Xpost: People that have issues with accountability in the past how did you fix that?

Options

The reason why I ask is that My personality is such that I am externally motivated. ie I have a hard time doing things for myself. I tend to do things because someone else needs me to do them.

I Cook healthy dinners for my family. But don't actually eat all that healthy for myself.
I meet my deadlines for work.
I make all the social events for friends.
I volunteer for my community and step in when someone is needed.

I tried the "accountability buddy" thing on here and frankly it doesn't really pan out. All the at-a-boys don't really work for me.

I am really struggling with this. So I would love to hear from others that have also struggled with this.

Replies

• Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Accountability buddies don’t work for me either! That said .. This is about YOU - and if you wanna be there to serve others, you’re gonna need to serve yourself first. You can’t pour from an empty cup .. and that time will come if you don’t put your health first. I’d say just what worked best for me was sucking it up and doing the hard stuff.

Consistently.

I’ve lost and kept off over 115lbs and am now a highly competitive athlete.

You’re worth it. I promise.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If you struggle to do things for yourself, try and come up with external reason for doing so.

For example one that people often mention as their motivation for health and weight management is for their kids. They want to be healthy so that they're able to live a long life to spend with their children as they grow up. Or be able to join in the games that their children play.

I don't know what is appropriate for you, but if making your motivations be for somebody else keeps you accountable, then find some reason
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I need to connect myself to really concrete goals in order to be motivated.

"I want to be healthy" or "I want to be smaller" doesn't work for me.

"I need to keep my blood work in [x] range and being overweight is keeping me from that" works.

"I want to fit in these specific jeans" works.

When I was losing weight, I actually hung my "goal" pants in my closet and I would go look at them when I wanted to go over my calorie goal. It worked really well for me.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I need to connect myself to really concrete goals in order to be motivated.

"I want to be healthy" or "I want to be smaller" doesn't work for me.

"I need to keep my blood work in [x] range and being overweight is keeping me from that" works.

"I want to fit in these specific jeans" works.

When I was losing weight, I actually hung my "goal" pants in my closet and I would go look at them when I wanted to go over my calorie goal. It worked really well for me.

I have a dress in my closet that I only fit into very briefly when I lost a bunch of weight in a very unhealthy manner (working nights, 15 hr shifts, 70+ hrs a week and barely eating at all). Needless to say, when I left that horrible job I regained all I had lost and more.

Now, when I want more cookies or pretzels for my bedtime snack than I have calories for, I look at that dress and remind myself that this time, I am going to lose the weight in a manner in which I will keep it off.