Full Body vs targeted for getting lean

Options
Hey Everyone,
I spent the last month changing things up a bit and moved to a total body lift schedule M, W, Sat, Sun alternating heavy with 1 min rest between sets on one day and then light 10-12 reps with 30 sec rest between sets. Tu, Thur, Frid are weighted crossrope intervals for 30 min (1min on and 20 sec rest) and shadow boxing and heavy bag intervals for 30 min of 2 minutes on 1 min rest. I also dedicate 5-7 minutes per day to core related intervals with 45 seconds on and 15 seconds off. I also have trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for the past 10 years but with COVID, haven’t been able to roll for about 4 months.

The result is 5 lbs muscle added in 4 weeks and body fat reduced to 16.8% based on my overpriced scale that tells me everything I need to know. 46” shoulders and 34” waist with the top 4 abs starting to maybe show themelves, but really not that much :)

Nutrition is a “seagan” diet (vegan + fish) and to be honest, could be a lot more macro nutrient focused but I am trying to not get neurotic about eating and try to enjoy good foods within reason.

My question to the community: Based on what I told you above, what suggestions do you have for me to help me get to my goal or 10% body fat while still maintaining my strength and power? Thoughts on full body vs targeted training? Being 45 and a fitness junkie, I have studied and tried pretty much everything and have learned that a community is better qualified to share something that I have maybe not heard of yet.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.
ARK

Replies

• AK121730
    AK121730 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nice helpful comment.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    AK121730 wrote: »
    Nice helpful comment.

You may not like the comment but it's accurate.
    Don't believe everything your scales tell you - they are badly affected by changes in hydration because they actually measure your electrical resistance. They don't and can't measure fat, muscle or other lean tissue - just make assumptions based on your resistance.

Some of them (just some, normally 4 sensor types) can give a reasonable trend over time if you are careful with keeping consitions consistent. But even then you will get odd readings from time to time and 5lbs of muscle in 4 weeks is bad data which should be discounted.

Most of those scales are +- 5%.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A male, if doing everything perfectly, can gain approximately 0.5 lbs of muscle per week. "Doing everything perfectly" means eating in a slight surplus (250-500 calories over maintenance), getting enough protein (approximately 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass), and working a proven progressive lifting program.

So my first question would be, what lifting program are you following? Second, are you getting enough protein?
  • AK121730
    Options
    Thanks for the great info on scales and reality of accuracy.

I’m currently doing the Kilo Strength Society total body phase 4.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Crazy metrics aside, whatever you're doing, it's working!
  • AK121730
    Options
    Crazy metrics aside, whatever you're doing, it's working!

Thank you!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    post a picture
  • AK121730
    Options
    A male, if doing everything perfectly, can gain approximately 0.5 lbs of muscle per week. "Doing everything perfectly" means eating in a slight surplus (250-500 calories over maintenance), getting enough protein (approximately 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass), and working a proven progressive lifting program.

So my first question would be, what lifting program are you following? Second, are you getting enough protein?

Quick question: 1gram per pound of lean body mass: If I am 214lbs with approx 80% muscle (171.2 lbs) would that mean I should be consuming 171 grams of protein per day?
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1 gram per LBM. I use calipers to calculate body fat. However. I am considering 1.2g per LBM.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Quick question: 1gram per pound of lean body mass: If I am 214lbs with approx 80% muscle (171.2 lbs) would that mean I should be consuming 171 grams of protein per day?

In theory, sure. In practice, 0.8g/lb is more than sufficient for elite athletes for the purposes of muscle building. Barring trauma recover which is its own special case, the 1g/lb LBM should be more than sufficient.
  • AK121730
    Options
    Thanks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Since you can't target weight/fat loss, full body training would be the only way to achieve your goal IMO.

Losing wt/fat while gaining strength & muscle mass are opposing goals and you really can't effectively do both (ie, recomp) at the same time. So, in my experience, cutting and bulking in cycles is the more successful approach.

I once achieved 8% BF (as measured hydrostatically wc along w/DEXA are the most accurate and reliable methods for BF measurement) that I could not sustain living and eating normally and my BF is now stabilized at about 12% wc is pretty low for most men (especially one who is now 70 yrs old).

It takes a lot of work to keep your BF at or below 10% AND usually only pro body builders bother trying to do it and even then only during competition after wc they allow their BF to rise to normal. Your genetics, training/eating strategy as well as your discipline and determination will be the deciding factors in whether you can achieve this goal and sustain it or not.

As for what kind of full body training you should do, I don't think it matters but what ever you do it should (as a whole) hit your entire body overall.

My personal training routine (which is only designed to maintain my current strength and musculature) is just to row 5km/day on my Concept2 rower, which is a full body exercise.

To supplement this, I also lift (mainly squats and deadlifts, do a variety of crossfit routines involving a 200# tire, farmer walks, a push/pull sled, a 50# sandbag, a trio of 8/10/12# sledge hammers and a baseball bat and a battle rope AND lastly going on 2-3 mile walks wearing a 25-50# weighted vest and 3-10 mile hikes w/& w/o a vest.

These are all full body exercises and to not target a specific muscle group. What you do is entirely up to you.

As for what I eat, when I bulked, I was on a high protein(1.5-2g protein/# BW which is a lot) and ate about 3k cals/day (I currently maintain my wt on only 1800 cals) combined w/HEAVY low rep lifting DAILY to build muscle & strength. It's important to note that most powerlifters are FAT!

When I cut, I dropped the cals to 10% below my maintenance level (wc constantly got readjusted down as I lost wt) and then did higher rep/lower wt lifting in an effort to maintain the strength and muscle mass gained while bulking with the understanding that losing wt/fat will ALWAYS result in some loss of strength and ALWAYS result in some loss of muscle mass.

During my past bulk/cut cycles, my wt varied between 160 and 200 and my BF varied between 8 and 25%.

My wt goal in maintenance is155 and varies between 150-160; currently 157. I'm 5'8" and my measurements are 41-33-37 with a lot of vascularily and muscle definition at 12% BF. So, what did b4 and continue to do now has worked for me in achieving my desired strength, fitness and appearance.

Can't say if the same approacch will work for you or not but I wish you the best of luck in your efforts.

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What method are you using to determine muscle mass? You say you are 80% muscle above, but if you get that info from your admittedly highly inaccurate scale, you might need to rethink/recalculate that.

Someone else said that you can gain .5 lbs of muscle per week IF you do everything perfectly. I will expand on that and say that if you are doing everything perfectly, you can gain .25-.5 lbs of muscle per week. So, 1-2lbs per month.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    The result is 5 lbs muscle added in 4 weeks

There is no chance you put on five pounds of muscle mass in four weeks without chemical assistance.

Even with. I'm using chemical assistance and I'm still not putting on over a solid pound of muscle a week. Surplus or deficit
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    The result is 5 lbs muscle added in 4 weeks

There is no chance you put on five pounds of muscle mass in four weeks without chemical assistance.

Even with. I'm using chemical assistance and I'm still not putting on over a solid pound of muscle a week. Surplus or deficit

Just my 2 cents, but your chemical assistance is likely unhealthy and an unwise choice.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Nice helpful comment.

It's actually a very helpful comment as it's based in reality. Otherwise please share your cycle protocol because I'd love to be putting on that kind of mass at that rate.

Dont get upset when people point out false information. This whole forum is the embodiment of snowflakism it seems like.

You cannot target fat loss. So if you're liking your full body. Keep doing it for as long as you keep seeing results. Otherwise choose a program more in line with your goals.

If you like all of your cardio accessories and they help you with your jujitsu. Then keep them. Otherwise they are not necessary for fat loss and definitely over complicate it