Lunch

Dinner

Snack

all healthy low-carb snacks, chips and lean meats etc

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken breasts, raw veggies, bananas, eggs, popcorn kernels, I always have these items on hand
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt. Berries. Almonds. (Bam a breakfast, add honey or vanilla for some sweetness)

Turkey bites, cheddar cheese, carrots, plain rice crackers, hummus. (Bam a lunch)

Chicken breast or thighs, broccoli, quinoa. (Bam a supper)

Snacks: popcorn for sure, apple with peanut butter, crispy minis your favourite flavour (since you said you wanted chips)
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables for cooking simple veggie soup and have a cup or half cup before dinner.
    Small size eggs boiled. Plain yoghurt with fresh fruit. Herbal teas. Green tea and/or Oolong tea.
    If you make mashed potatoes replace 1/2 for root vegetables and mash together, like carrots, celeriac root.

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    im type 2 diabetic

I'm a type-2 diabetic myself. I've been able to get off insulin and medication by following the Glycemic Index Chart. This gives you a list of foods that trigger a low blood sugar response. Mainly it's going to be lean meats, veggies, certain nuts, beans.

Another thing that really helped me was avoiding any type of sugar or carbohydrate until my dinner. Once i had any sugar or carbs I would only crave it more throughout the day. Once you start that blood sugar spike it only wants go back up once it goes down. If my sugar went low simply 1 bite of an apple would bring it back up. My diabetes was so advanced that simply licking a candy would trigger crazy blood sugar levels. Our body's were not really meant to process the amount of sugar we typically consume. Thankfully I was taken off medication and I lost 60 pounds in the process. To think that for years I thought I was enjoying food when in reality I was killing myself.
  • kirakira111
    kirakira111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd add some nuts and seeds!
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If you need to limit fruit or just don't want the whole piece- you can cut into slices (sections for citrus) and freeze them flat on a tray and then bag or freeze directly in a zip bag (put enough in so you can prod them into a single layer when the bag is closed). Then you can eat one or two or three slices at a time.

Banana slices will eventually get brown in a week or so in the freezer but still taste good. Usually they last 2 weeks tops for me. I'm still enjoying slices of on-sale nectarines and strawberries I bought a few weeks ago.

Blueberries and grapes can just be tossed into little bags. Blueberries are low glycemic but grapes are little sugar bombs, so if you have problems with sugar then you need to limit them (also bananas).
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi near you? They have some great diabetic friendly foods at low prices.

Things I recommend:

Eggs
    Lunch meats
    Cheeses
    Greek yogurt
    Wheat bread (better than white or honey wheat bread for diabetics)
    Low carb tortillas (great for sandwich wraps)
    Ground turkey
    Pork chops
    Ground beef
    Protein bars (be careful as these can have high carb counts)
    Peanut butter
    Fresh and/or frozen fruits and veggies

Also, while you do need to limit sugar and carbs, keep in mind that “sugar free” items are not always carb free so you will want to pay attention to labels.