Losing weight with fibromyalgia and in constant pain

Options
Hi
My name is Bernie i am 41 years old I have ashamedly let myself get to 21.5 stone (I was more but I have lost some already) and I need to lose some weight for my health.
I have fibromyalgia, a bad back and hip from a fall and all the extra weight I carry around and to be honest hurt pretty much everywhere everyday and the weight isn’t helping.
Because of the pain I am in exercising is out at the moment, I can’t stand for more than a few moments without my back pain been unbearable and If I walk for more than a couple of mins I have the same problem.
Is anyone else in a similar situation ? I would love to have a friend that knows how I feel and can be on this journey with me.
Good luck to you all
Bernie x

Replies

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia and have bad feet from an auto accident in my twenties. I have lost 45 pounds this year through diet alone, and while I have 80-100 more to lose, I have found a lot of pain went away and my mobility is much greater. So if you just work on the diet end of things, you'll get relief very quickly. I noticed much less pain about 15 pounds in.

As to exercise, I figured out that using weight machines works for me, since I won't be walking on treadmills soon. What I do there is exercise just to the point I feel my muscles working, then stop. But I do that every day. That way my body says, "Oh, we shove weight around every day, no big deal" and adjusts, just as it did when I moved into a house with an upstairs bedroom. Then, when that weight or number of repetitions gets easy, I do it a few more times, again til I feel the muscles, and keep doing it at that point. Gradually I find myself strengthening.

You may want to check out water exercise/aerobics. It takes the weight off your back and lets you move freely.
  • parkerbernadette2267
    Options
    Thank you for you advise it has been very helpful x
  • Flakeyzebra
    Flakeyzebra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely,

I also have Fibromyalgia, CFS, PCOS and other autoimmune issues that mean I can't move about as much as I'd like or hinder weight loss.

Have you looked into pacing? A year ago I was literally bed bound but pacing has considerably changed my life.

Feel free to add me as a friend and we can help support each other. ❤️
  • parkerbernadette2267
    Options
    What’s pacing? And yes I will add you as a friend thank you xx
  • Flakeyzebra
    Flakeyzebra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's essentially not pushing yourself, it's a bit more complex than that but that's the just of it.