How do I lose weight instead of building muscle???

Options
Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read!! I am 5’1 and ~159 (down from 165, woo!), but I feel I’ve reached a standstill. I have been trying to eat around 1700-1900 calories a day (I admit I ate a lot this weekend on my birthday) but I feel like every time I try to lose weight, I don’t lose any weight and build muscle instead. I would consider myself to build muscle fairly easily, but I would like to lose weight. Any advice??? (Picture for ref of my body type)

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    It is very hard (maybe actually impossible) to build muscle while in a calorie deficit. It is more likely that losing weight is just revealing the muscle definition that you already have.

One needs excess calories to build muscle If one has excess fat stores those can be used up to a point to build muscle.

That being said, building muscle especially as a female is difficult, i.e, like maybe a pound a month with a lot of work on a good resistance program.

What type of program is the OP on?
  • lilharumaki
    lilharumaki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi all- thank you for your input!! I am a medical student and I walk around a lot in the hospital for work, but as for exercise I do martial arts or cross train 3-4x/week! I think maybe I’ll try taking your advice and cutting the calories to a little less to see if that works!! Thank you, everyone!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read!! I am 5’1 and ~159 (down from 165, woo!), but I feel I’ve reached a standstill. I have been trying to eat around 1700-1900 calories a day (I admit I ate a lot this weekend on my birthday) but I feel like every time I try to lose weight, I don’t lose any weight and build muscle instead. I would consider myself to build muscle fairly easily, but I would like to lose weight. Any advice??? (Picture for ref of my body type)

sounds like cutting 250 calories per day is worth a try.

i'm 5' 3", my activity level is set to sendentary, and to lose a half pound a week, MFP has me set to eat 1360 calories per day, not counting exercise. that's working for me, but i wouldn't lose weight eating 1700 calories - that's maintenance for me. i add my exercises in my exercise diary. today i did 37 vigorous minutes on the bike and even with that, i am given a calorie budget of 1,678 calories today.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    First off I love your workout gear.

If you want to not gain muscles, just eat at a deficit. As it's been said before, it's very unlikely that you're going to be gaining much, if anything, in deficit.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? I had a look at your diary and I'm assuming the answer is yes judging by your days end calories. I also noticed a lot of "generic" style entries and cups measuring. While right now you may be losing weight with those, tightening up your logging to the actual weight of things and checking MFP database entries for food from restaurants or coffee shops would be a good habit to get into now.

Another thing to consider is that as you lose weight, your muscles will become more visible. Depending on how long you've been doing that level of exercise, you could have a reasonable amount of muscles sitting under your fat just waiting to be shown off. Personally, I spent years thinking I had fat arms. Then I lost a load of weight and discovered my big arms weren't because of fat, it was because of some fat on top of my larger than I thought muscles.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hi all- thank you for your input!! I am a medical student and I walk around a lot in the hospital for work, but as for exercise I do martial arts or cross train 3-4x/week! I think maybe I’ll try taking your advice and cutting the calories to a little less to see if that works!! Thank you, everyone!

You'll gain STRENGTH with that regimen, which may deceive you into believing that you have also gained muscle.

Try taking measurements. My lying eyes used to claim my biceps were getting bigger, but the tape measure said otherwise.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Plug your weight into a weight trend app.

You've been at this what? two or three months? 6 lbs = 21,000 Cal of deficit.

Divide by Days to figure out what your actual deficit is.

Your feelings of speed of loss are not relevant for an objective decision.

based on things discussed before (assuming my recollection is correct) you should be seeking a slow rate of loss---which you're actually achieving.

Slow rate of loss is often invisible amidst water weight fluctuations.

Water weight fluctuations are common in your age group and common if you exercise.

Don't allow your brain and impatience to over ride objective data.

You're doing fine and unless you have been stalled at the same weight or gaining over a six week period you're losing fine right now....

Too slow is not always good, I admit. Too fast is also not always good.

since your current weight is not life threatening your risks of too fast outweigh :lol: the risks of too slow in your specific case!

Plus you shouldn't be eating or exercising differently than you intend to long term, so the degree of effort you should be applying *should* be minimal.

So.... where is your happy scale or trendweight/weightgrapher or Libra graph.... before we start talking stalls and feelingZ :wink:
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just curious in what you are observing that would lead you to that assumption? Weight goes up?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    How exactly are you determining that you're building this significant amount of muscle mass? I suggest getting sponsored by a fitness company as you have top tier genetics. Along with mostlikely a myostatin deficiency.

Are you watching the scale? Because if it goes down. You're simply getting leaner. If it goes up then you're gaining fat and muscle.

That amount of calories is a reasonable amount. I wouldnt recommend going much lower. If you stop losing itd be better to increase activity levels opposed to decreasing calories
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Unless you were a former athlete returning from a long layoff, building muscle in a calorie deficit isn't very likely. Many associate getting stronger and seeing more muscle definition as an indication of building muscle, but that's basically explained by "neuromuscular adaptation" and "less body fat". Muscle that hasn't been used in awhile will increase in size due to accumulation of glycogen and water in the cells, but unless you're doing a progressive weight lifting program along with a calorie deficit, it's NOT likely you're building muscle. If you're NOT losing weight, it's because you're more likely consuming more calories than you may need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png