Help?! 1000-1200 cal. A day plus 1 hr exercise and not loosing an ounce....

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    How long have you been doing this? It will take several weeks for the scale to begin to move. It's not overnight
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited September 2020
    At 5’4”, 143lbs, .5 lb/week, sedentary gives me >1400 calories, it’s rare to have a day where that’s all I eat. My year long tracking trend has shown I can eat back all of my earned calories as calculated by my Garmin and still lose as the expected rate. Some days that’s close to 1000 extra!

It took a couple/few weeks for me to settle into a relatively normal, predictable rhythm for daily CICO. Some were high, some low. I had to learn what the calorie value of foods was.

Maybe rethink your foods? You don’t have to eat “healthy” to lose weight. Is what you are doing now sustainable for the long haul? Is this what and how you want to eat for the foreseeable future? If not, start adding in some other options to boost the calories. Full fat dressing instead of low fat. An ounce or two of nuts or nut butter. I enjoy either ice cream or a bowl of cereal before bed every night. IF doesn’t work for everyone, if you need more time to fuel your body (because that’s what calories are) then take away the time constraints. You might feel fine and dandy now but eventually your body will protest. Hair loss, brittle nails, heart palpitations or worse!
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    you can try weighing yourself every two days. Week is too short to notice difference with water retention and intestines stuff. As you can easily have o 2 pounds difference in either way.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    For nutrition You need minimum of 1200 Calories. Why so low?
    One week? Not enough time to get a trend. Patience, and eat more.
  • tassiaocalla
    tassiaocalla Posts: 12 Member
    I was doing the same sort of thing, having 1000-ish cals per day, eating only between 1pm-9pm, and found I wasn't losing anything.

I'm now eating more (still healthy things, obvs), but making sure to eat breakfast as well, and snacking on veggies during the day, so I can properly reach 1200-1400 calories, with exercise, and now I'm losing more steadily. So it could be that you're not eating enough, so that's why your body is plateau-ing - it's not getting enough energy, so it's storing whatever food it can as fat.

I'm not a nutritionist, but eating a bit more worked for me when I was plateau-ing.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    edited September 2020
    One week isn't enough time to really tell by the scale. Give it some more time and you will start to notice progress. Trust me, the diet is having an effect. With your intake and expenditure numbers you will start to see the fat melt off quickly. I did similar cals on a low carb diet and lost 65lbs in 6 months without much exercise. Started at 235 lbs (37M) now down to 170 and been maintaining weight but improving my body over the last 8 months.

It's all about nutrition. Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition.

Edit: I went into your diary after I posted this. You might want to re-think the food you're eating. White bread, french fries, white rice, cereal, jam, pasta have little to no nutrition besides providing you with energy. You had chicken thighs in one but almost equal calories in sweet baby ray's bbq sauce. I also see you are taking a whey protein milkshake? I've never been a fan of getting my nutrition from a powder and choose to go with more natural food like, a cow?

I give my opinions on nutrition a lot these days but recognize that there are different theories that also work. Weight loss depends on calories in and calories out and there are many ways to do that. What isn't mentioned enough if that your body needs nutrition to perform bodily functions. Nutrient dense food is critical to building a strong, healthy body. The white bread, rice, cereal is all high cal, high carb, low nutrition food and basically a waste of calorie quota. I personally am a big believer in the keto diet which is high fat and low carb. I also believe in the concepts behind Paleo which focuses on eating food in it's most natural form as possible. Fasting is also very important. Your body does important work when you are not eating - look up Autophagy. I only eat one meal a day and don't crave food or feel hungry.

Some of the foods I eat are any meat besides lean chicken or turkey, trout or salmon, broccolli, ceasar salad with lots of bacon, organic eggs, green beans, bok choy. Lots of green coniferous vegetables. For desert it's usually a really high fat no sugar yogurt (10-11% fat) and berries. I eat lots of nuts usually 1-2 hand fulls a day. They are packed with nutrition and make a perfect snack. I also eat dark chocolate preferably if it has nuts in it.

Like I said, there are many different approaches. This is my approach and it's been working for me and I'm loving the food I'm eating (bacon tastes so good). Last thing, don't get the idea that you have to be supremely rigid with your diet. Cheating is ok sometimes (tonight is pizza night for me). Just make considerations about how much nutrition you are actually getting from the cals you are consuming.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I am female, 56 years old, 5'7" and started Mfp this spring over 200 lbs. I chose sedentary as my activity level and was given the same calories as OP. I also walk 5-6x a week and lift weights 4x a week. Be sure to eat some of your exercise calories back. Be patient. You are most likely holding on to water weight. I have lost 46.5 lbs since March. From May through July I lost at a rate of three pounds a month. Two pounds a week is not necessarily true for everyone. Don't give up and just keep at it OP. You will succeed.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    There is a useful link (posted in another MFP thread): https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Others have said this, but I would suspect that you are eating too little. I am 5'11" and I find that eating 1200 cals per day is far too little for me and that I lose more consistently when I eat a little bit more, so my aim (before exercise calories), as suggested by mfp, is 1390 cals per day. I also eat try to eat a good balance of vegetables, fibre containing carbs (brown bread, brown rice), and protein. Even then, as others have said, plateaux are common along the journey: my own weight loss has been "stalled" between 80.5 and 80.0 kg for nearly three weeks, but this morning I was finally below 80 kg. It goes in fits and starts, up one day, down the next. I do weigh every day because it halps me to know that, but i also have a spreadsheet so I can remind myself of what has happened over the past few weeks/months: mfp will do that for you if you log your weight.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 338 Member
    I have had the same happen to me over the past few years. I would lose about 10 pounds, then stall out for weeks making no progress or fighting to maintain it, then start gaining it back, plus sometimes more. This year I did an elimination diet to figure out what was causing irritation or distress to my intestines. Then I continued to keep those foods out of my diet and cut back to an average of 1150-1300 calories daily. I typically burn between 2000 and 2150 daily. I have dropped almost 20 pounds since April and lost a lot of inches off my waist (no more inflamed gut). This is a first for me in in 6 years.

Now I'm where I am my weight loss has slowed a little, but so far each week when I weigh in there's still some small progress since the previous week. The only times there is no progress is when I eat something I shouldn't have. A couple weeks ago I went to eat sushi and I think there was gluten in the roll filling. I gained 2.5 pounds immediately overnight even though my calories for the day were at a deficit of -750 cals.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    I think nobody has to force themself to eat above satiety point. If you feel full, it means all your natural satiety quies are in place. Mother nature made everything for us to keep us strong and healthy. This is natural condition of human to be strong, healthy and happy. Why to bother with changing it ? Millions years of natural evolution premade this for us
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 75 Member
    danielle71686 you've just started, be patient. 1-2 lbs a week isn't "average". 1 lb a week is great! You want to keep it off. I eat 1900-2000 & 200 or so carbs per day. I exercise a lot. Had a couple of wks I didn't lose anything, but then next wk, I lost 2.5 lbs. You can easily up your exercise. Watch the salad dressings, you can thin them w/water. An incentive to exercise more, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. Muscle takes up 22% less space than fat. Concentrate on eating healthy & recommend you focus on measurements, not so much weight. Food prep helps.