Waist trainers? Belt?

Options
I’ve been seeing a lot of people wearing waist trainers in the gym while they’re working out. Especially when they are lifting / doing ab workouts. Does it help with anything? Especially does it help with losing your “rolls” and make it rounder or flatter ? I have no idea what I’m talking about lmao. So I’m v curious on what’s the purpose and is there any specific benefit to it

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. They're a gimmick. Are you maybe seeing people wearing weight lifting belts? I think these are for supporting the back.

There's no way to cheat getting fit. Spend the money you might want to spend on a waist trainer on a personal trainer and work hard.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Waist trainers are bull *kitten*..

However actual lifting belts serve a purpose.

Anyone who buys into the waist trainers are as dumb as the people selling them scummy
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Anyone who buys into the waist trainers are as dumb as the people selling them scummy

Yess I think it’s a lifting belt , they wear it on top of their clothes
  • UmaMageswarymfp
    UmaMageswarymfp Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Don't waste your money. They're a gimmick. Are you maybe seeing people wearing weight lifting belts? I think these are for supporting the back.

There's no way to cheat getting fit. Spend the money you might want to spend on a waist trainer on a personal trainer and work hard.

Noo not planning on buying , just curious about the benefits and stuff
  • jessef593
    Options

If it's a lifting belt and used properly it's for core stability during large compound lifts. If you see guys wearing them whole doing curls or arms its because they're trying to make their waists look slimmer in order to peacock.

A proper lifting belt will be one solid piece with no tapering. Bodybuilding show off belts will taper down to a thin strip where the buckle and holes are.

I use my belt for squats, deads and overhead press.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options

If it's a lifting belt and used properly it's for core stability during large compound lifts. If you see guys wearing them whole doing curls or arms its because they're trying to make their waists look slimmer in order to peacock.

A proper lifting belt will be one solid piece with no tapering. Bodybuilding show off belts will taper down to a thin strip where the buckle and holes are.

Or... if they taper at the front they could be an Olympic Weightlifting belt. I use an oly belt for heavy clean and jerks and front squats, and I use a powerlifting benching belt (it’s much narrower than a traditional powerlifting belt) for heavy deadlifts. (I’m small and PL belts are too wide for me.)

OP - a belt can be used when lifting heavy to give your belly something to brace against but you should be able to brace well before using one. Sadly they don’t help with ab fat or smoothing our lumps and bumps, and if worn correctly (ie tight enough) they are actually pretty uncomfortable!
  • jessef593
    Options

Or... if they taper at the front they could be an Olympic Weightlifting belt. I use an oly belt for heavy clean and jerks and front squats, and I use a powerlifting benching belt (it’s much narrower than a traditional powerlifting belt) for heavy deadlifts. (I’m small and PL belts are too wide for me.)

OP - a belt can be used when lifting heavy to give your belly something to brace against but you should be able to brace well before using one. Sadly they don’t help with ab fat or smoothing our lumps and bumps, and if worn correctly (ie tight enough) they are actually pretty uncomfortable!

Yeah I'm sorry but the guy wearing a 1" tapered belt to do curls isnt wearing it for Olympic lifting. I was saying they wear it for non practical reasons.

So please dont. Oly belts can also be made of a more flexible material opposed to leather. But you knew I wasnt talking about Olympic lifters. And many olympic lifters still do wear stiffer belts, however I have no idea how. As even after a heavy deadlift session I get bruising.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My husband also used to wear one for dips with a 45lb plate attached. Once he could do his own weight too easily, he needed to improvise.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have an old leather lifting belt that I use when I'm moving heavy stuff. It seems to help with keeping the back from getting sore.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I absolutely wear a belt when doing squats, deadlifts, or heavy overhead press. It gives you something to brace against.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    All of the gadgets and gear I see at my gym drives me nuts. From altitude training masks (Though helpful with the pandemic now) to Waist Trainers, to people wearing belts, straps, sleeves, to whatever else you can think of. I see the point to some of it, including belts, straps, knee sleeves/wraps when lifting heavy and for aid and in support. I use straps for deadlifts but not until I'm at a weight where my grip fails. Honestly, I think what drives me nuts is how people "gear-up" to start and never build the essential strength up for bracing, grip, etc. to reach that point where they need it.

Don't get me wrong Belts, sleeves/wraps, and straps are all good things and can be essential when used properly. I just can't imagine the money some people spend on the other things like the waist trainers, "fat burners," etc. I guess that's why I should just continue to put the headphones on, crank up the music, and push myself and not worry about anyone else around me.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,514 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh. I wore a waist band to the gym this morning, but it’s essentially a stretchy kangaroo pocket to hold my phone and keys. I generally go to the gym after yoga or running, and my yoga leggings have no pockets!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Waist trainers are a waste of time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png