Hobbies that help lose weight without feeling like exercise (low impact)?

Looking for a hobby - something to maybe get me outdoors or get me active.

But I do NOT want it to feel like exercise. I want to do something that is fun, interesting, and that I will continue doing. Needs to be year round.

Must be LOW IMPACT.
Even just jogging causes stress fractures in my feet when I try to do that a few times a week.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like hiking; it doesn't feel like exercise to me. Also, "swimming" outdoors (beach, lake, pool).

I really want to try geocaching or Pokemon Go. Both seem like a lot of fun!

I also like table tennis and bowling, which can be done year-round indoors.

What about Wii? Lots of fun options with that. (Do people still Wii??? 😮)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I enjoy road cycling and trail riding on my mountain bike...they are as much hobby and recreation for me as they are exercise. I also do some hiking here and there when I can, but I have to allot for a good chunk of time for that...mostly hike when I'm camping.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Outdoors, year-round is going to really depend on your climate and what you have access to, but here's a few ideas:

Gardening. You can make your space pretty with flowers or you can grow your own food. If you're stuck with a tiny balcony like mine, you can look into a community garden.

Disc golf. Usually there's some baskets in a public park, so after you buy your discs, it's a free activity.

Volunteer work. Build a house? Play sports with kids?

Kayaking, paddleboarding, etc.

Bird watching. If going hiking feels like exercise, looking for birds might make it more of a game.

Dancing. Join a ballroom dance club and learn a new skill!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I spent the day at a stately home. Love going to them
    I only book to visit the gardens (today's was 1880 acres) and I walk looking at the sculptures, the scenery, the plants etc

My legs are protesting now (joint issues and conditions) but while I'm out I don't notice

I also love to hike, I'm on the edge of the peak district so spoilt for stunning routes. I go with the kids, usually have the near 5 year old on my back

Exercise and family time combined ☺️
  • DDino22
    DDino22 Posts: 9 Member
    Archery, camping, hiking, Dancing....get yourself a Wii or a VR headset and do some virtual boxing, do some actual boxing with a heavy bag, go for a walk, volunteer, etc

Honestly you can look up any NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) to see how you can burn calories by not exercising. Essentially...avoid sitting.
  • I would say cycling but it's consumed my life and money and now I have awful tan lines
  • Rannoch3908
    Rannoch3908 Posts: 177 Member
    Cycling sounds interesting - maybe start with my current beach cruiser around town? Going right to a mountain bike and trails sounds intimidating. But maybe with time. I would need to buy something besides a beach cruiser I suppose.

Disc golf is great - I used to play - might be time to pick that up - lots of walking with that.

I can't really walk every day - everytime I try to start a daily walking routine I get a stress fracture in my foot. Just too heavy I guess.

Archery was literally something I was thinking about - not sure I would lose any weight but hey - maybe a little strength.

We do camp all the time - can't really hike because of the dogs being so old but we will again one day. We do little nature hikes around our city from time to time.

Buying paddleboards this winter to use next summer - already a plan.
    Kayaking sounds like more fun to me (sit back and paddle) but the wife wants paddle boards.

Gardening next spring/summer might be great couple activity for us.

We bowl from time to time - not sure if it gets me any healthier - mostly do it eating wings and drinking beer.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Rather than trying to find an activity you can do year round — and that depends on the climate where you live — you could do different activities different times of year. Cycling, swimming , gardening in warmer months as mentioned. Cross country skiing, snowshoeing etc in cold months. The variety might help keep you better motivated.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I vote for hiking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm in Massachusetts and have garden projects March - Nov.

Late Sep - Apr I do trail maintenance, which is a lot like gardening, so gardening year round!

I always bring hand clippers in a waist pack when I hike, and when I notice a big mess, next time I'll bring the loppers or a bow saw.

Other people get out there with a chain saw for really big messes. I never see them, but am very grateful to them!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Hiking, rock climbing, caving, scuba/skin diving, rowing, kayaking, swimming, skiing, snow-shoeing, biking, dancing (modern, folk, contra, ballet), trail maintenance, orienteering,
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    ...Bird watching. If going hiking feels like exercise, looking for birds might make it more of a game.

As a birder of some experience, birding doesn't result in much hiking. You tend to walk slowly and scan the trees or grasses carefully looking for tiny movements. In fact, since 1992, there's been an annual October birding event called "The Big Sit" wherein groups sit in a circle and count the number of species they see from that circle in a 24 hour period.

Perhaps join the Sierra Club for hiking at any speed whatsoever. Once, three groups (I was a member of two of them) met at the same time in a refuge parking lot, the local Sierra Club, the local Audubon Chapter (birders), and a naturalists group. An hour later, the Sierra Club folks had been to the end of the trail and were on their way back, the birders were lumped about 1/4 of a mile in with their spotting scopes set up discussing who exactly was in the pond, and the naturalists were still at the edge of the parking lot trying to identify all the bugs and lichen on the rocks they overturned.

Also, a word of caution from experience: Do not try to watch birds and flowers at the same time. For one you look up for little things that move for the other you look down for little things that don't. If you try to do both at the same time you see nothing and feel slightly nauseous.
  • whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Second on that disc golf. It will get you walking far without feeling it
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Personally I take a slightly different tactic. I like walking, and have access to treadmills at home & work. But I need mental stimulation - so I read Kindle books while on the treadmill. I like mysteries & crime drama, and the time flies by. I pay $9.99 for Amazon Unlimited, which gets me access to a lot of Kindle books for free. Some even have the audio for free. Which is nice because then I can switch to the audio in the car for driving to/from work.

SO... if there is something you already enjoy doing, look for ways to use those hobbies more actively.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    I like splitting firewood. It is a fun hobby! ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Cycling sounds interesting - maybe start with my current beach cruiser around town? Going right to a mountain bike and trails sounds intimidating. But maybe with time. I would need to buy something besides a beach cruiser I suppose.

Beach cruiser is just fine. We typically go to Pacific Beach San Diego once per year and we rent beach cruisers to get around and do everything from getting to the restaurant to grocery shopping to just exploring the area...great fun and great exercise.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020

Disc golf is great - I used to play - might be time to pick that up - lots of walking with that.

I can't really walk every day - everytime I try to start a daily walking routine I get a stress fracture in my foot. Just too heavy I guess.

Archery was literally something I was thinking about - not sure I would lose any weight but hey - maybe a little strength.

We do camp all the time - can't really hike because of the dogs being so old but we will again one day. We do little nature hikes around our city from time to time.

Buying paddleboards this winter to use next summer - already a plan.
    Kayaking sounds like more fun to me (sit back and paddle) but the wife wants paddle boards.

Gardening next spring/summer might be great couple activity for us.

We bowl from time to time - not sure if it gets me any healthier - mostly do it eating wings and drinking beer.

Speaking only in general here. Sitting on the couch at the speed of zero is a poorly implemented lifestyle. I had to give up all massive rationalization and excuses if wanted any of this to stick for the rest of my life. I'm looking waaaay down the road at long term weight stability. Permanent weight stability.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Weight lifting. Getting a pump. Taking my hoodie off to be in my bright pink stringer. Thats a fun time. I love working out.

Aside from that.

Archery. (Watch out dislike trolls. I can put an arrow through a deer heart up to 50 yards away;).)

Taking my dog hiking

Getting/splitting firewood

Gardening

Kayaking

Dancing on stage on amateur night at the local night club.

Wrenching on my truck.

Pissing off beta dislike trolls. Hard work but someone has to do it
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    OP. You do not lose weight from exercise. I see that being your response to everyone's suggestions.

You lose weight by eating less food. So if you go bowling. Dont get the wings and beer. Order a salad instead. And if people mock you. Tell them to go *kitten* themselves.

I get mocked daily by coworkers due to my life style and eating choices. You know what it is? Its insecurity spilling through because they dont hzve the will power to make the same kind of change
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    softball - or any sport really.