Staying full feeling

Options
I have such a hard time feeling full between meals. I allow myself small snacks, but feel hungry all day long. What are some ways that other have tried, successfully, to get rid of the between meal hunger?

Replies

• rachelbrondel
    rachelbrondel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Greg Doucette's anabolic kitchen on YouTube. It makes weight loss effortless
  • got2bemybestself
    got2bemybestself Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water and eat plenty of fiber rich foods and fiber supplement.
  • stanford68
    stanford68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, getting enough protein at each meal really helps. My time to binge is usually late afternoon. So if I'm feeling "bingey" sometimes I just drink a mini-can of Diet Dr. Pepper and this seems to work to hold me until dinner.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Consider changing up the balance in the food you eat.

I don't feel full on just carbs, for example. I do better if I have a meal or snack with carbs, fat and protein. Apple slices? No. Apple slices with a dab of peanut butter on each? Yes.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I drink water, but I also don't expect to "feel full" between meals. There's a state of things where I'm not hungry but neither do I feel full, and I just more or less ignore my stomach until either the alarm tells me it's time to snack or it's time to make a meal, and usually about the time I'm starting to actually cook a meal I start to begin to feel hungry.

Fat helps with satiety. You might want to add a little fat and see if your meals stick with you better.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of things that could be part of this...

In no particular order:

1) You may not “feel full” because you, like many of us, don’t really know what “feeling full” is. Many of us think that stuffed is full and full is still hungry.

2) you need more calories

3) you are actually thirsty

4) you are eating more “empty calories” and need to work on eating a more filling and balanced meal

I know I’m often “hungry” after eating lunch but if I drink some water and wait 30 minutes I’ve lost the urge to eat more.

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    For me it matters where I “spend” my calories - I’m fine with a fairly light breakfast, a big lunch and afternoon snacks, and then a light dinner. This is assuming I’m eating some fruit and veg and decent fibre. Tellingly, though, if I get engrossed in an activity or job, I will not feel as hungry as if I was sitting around thinking about my calories and plans for the rest of the day for food,
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest - I struggle with being full myself. I've had to set a very high protein intake to over come it plus a fiber supplement in my AM coffee. I look for foods that are high protein to calorie (shrimp, chicken breast, canned tuna in water, egg whites) and high volume (frozen green beans for example) for lower calorie. Then I aim for 100g protein in a day (or more) in my planning. After I hit that I fill in with some veggies and then leave around 300 calories for snacks if I need them but I may not eat them as I'm much fuller.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I recently changed up my eating to include more fats and proteins and it made a world of difference for me. I didn't realize how hungry I was feeling all the time. Now, I am eating the same amount of calories, but feel really satiated.

I reallllly didn't want to make the change (because I love carbs! lol)... but now that I have, I feel so much better and have less carb cravings.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Hot drinks stave off hunger for me.

A couple of ounces of roast deli chicken or turkey is filling and low cal.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Add more greens to your meals. You can do your own research but it's really helps me.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23632035/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19308799/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    For me, paying attention to 1, 3, and 5 are key.

I swapped out Sugar and Sodium for Fiber and Iron here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know your pain! I could snack mindlessly all day. That's what led to my weight gain. I ask myself "am I really hungry, or just bored?" when I want something, and then I drink some flavored water and if I am still hungry I will snack, but if not I do stuff to stave off boredom. I really want to snack when watching TV so for that I try to have several hot teas or a keto ice cream during the show. I also try and keep on top of all errands and even clean to burn calories rather than snack.