help please..

Options
2»

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Why can't he be with the kids after his work, allowing you gym time?
  • ashleighkeefe33
    Options
    well i started to think i had an addition to food hehe, i live in a household similar, make extra veggies and load your place with them instead of unhealthy foods, start to give yourself a couple of treats a week i find it helps the temptation from taking over!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    ahh i know how hard it is to try dieting when no one else in the house is, it takes a whole lot of willpower which is sometimes hard to find :( i agree with the people who suggest healthier options (like ground turkey instead of beef in recipes), and also portion control :)
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My wife often eats different meals to me because I am a vegetarian and she is not. Obviously it is more hassle cooking two different meals but mainly I eat the same as her but without the meat. Then I add something like beans etc.
    Over the years, however, she has eaten more vegetarian food - just cos she likes to do the cooking and it obviously saves time. This has definitely helped her with her and she now sometimes suggests we go out and eat vegetarian - the other day she suggested we went to a vegan restaurant and I nearly fell over :smile:
    Maybe something like this sort of in reverse would work for you?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny husband and we both share cooking duties. I just eat less than him. That's it. We eat everything we always did, I just don't eat huge portions like I used to. Portion control is key to eating with everyone else without making separate meals or being "that person" when you are a guest in peoples homes or in restaurants where you don't control the food.

You said you eat a lot of pasta. Pasta is VERY calorie dense. Start measuring (or weighing if you have a food scale) portions and you will see how little pasta you get for the amount of calories. It's sad. If your husband wants a big plate of pasta or a large portion of lasagna, give yourself however much you can eat to stay within calories and round out your meal with a salad or a side of vegetables
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I hope you aren't FORCED.
    If you REALLY want to eat healthy just start only buying and cooking healthy meals.
    If he wants something junky and fat tell him he has to get it/ make it himself.
  • BrittMUSTloseweight
    Options
    If you REALLY want to eat healthy just start only buying and cooking healthy meals.

not really forced but as a wife i feel i should have him a meal that he likes when he comes home from work
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    thank you guys for all the support and advice.still trying to figure out the website, i think i kind of made him sound mean, hes def not mean, he just works 12 hours a day and he says he dont want to try a new food and not like it then be SOL out of a meal. he has got me to stop eating fast food, and got me a gym membership( i just cannot find a baby sitter and my gym dosnt have one) so hes supportive he just wants a meal for when he gets home.
    im not sure how to add people as friends on here but im sure ill figure it out soon.
    im wanting to cook something with chicken tonight. anyone know of a healthy meal dealing with chicken? grilled,baked etc

Well, chicken is healthy whether grilled or baked. I cook mine in olive oil for the good fats, but you don't have to if you don't want the extra cals. THe chicken should be boneless, skinless breast. Many times, to make foods healthier, the food processor will be your friend. You can process carrots, zucchini, and celery into almost any sauce. And if you look at original italian recipes, you'll find that a majority of them start with a base of carrots and celery anyways (if pureed or blended, you won't know its there). I also do a garlic parmesan veggie mix. Cook all your veggies (whichever ones you like) with olive oil, onion, and tons of garlic. Then, before you serve it, throw on some parmesan. Its really good and if he wants more parmesan, he can add it on his own.

Last, when making something like lasagna, just leave out a layer of the pasta. I'd say to add something like zucchini or eggplant, but only if both of you like that. The lasagna will shift around a bit more, but will taste exactly the same. Oh, and look up spaghetti squash. When low on cals, I've used it tons. You can make him regular pasta noodles and have spaghetti squash noodles for yourself. Hope that helps a little :)
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

not really forced but as a wife i feel i should have him a meal that he likes when he comes home from work

You do not have to stop cooking the meals he likes, there are great alternatives that taste just as good! There are plenty of good websites out there that will help you with substitutes or exchanges.
  • richellecc
    Options
    we like alot of pasta, if i made things with 2% cheese and made me wheat noodles and him regular noodles, would that help with dieting.
    or like a lasangna, if i watch my portion size and make mine with ground turkey and his with ground meat, and mine with wheat noodles and his with regular noodles how would that help out?
    i really suck at dieting because i never know whats okay to eat,
    today i had a root beer a ham sandwich(just ham and white bread) and a small bag of cheetos.

My husband loves his high fat foods also...I usually make him what he wants, and make a lower calorie dish for myself that is similar: When I make spaghetti (which he loves, and I do too!) I make a base vegetable sauce with everything I love in it, and cook up some meatballs or ground beef to add into his sauce. Then I make him his white pasta and myself whole wheat...everyone's happy that way and there's not too much extra work involved. Also, when I do sandwiches, (I had ham today too!) I do mine on wheat bread and his on white, he got cheddar cheese, and I sliced up a light babybel on mine. I hope that helps...there are lots of ways to make him what he wants and also get what you want! Add me if you want some more support...sounds like we have a bit in common husband wise! Haha