Walking To Weight Loss

Options
Hi, I'm Ian. I am 51, a husband and the Dad to 3 grown up kids, 3 Dogs and a Cat!

I was a serving Officer in the Royal Air Force until I suffered a mental health breakdown in 2005. Since then I have battled, daily, with PTSD, Anxiety and depression. Over the years of dealing with my 'new normal' I became reclusive and sedentary - turning to alcohol and fast food as coping mechanisms. This year I STOPPED. I saw a photograph of me beside my son and went OMG! I had crept slowly upwards to over 20 stones (288 lbs)! On the 9 July I started turning this around!

7jc33do378ss.jpeg

Why I want to get in shape

Why? Well, first because I want to still be here in another 51 years and my reliance on alcohol and junk food has had a negative impact on that desire. Second, I hated seeing myself in the picture especially when I use to weight 13 stone and was combat fit. Third, I was sick of my depression and associated issues controlling me. Fourth, I want to be fit and well enough to be an active grandad if that should come along and lastly, because I want to play golf, and go hiking again as I did in my RAF Days.

My Inspirations
  • Self respect and image
  • Ability to be more active
  • I want to fit my Old Dress Uniform again
  • Add another 51 years to my life

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Start a journal because I found writing your feelings, your hopes and general thoughts on just about everything is an invaluable tool. We can read over what we write and change things UP. Plus it will keep your hands and mind busy during some inevitable rough patches. On a one day at a time basis we can make lasting changes, Ian. Best wishes as you go forward into the rest of your life.
  • Raskelf2020
    Raskelf2020 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiring advice!!!