Glute exercises that don’t stress thighs?

Options
So I recently started doing strength training again. I ride my bike to the gym which isn’t very far from my house(1 mile) but I haven’t gotten proper exercise in a while. I find that the combination of doing squats AND riding my bike to and from the gym is very hard on the front of my thighs and I’m in a lot of pain. My hamstrings aren’t in pain, and neither are any of my other muscles so I know it’s not just being rusty. I of course will cut out squats, but I still want to be able to work my glutes. I feel like every other glute exercise I’ve seen online will have the same problem, so if anyone has suggestions I would be grateful!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Squats are an important exercise, so don't cut them out - reduce the number of sets and/or the weight for a while until you adapt, and also ride slower to the gym. To answer your question - Romanian deadlifts. Watch a few tutorials on youtube first.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Lying hip raises
    Donkey kick
    Banded monster walks
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Hip thrust
    Glute/ham raise
    Stiff leg deadlift
    Good mornings
    Leg curls
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Don’t cut out the squats. They are one of the most important exercises you can do. As mentioned above, reduce the weight, reps, or sets until your body adjusts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Resistance training involves stress.

The amount and if it is useful or not is controlled ultimately by your load management.

Squats and cycling are heavy quad dominant training.

Glutes will receive stimulus through a full ROM and appropriate intensity/volume through a full body program.

I wouldn't cut out a squat because you want to focus on glutes. I would continue with programming that stimulates glutes as well.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I agree with above mentioned.

My favourite glute accessory is barbell glute bridges. *kitten* me does that give you a booty burn when you push the weights.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    bridges (any number of variants), various leg lifts (resistance bands can be used if you want), clams, donkey kicks, lateral band steps ......
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS. Will wear off. Gentle exercises of those muscles seems to help the pain
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You have the answer right there: cycling works the glutes, particularly when you ride off the seat. It also works your thighs, as you have noticed!

I have never tried to ride a bike after a big leg set, but I think that a little easy riding could actually be a good follow-on, once you're used to it.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    I usually end up with limited time and have to ride and then lift you really get used to it but when I start a new block I'm usually dying the first week but you adapt unless your bike fit is atrocious. You ride to and from could be insane though