Starvation mode?

Options
Hi,
I'm new here, I started to keep track of my eating and weight on this app after losing my appetite. I watched the weight drop off whilst having to force myself to eat at least something every day. My appetite has still not returned and I have stopped losing weight. Some days I can reach around 500 calories but many I don't. The only benefit to losing my appetite was losing some weight but now I'm worried my metabolism has stopped along with the appetite (and my bowels).
How do I get out of this or at least make the most of my lack of appetite and lose some more weight?

Replies

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You need to eat to lose weight.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I have been in the hospital so many times they should offer me stay rewards. Usually I am on the no food plan when I stay. Seriously, I do not lose weight and usually gain from the lack of activity and fluid that has been pumped into me. Once I gained 23 pounds from the stay and couldn't wear my shoes out the door when they released me.
    You are not having bowel movements because you are not eating enough to generate much waste. Your bowels have slowed to keep food in your system long enough to extract the maximum amount of nutrients. When you recover from your health issues your appetite will return.
  • kaloui1981
    kaloui1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have done better with my food intake yesterday and the day b4 that, reaching 888 and 1036 calories. Today I managed half my dinner before I felt really sick and couldn't eat another mouthful (was gutted as was something I really like). I think maybe it will improve again when I've been to the loo. 🙈 Having to take antibiotics with food 4 times a day is pushing me, very uncomfortably at times but pushing me to eat more.
    I weighed myself yesterday and have put weight back on! So no upside to lack of appetite now at all.
    Will see how things go, am due to contact my GP on Tuesday around it, will c what he says.
  • kaloui1981
    Options
    Thank you again for the replies.
    I spoke to my GP today and he isn't concerned about my lack of appetite, he has prescribed something for constipation as I havent been in 10 days, he said that that alone wont help. I'm going to stop worrying that I'm not eating enough and just do what my body tells me to do.
    Had bloods done again yesterday after collapsing and they are all normal so my body must be coping somehow, just need to wait for the tests on my heart.
  • kaloui1981
    Options
    It's not like I'm doing it on purpose I just dont have an appetite, my stomach doesnt even rumble! I am doing what my body is telling me to do from now on, I'm sure if it wants food it will send me a message. I will try and eat something at normal meal times every day even if it's just a nectarine like today but I don't feel the need to push myself ot stress about it any more, my GP has said today it's fine not to each much in the short term.
This discussion has been closed.