How much would you have to win in the lottery...

Options
Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
In order to quit working?

I say over $5,000,000

I really don't mind working! I'd love to have my own restaurant with the (pretend) money, however a lot of owners are too stressed and grouchy.

Replies

• 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    $10.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    hmmm. i don't think i'd quit working...

mostly because a lot of people that have won the lottery ended up going bankrupt. when you have that kind of money on hand it would be hard not to spend it.. and eventually it adds up. that's just my opinion though, lol. i'd be scared i'd be the person to just blow it all.
  • DandyGal88
    DandyGal88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't take much. 1 million. I'd open a dive coffee bar and spend my days chilling.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    $5 million then I'd be set for awhile :)

But I'd probably spend it all traveling and shopping!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    5 Million would probably do it. I'd buy a house in the caribbean and open a scuba/snorkel shop close to the cruise ship ports. That would seriously be the life.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    1million I'd put myself through college and do something useful with my life!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    hmmm. i don't think i'd quit working...

mostly because a lot of people that have won the lottery ended up going bankrupt. when you have that kind of money on hand it would be hard not to spend it.. and eventually it adds up. that's just my opinion though, lol. i'd be scared i'd be the person to just blow it all.

I think $5,000,000 is a safe amount. But anything under no way.
    I've got a house I want and kids to send to school!
  • ellekay22
    ellekay22 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hm. $5 million sounds good. I'd open a school for kids with Asperger's Syndrome. Any friend or relative that came looking for a hand out would be more than welcome to work at my school for some extra cash...
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Half a mill max, I'd swap my current place for somewhere with a bit more land, then put in lots of solar/wind power gear and grow a lot more of my own food. With the majority of my car running costs gone in addition I reckon I could live on a fraction of what I do now. Not that I've though about it much you understand. LOL
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    about $10mil. i have about 1/4 mil in educational loans to pay off. after that i'd live off 5 and use the rest to build some real wealth. that or i'd take the full 10 stash it in the caymans and buy a new identity so uncle sam cld keep his hands OUT of my pocket!
  • soloral
    Options
    20 million, because after taxes = 10million total.

Then, put 10 million in bank and live off the interest till the day I die.
  • Kaycurrier
    Options
    5 million is not a lot after taxes, I would say 25 million, I have a lot of kids and parents need help. I am also very young and have a long life ahead of me lol
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I would say maybe only one million because I would still want to work. I would quit my job if I hated it but I'd find a hobby job...such as selling photography or clothing online...or doing photography. Just something that would give some income but not a dead end boring job that I have to do.

ideally though five million would be awesome but I would do it at one million because I also wouldn't be spending it like crazy either. OR maybe five million at first just so that I can buy an awesome house (not too outrageous) and a new vehicle and be set. Of course saving money for my future kids to put away in a trust fund for school as well.

ETA: With the taxes talk, what I mean for me is that I'd have 1 million or 5 million to spend so whatever total would give me this much AFTER taxes is what I'd want.