a double dose and I am definitely high. Thought I'd enjoy that but maybe it's one of those things you remember fondly from college that aren't as great later on in life. I don't perceive CBD as having impacted my appetite or weight. In fact aside from making me a little spacey, I don't perceive that CBD does anything at all.

I think CBD is perhaps the new Melatonin. Remember Melatonin - it would cure cancer, make you sleep like a baby, and lead to immortality. M does help a bit with sleep but the rest was ridiculous hype. Seems like every so often people feel a need to anoint a new Savior drug.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I use it regularly and in my situation it has been life altering. I have Lupus and other physical diagnosis. "I also had severe anxiety/ panic attacks. So with those conditions my exercise dropped off and stress was higher. When I started using it I" was able to exercise better and more. Anxiety and PTSD has been much better, which lessens stress and helps with mindlessness, urges and eating. Although my eating was good before it has improved my mood which enables me to make better choices.
    So it is not a "weight loss" too, it may help other factors that interfere with your ability to do things that enable your weight loss.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I take CBD to help with anxiety. I don’t notice a difference when I take it, but I notice a difference if I don’t. Meaning-I don’t feel like I took a Xanax or something and my anxiety is immediately reduced. But if I don’t take it, I notice my anxiety is considerably higher than it is “normally” (taking CBD). If I don’t take it; sometime in early afternoon i start questioning why I’m so freaking wound up today.

There’s no direct impact on weight. I gain/lose/maintain exactly according to CICO.

If I were prone to emotional/stress eating, I might find it easier to avoid doing that if my stress/anxiety/etc levels were lower. That would be the case with any method that helps to lower those levels (meaning therapy, medications, meditation, exercise, journaling, etc.).

I just want to mention that CBD alone cannot get you high. THC is the component that is responsible for that. CHD is legal in all states in the US because there is no THC in it. In states where recreational marijuana is also legal, you may have access to CBD products that also contain THC and thus could get you high. But it’s the THC doing that and not the CBD. I just wanted to mention that in case someone wanted to try it but was worried about getting high.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I take CBD to help with anxiety. I don’t notice a difference when I take it, but I notice a difference if I don’t. Meaning-I don’t feel like I took a Xanax or something and my anxiety is immediately reduced. But if I don’t take it, I notice my anxiety is considerably higher than it is “normally” (taking CBD). If I don’t take it; sometime in early afternoon i start questioning why I’m so freaking wound up today.

There’s no direct impact on weight. I gain/lose/maintain exactly according to CICO.

If I were prone to emotional/stress eating, I might find it easier to avoid doing that if my stress/anxiety/etc levels were lower. That would be the case with any method that helps to lower those levels (meaning therapy, medications, meditation, exercise, journaling, etc.).

I just want to mention that CBD alone cannot get you high. THC is the component that is responsible for that. CHD is legal in all states in the US because there is no THC in it. In states where recreational marijuana is also legal, you may have access to CBD products that also contain THC and thus could get you high. But it’s the THC doing that and not the CBD. I just wanted to mention that in case someone wanted to try it but was worried about getting high.

Yes, this is worth stressing for anyone who is interested. There is absolutely no "high" associated with CBD without THC, it's completely okay to take if you need to drive, work, or have other responsibilities.

I tried CBD for sleep for about a month and it did make me a little sleepy, so I think people should test this out on a non-work / drive day first.

It's been great for my brother for anxiety, but does nothing for me for anxiety, pain, weight loss, and was not effective enough for sleep, so I gave the rest of my very expensive bottle to my brother.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I take Cbd for stretches when trying to show my pain team that it's not going to magically help me

Tried various brands, strengths, built it up over time etc...... Nope

In that time I've lost, gained and maintained all based on weather in weighing my food and sticking to my goal
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, this is worth stressing for anyone who is interested. There is absolutely no "high" associated with CBD without THC, it's completely okay to take if you need to drive, work, or have other responsibilities.

I tried CBD for sleep for about a month and it did make me a little sleepy, so I think people should test this out on a non-work / drive day first.

It's been great for my brother for anxiety, but does nothing for me for anxiety, pain, weight loss, and was not effective enough for sleep, so I gave the rest of my very expensive bottle to my brother.

Good point. I know people take it before bed (I do sometimes myself) and it makes me feel pleasantly relaxed in a non-altered way, but not non-alert. But I shouldn't make the mistake of thinking it will have the same impact on everyone.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

I think it's important to point out that there are CBD oils with trace/no THC and there are CBD oils with much higher THC. The ones my wife bought have plenty of THC and you can get high off it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

I think it's important to point out that there are CBD oils with trace/no THC and there are CBD oils with much higher THC. The ones my wife bought have plenty of THC and you can get high off it.

I think I mentioned that the "no high" is for the CBD associated without THC, but yeah . . . I'd hate for someone to be caught unaware.
  • SerendipityFive
    Options
    So much input! Thank you all, I really appreciate it. 🙂