HELP! What is wrong???

Options
I have been working really hard to loose a few pounds that are just "stuck". For the last 20 days I have reduced my caloric intake and have started exercising 3-4 times per week. I have been eating an average of 1200 calories (or a little less) per day and have only lost .5 pounds in 3 weeks. I should also point out that I am a vegan and eat a "clean" diet so I know that it is not the types of food I am eating (eat nothing processed, etc). I want to lose about 7 pounds to be at my ideal weight and it just won't budge. I have never dieted before, what am I doing wrong?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Try and eat some of those calories back that you earn during exercise :] your body will thank you :flowerforyou:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have read that some people need to actually increase their calories slightly for a week or two and then go back down to the 1200 and that will allow their bodies to readjust and start losing weight again. Also what type of exercising are you doing? Be sure to do cardio and weightlifting. Good luck!!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough calories. 1200 is the minimum that you should eat, so you should always strive to eat at least that much. Also, eat back some or all of your exercise calories. You could be putting your body into starvation mode by not eating enough since you are both reducing your calories and burning at the gym.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What is your water intake? I started drinking half of what i weigh in ounces and it upped my weight loss. I also stopped eating 3 hours before bedtime.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you're only trying to lose a few pounds, are they the LAST few pounds? If they are, you will have to eat more and exercise more, restrict alcohol & sodium a bit more and really chug your water.
  • amityc
    amityc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing the elliptical trainer 2x per week for an hour and a pilates class to build muscle once per week with the addition of the occasional kickboxing class.
  • duvlady
    Options
    You are putting on muscle more than likely, which is good. Depends upon your age, I would think 1200 cal. would be very little - especially with exercising. I'd bump that up 200 perhaps. If your body goes into "starvation mode" you won't loose. Did you do any body measurements before starting? Although the scale may not show it - you may be really toning up. You could also try (depends upon what you are doing) munching all day instead of 3 squares.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 and exercising but not eating back your exercise calories, that would be your issue. You're netting too low.
  • amityc
    Options
    They are the last few pounds in a sense, they are the only few pounds. I didn't have a lot to lose but I know this isn't my ideal weight. I don't drink alcohol and get very little sodium because I mostly eat unprocessed food and add just a little sea salt to the food I make at home. I definitely need to up my water intake. Is 8 glasses per day still the going amount? I know I am nowhere near that.
  • amityc
    Options
    I thought the same thing! I didn't do measurements but I know how my clothes fit and there has been absolutely no change. I have a lot of natural muscle tone in my arms and calves (thanks to good genes) and they instantly tone up but my problem areas, tummy and thighs, are just not changing.
  • kbar1124
    Options
    There are 3 things probably going on here:
    1. You're probably putting your body into starvation mode. If you eat under 1100 cal/day no matter what sort of exercise you preformed, you can trigger a starvation response. You can imagine that that was beneficial for our ancient ancestors to have that mechanism during times of famine, but for modern times it's just annoying. Instead of cutting calories, exercise more. You're body will be much happier giving up the weight if you exercise more and eat moderately than just dieting alone. For example, say you only exercise 20 min cardio everyday but you eat 1000 calories then you are in a calorie deficeit of 850 calories and triggering your starvation mechanism. But say you eat 1350 calories and do cardio exercise for an hour you still have the same calorie loss but you'll experience less hunger cravings and more weight loss. Plus exercise curbs your hunger because it stabilizes insulin highs and lows.
    2. You may be putting on muscle mass. If you don't exercise a lot regularly you may be building muscle. WHICH IS A GOOD THING!!! You need to assess your body fat % more than your weight. If you weigh 150 lbs and are 30% body fat you actually have 45 pounds of fat hanging off your body, lets say you work out for 2 months like crazy and you still weight 150 lbs but your body fat is now 25% you have 27.5 pounds of fat on you. Technically you lost 17.5 pounds of fat!!! That's pretty significant. You have to remember that muscle weighs way more than fat does because muscle is much more dense. For instance, Michael Phelps is 6'4" and 200 pounds. If that was the stats of a sedetary person they would be considered obese by the BMI scale...Does he look obese to you? Hell no! He's all muscle. Even Apollo Anton Ohno would be considered overweight. So in short even if the scale doesn't look like it's changing, the true test will be your jeans. If you increase your muscle density you will shrink in size even if you weigh the same.
    3. You have to mind what you put into your body. Eating healthy is so so so important! If you have a diet of 1100 calories but all you're eating is ****, you're going to gain weight. Sorry, you will. You could have 1 cheese burger from BK and that's all you eat all day and you won't loose as much weight as eating brown rice and vegi stir fry, oatmeal, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and whole grains. Your body will work better on long acting fuels. Choose foods with a low glycemic index (GI) to reduce hunger pains. When you eat simple sugars your body floods your system with insulin to uptake into your cells but then leaves you starving. If you eat foods that have a low GI then they have a prolonged and steady release of fuel into your body.

Hope this helps. I know it's long!