Getting Dizzy After Weight Loss

Options
Simbii95
Simbii95 Posts: 25 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everyone! Hope y'all doing well! In the past 5 months ive lost about 10kg. Ive been doing the Insanity Program and eating good and healthy. What ive noticed is lately ive been having a bit of dizziness when I stand up real quick or jump out of bad. Even during my workouts if I have to get up real quick such as during suicides, I feel im getting a little light headed. Has anyone else had something similar or is this one for the doctor? Id appreciate the help. Also, is this rate of weight loss healthy or have I messed up? Thank you so much!!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Are you eating back your exercise calories? Are you drinking enough water?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    In addition to @harper16's questions, what is your daily sodium intake like?
  • Simbii95
    Options
    Ive been eating between 1800-2000. I never had this issue before only after losing weight. Hydration may be an issue I think tbh
  • Simbii95
    Options
    ive actually been avoiding sodium as much as possible haha. Yeah im new to all this so if im making any stupid mistakes please do educate me
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    you need some sodium, especially if you're sweating a lot. if you're not hydrating, that's unhealthy, particularly if you're sweating a lot. drink water!!! your body is made of it, your blood is mostly water, and if you don't replace it, your body can't function well and you put a much greater strain on it.

but there are other things it could be. low blood sugar, low blood pressure, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, for starters. and lots more. are you eating enough protein? extremely low carbs? high sugar?

if hydrating doesn't do the trick, a trip to the doctor for a blood panel might discover something like anemia.
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I know if my heart rate is really high from exercise and then I do anything where my head is below my heart (mountain climbers, downdog, stretching etc) I sometimes get a rush of dizziness. I suspect this is just head rush because my hearts pumping hard and then I woosh myself into a non-normal position.

But it sounds like you name want to pay attention to stuff mentioned and if there’s no improvement visit your doc.
  • anacline
    anacline Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've experienced something similar, and with more and more weight loss it progressed into also going blind for a few minutes, and eventually fainting. It would happen especially when standing up (even slowly), exercising, taking warm (not even hot) or cold showers, and eventually just any random time. I would get dizzy and go blind almost every day. My logs show it happening 2 times right after waking up before getting out of bed, 10 times while taking a shivering cold shower, 2 times during midterms, 1 time while I was sitting in my car at a red light, 5 times while sitting and studying. 3 times while watching Netflix, and 1 time while on a walk with a friend, 30 times while standing up normally. I would faint about 1 time every 2 weeks, 2 times while exercising, 5 times while taking a warm shower, 2 times while sitting and studying, 5 times while standing up quickly (2 of those times were on a buss). I started logging to try to present to a GP.

General practitioners will not do anything to help you and will tell you this is normal. I went to 5 general practitioners in College Station Texas who all were along the same lines of useless.

I tried, all sorts of vitamins to see if it might be a vitamin deficiency, iron supplements, increasing salt, decreasing salt. Nothing worked. The only way for me to make it stop was to gain back weight.

If you go to the GP be prepared for doctors to drop gems like "carry around candy and eat it all the time to see if that will stop it." "You followed my instructions from last visit? I don't remember that? You're eating too much sugar, that's why you were passing out", "You're probably pre-diabetic" "Your blood sugar levels and blood pressure are a bit low, but that's fine, it's a sign of good health, maybe eat some candy to stop blood sugar drops", "I think the fact you're getting dizzy randomly is a sign you're getting healthy." and said in the most vitriolic tone: "If you want to be fat, be fat, I don't care!"
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    PS Can’t edit the above, just wanted to add, this assumes you recover quickly. If it hangs on longer, then it’s a good idea to see doc. When you were heavier you probably weren’t jumping around like this so it wasn’t an issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Simbii95 wrote: »
    ive actually been avoiding sodium as much as possible haha. Yeah im new to all this so if im making any stupid mistakes please do educate me

How's your blood pressure? Mine used to be low and I was often light headed on standing. I ate a lot less salt then. Now I eat a lot more salt, my blood pressure is normal, and I only get light headed when my anemia gets out of control.

I've just mentioned two medical issues that can cause light-headedness - best not to self-diagnose - see your doctor.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

How's your blood pressure? Mine used to be low and I was often light headed on standing. I ate a lot less salt then. Now I eat a lot more salt, my blood pressure is normal, and I only get light headed when my anemia gets out of control.

I've just mentioned two medical issues that can cause light-headedness - best not to self-diagnose - see your doctor.

I had the same, low blood pressure and feeling light headed and dizzy when standing up quickly but eating a bit more salt really helped.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Are you on a medication?...it might be too strong since your weight changed...why not ask your doctor?
  • Simbii95
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Im not on any medication and have no underlying medical condition that im aware or anyways. The doctors and much of the internet doesn't have much to offer if anything. The same old eat more food, drink more water, increase sodium. Its strange because I had my first black out today. Was laying down on the cough and as I got up (I did get up a bit quickly) I just saw black and heard a crash. When I came too I realized I was on the floor. Incredibly bizarre and frightening experience. Ive lost 25ish pounds over the last 5 months mainly through caloric deficit and the Insanity workout. Im just surprised as I thought my CVS should get stronger not this. Im not sue I guess ill experiment with different things see what makes this go away because other than an inconvenience its just frightening. Thanks everyone!!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! Im not on any medication and have no underlying medical condition that im aware or anyways. The doctors and much of the internet doesn't have much to offer if anything. The same old eat more food, drink more water, increase sodium. Its strange because I had my first black out today. Was laying down on the cough and as I got up (I did get up a bit quickly) I just saw black and heard a crash. When I came too I realized I was on the floor. Incredibly bizarre and frightening experience. Ive lost 25ish pounds over the last 5 months mainly through caloric deficit and the Insanity workout. Im just surprised as I thought my CVS should get stronger not this. Im not sue I guess ill experiment with different things see what makes this go away because other than an inconvenience its just frightening. Thanks everyone!!

You went to the doctor's?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Up your sodium and other electrolytes. The lower your sodium the less water your body will retain in order to maintain a balance.

Itd be good to get your blood pressure checked. I bought an at home monitor in order to check every morning to establish a base line.

I definitely agree going to a doctor. Vertigo isnt good.
  • Simbii95
    Options
    @harper16 Yeah I did. They didn't really do much for me. They just took my bp and said all is normal. Resting bp was normal and so is blood glucose and stuff. They just gave me some regular advice like oh slow down when getting up and stuff, increase ur sodium like @jessef593 and everyone else said, increase hydration and food, but nothing else. Todays black out and waking up on the floor scared the crap outta me. Docs just said oh it happens to some people after weight loss but couldn't really offer me a proper reason or a definitive fix for it lol
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ask your MD to refer you for a "Tilt-Table Test."