What's your strategy when the app is down?

When the app isn't working, and its dinner time, what's your strategy? (Say it's a new meal, so its not already in the database). Do you have a meal off and just try to exercise portion control? What do you do?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Pencil and paper. I'm kickin' it old school. I moderate my foods by using measuring cups and a scale.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    The power was out here due to the fallen trees from the derecho winds. I weighed and measured and recorded in a notebook. When the power was I restored I entered the meals into MFP. I did not use the time as an excuse to overeat. Eat mindfully.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I always note foods/quantities on a junk mail envelope while cooking, and log it all after dinner. If the app was unavailable after dinner, NBD. Either way, the food's already eaten. ๐Ÿ˜† For me, the note now, log later approach is less time-consuming, and doesn't risk getting ingredients on my device.

By this stage, I usually have a pretty good intuition (without even explicitly doing mental estimation/addition) when I'm getting close to goal calories, while cooking. Very occasionally, if I'm worried I might go waaaaaaay over (very rare), I might log the big-ticket items before deciding whether to add another side dish to dinner or whatever.

Most of the time, I end up with calories left over after dinner (don't worry, I spend them ๐Ÿ˜‰). If, instead, I end up over goal (even in maintenance) by 50, 100, 200 calories, I don't stress about it, since (1) it's fairly rare, and (2) I calorie bank a small number of calories daily for future indulgences anyway, so meh. It all works out.

If someone is in a deficit, being a bit over is even less of a worry. If losing a pound a week, the person's been eating 500 under maintenance daily, on average. If there's a 200 calorie overage vs. goal, it delays reaching goal weight by a mere few hours. Not worth getting all upset about, IMO.

Pretty much, anything that only happens rarely is going to have very minimal effect on overall progress. The majority of our days determine the majority of our outcomes. The exception days just create a little noise in the signal. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    edited September 2020
    The power was out here due to the fallen trees from the derecho winds. I weighed and measured and recorded in a notebook. When the power was I restored I entered the meals into MFP. I did not use the time as an excuse to overeat. Eat mindfully.

How I knew I need to keep logging, even though I have reached my goal weight: when the app was down, a bit of my brain said "now you can have a third lamb cutlet".
  • Wait. Enter it when it's back up
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i reload and usually the second or third time, i get a working page.

otherwise i email myself what i ate and add it when the site's back up.