Getting fit & tackling clutter

Options
Ok, i have come to the conclusion that I cant do both. Do any of you have a house that is turned upside down? I am apparently NOT a multitasker. I can either work on myself or work on my house.

I also work full time and i have 2 kids. How do some of you do it all? I feel like im spinning my wheels EVERYDAY. So i completely submerge myself into one or the other. Obviously right now Im all about MFP.

I would love some tips that you do that help keep your home manageable.

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Visit flylady.net. Subscribe to her baby steps emails. They helped me a huge amount, just getting into routines and fighting back against the clutter in my house.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha I used to be that way and then boyfriend had to have an intervention with me. Now, the only amount of dishes that pile up is exactly what I can fit in the dishwasher - I don't like them to sit in the dishwasher so I leave them on the counter AND then load it and it's fine. If I put it in the dishwasher, people will think it's clean and use the dirty ones, so not a good idea. lol I try to do an allover clean (multiple rooms, such as pick up living room & bedroom clutter, clean the sinks & toilet, vacuum, sweep, etc.) every couple weeks but I like to do little pick ups whenever I have a day off. That day happens to be today! I feel so much more clear in my head when the house is clean but it sucks I don't get any help from anyone. I have the most time off so it falls to me.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would advise you deal with the clutter first while you watch what you eat. I, personally, cannot concentrate on anything at home or away when my house is a disaster.

Get your *kitten* in a pile - then you'll free up the energy to work out later. In the mean time - diet is 80% (or something like that) of weight loss any way.
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you. I'm willing to sacrifice a spotless house for a healthier me...but my husband? Not so much!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Set a specific amount of time to clean each day just like you do for exercise. If you watch TV, get up and clean during the commercials, there are approximately 22 minutes of commercials in an hour of TV.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    yeah don't tackle the whole house - just pick one corner at a time, one area. Unclutter that and move on. Get your family involved DO NOT clean around them- IF they are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem. Even children are less likely to trash a room that they themselves have helped clean.
    Get organizers - containers & closet organizers - A place for everything and everything in it's place. Then train your family to put things where they go
    Set up a certain time to work on it - NOT all your spare time. Make this appointment with everyone- the TV goes off and you will work on it for an hour or so. Don't try to do it all in one day or one session.
    Have incentives for your kids - if you don't have to pick up after them for a week, take them to a movie or something - stuff like that

Good luck!
  • crozierb
    crozierb Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Altough I don't have kids, I am busy and find it challenging to balance these as well. One thing that seems to work if I take the time is to work out in the morning and clean in the evening. If you pick 1-2 things to tackle at night then you might even get some down time!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    The tidyiness around here has suffered a bit. But I make sure that under the clutter it is still clean. The floors are vacuumed, the furniture dusted, bathrooms cleaned, floors mopped, etc. But on top there are piles of junk mail and mounds of toys. Maybe I should start tracking housecleaning as an activity...Maybe then I would get the clutter under control. LOL
  • GlamourBean
    GlamourBean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in exactly the same boat!! I want to declutter my house by the end of this year. I made a list, and have been taking baby steps. Whenever I feel the urge to eat something bad, I've been looking at my list to see what I could tackle to divert myself. Many of the items are exercise in themselves so it is giving me a high of accomplishment and feeling of control over my home, weight and life.

Best wishes :)
  • boomboom011
    Options
    ok so instead of reading forums im going to fold some laundry. here i go.