Help! Netflix = over eating

Options
It has come to my attention that when I sit down to watch some episodes on Netflix, my body thinks it is hungry. Even if I'm not.
I do watch less TV, but on a Friday night I would like to watch more than 30 mins.
Anyone else have a food trigger?
I feel like Pavlov's dog who has conditioned herself :(

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Seeing food is my trigger. :)

Can you do something else with your hands while watching your shows? Distract yourself?

Or log a big bowl of popcorn and eat that while watching tv?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Need to set up new habits! Could you maybe work on an adult coloring book while you watch, to keep your hands busy?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    allangirl wrote: »
    It has come to my attention that when I sit down to watch some episodes on Netflix, my body thinks it is hungry. Even if I'm not.
    I do watch less TV, but on a Friday night I would like to watch more than 30 mins.
    Anyone else have a food trigger?
    I feel like Pavlov's dog who has conditioned herself :(

Your body doesn't create physical hunger on cue. If you are eating in a way that keeps your hunger under control the rest of what you experience is mental appetite. It is very easy to confuse the two but the latter is what you experience due to habits and sensory stimulation (mostly visual). What this means is that eating is completely optional in those situations even though it can sometimes feel urgent.
  • wabisabigio
    wabisabigio Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I understand that. Being out of sight from food helps and having a hot drink nearby. And a good dinner before! What are you watching?
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Cinema - I’m used to devour popcorn during the ads and finish before the film even begins. What helped me was to swap - frozen grapes, broccoli and yoghurt dip - it was about the salty/sweet crunch and not the actual popcorn in the end. It’s a terrible habit, but a habit in the end. You can change habits.
  • Raegold
    Raegold Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I definitely know what you mean. I try to have sparkling flavored water or something like that instead, or save calories for that time
  • katesj8572
    katesj8572 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same here! Watching tv at the end of the day is my wind down time. I always track my t.v. snack at the beginning of the day so I know I'll have room for it. And i always choose something "munchy". Goldfish, nuts, baked chips, veggie straws, cut up fruit...