Random Question (advice needed)

Options
This a borderline "stupid" question... Has anyone ever exercised shortly after taking a 5 Hour Energy drink (The small 2 oz. bottle). I'm not taking it specifically for the workout, but it will be in my system for the next 5 hours.

I just don't want to give myself a heart attack! :smile:

Replies

• newmrswood
    Options
    I've done it, it really depends on how your body reacts to the drink.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor's office or a pharmacist and get their professional opinion on if its safe or not.

You could also call the energy drink company directly and speak to their doctor on staff.

Its better to find out from a professional rather than risk your health or your life.
  • NOELLisLOVE
    Options
    It doesn't give me the jitters or anything, but it's just the fact that it increases blood flow & gives me an adrenaline rush. (which also occurs naturally during a workout)

I'll probably just wait until the 5 hours has passed unless I speak to a professional just to be safe.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've seen people drinking them as they walk into the gym. And people on machines at the gym popping carbonated cans of energy drinks to drink during their workouts. So I'd say that as long as you don't have any pre-existing health problems and no prior adverse reactions to the drink, I'm guessing you're fine. :)
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I ran a race once after drinking one. It was awful. I've never felt so terrible while running. I've never had another one.
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Depends on your caffine and caffine like substances sensitivity. I drink about 16 - 24 oz of coffee in the am and was using 5 hour enery before workout 2xs a week. Didn't really care for how it made me feel so I stopped. I didn't have a heart attack, but my heart did race a little.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    probably the worst is going to be how you feel...it's going to give you wicked heart burn (and gives me the poops)...you aren't going to feel well, wait at least an hour or two after you drink it.
  • NOELLisLOVE
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback everyone! (especially those who have experienced this)

I never knew people actually use energy drinks to enhance their workouts. That just sounds risky. I'm not trying to make my heart explode...