My most recent plan - suggestions for improvement appreciated

Hey Everyone,
Here is the most recent plan that I put together based on my experience over the years training with strength programs from Kilo Strength Society, Bobby Maximus and others plus cardio HIIT workouts from precision boxing JT Van V, Crossrope and my many BJJ coaches over the years.

I would love for the MFP community to provide any feedback on ways to tweak this to be as effective as possible. My goal is to lean up and get stronger. Currently 213 and approx 17% body fat. I don’t care about weight but more body fat and how I feel. Making progress but want to get past the current plateau.

One other thing, if your goal is to criticize because you just like being a jerk, don’t bother because I won’t engage and will simply block you.

To the other folks out there that want to share their knowledge, I would welcome any and all comments that could help me improve myself.

Thanks and I look forward to feedback.

Replies

• AK121730
    AK121730 Posts: 41 Member
    u51l6bbzdyjl.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited September 2020
    Looks like it's missing deadlifts, which is a fundamental exercise. That's sort of like a diet without vegetables. If you're short on time/energy, you can delete a few arm sets to make room for deadlifts.

The other big issue is the lack of zero-incline chest work - everything is at an angle for some reason. Chest work should usually be mostly flat bench.
    Btw, a 45 degree press is essentially a deltoid exercise, not chest. Optimal bench angle for the upper pecs is more like 10-20 degrees.

What's Shuffle-AX?
  • AK121730
    Thank you so much for the great advice. Some
    Background on a few of your comments:
    - 2 surgeries on L5S1 from 20 years of rugby and deadlifts causes nerve issues (even with a huge focus on building core to support my back) any suggestions are appreciated.
    - I neglected upper chest for so long that I’ve shifted focus to upper but good advice on including flat
    - shuffle ax is a shuffled online core workout that is around 10 minutes consisting of 60, 30, 45 second core exercises (ie russian twists, side planks, scissors, drunken mountain climbers) with 30 second rest breaks every 4 or 5 sets.

Thanks again for the great advice.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Instead of deadlifts, maybe you could work in another hip hinge pattern. Perhaps a KB Swing, if you're able to do those.
  • AK121730
    Great suggestion. What would you suggest for % weight of max and set count?
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    For swings, I've always used something similar to the simple & sinister progression where you're generally doing 10 sets of 10 (one handed, alternating hand between each set) and using step loading progression (replacing 2 of your lower weight sets with the heavier KB and sticking with that for 4 weeks, and then repeat). I think a starting KB weight of 16-32kg is what is generally recommended.

Since you'd presumably be incorporating it into your 3 day/week program, maybe a few more sets/day would be justified, like 12-14. Someone a bit more versed in KB might have better ideas, though.

• AK121730
    fuzzylop_ wrote: »
    For swings, I've always used something similar to the simple & sinister progression where you're generally doing 10 sets of 10 (one handed, alternating hand between each set) and using step loading progression (replacing 2 of your lower weight sets with the heavier KB and sticking with that for 4 weeks, and then repeat). I think a starting KB weight of 16-32kg is what is generally recommended.

Since you'd presumably be incorporating it into your 3 day/week program, maybe a few more sets/day would be justified, like 12-14. Someone a bit more versed in KB might have better ideas, though.

Thank you so much. Super helpful!
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    edited September 2020
    AK121730 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the great advice. Some
    Background on a few of your comments:
    - 2 surgeries on L5S1 from 20 years of rugby and deadlifts causes nerve issues (even with a huge focus on building core to support my back) any suggestions are appreciated.
    - I neglected upper chest for so long that I’ve shifted focus to upper but good advice on including flat
    - shuffle ax is a shuffled online core workout that is around 10 minutes consisting of 60, 30, 45 second core exercises (ie russian twists, side planks, scissors, drunken mountain climbers) with 30 second rest breaks every 4 or 5 sets.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Have you tried a different version of the deadlift aka romanian or a stiff leg and maybe decreasing the ROM a tad to get some work in for those hammys?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Asks for advice then says he'll block you for critiquing his workout plan.

It looks alright. I agree with @Cherimoose. You've got no deadlifts. Those are essential for strength. Especislly for rolling. If you can stay stable with hundreds of pounds pulling against you. Thatll make it harder for someone toss you around.

And same for the bench. You need flat pressing. That's where all of your power is. And the greatest distribution of pectoral muscle fiber.

I personally dont think you should be crushing core so frequently at first. It's just like any other muscle group. It needs time to recover and it's one of the few that never gets a break from day to day duties.

For your heavy days. I would increase your rest time to 2-3 minutes. Studies have shown that you have a much greater strength output capacity after a 2-3 minute rest compared to 1. So itll allow you to achieve greater stimulus and possibly progress faster.

Please dont get upset like in your other thread because a young guy pointed things out.